on 1 February 2014
Beautifully written and well developed characters - but not a crime thriller, not thrilling, and no real crime committed. I bought the Kindle edition based on the Amazon description, and that is why i am writing this review - if you like a well developed, well thought out story where love develops from unlikely circumstances, and you can really get a good feel for the characters, then you will like this book. But as a crime novel fan I have to admit to being rather disappointed, waiting and waiting for a twist or unexpected development in the plot, and for the 'crime thriller' to get going.. A good read if you like a good personal interest story, but if you're a crime/detection fan maybe give it a miss.
on 24 July 2001
Silver is a fabulously talented but troubled musician who has been on the road for almost all his adult life, neglecting his wife and kids in the process. After a Christmas gig in Paris he decides enough is enough and leaves the tour early to be with his family and finally settle down. His wife has other plans. She has had enough and is about to tell him just that. In an alcohol-fuelled daze, Silver grabs his twin daughters and storms out of the house. The ensuing tragedy, investigated by high-ranking police officer Sam Cobb, himself struggling with personal and emotional trauma, leaves Silver overcome with guilt. The story then skilfully weaves around Silvers survival and experiences as a nobody, Cobbs' attempts to prove Silver is dead and Silvers distraught wife. The story unfolds as their lives become intertwined with each of them trying to rid themselves of their demons. A great read with a wonderful twist that will keep you enthralled until the last sentence.
on 27 January 2014
Having seen many positive results I was disappointed in this book. The writing itself is ok but the story is so drawn out and long winded I lost interest about 40% through and then just skim read till the last predictable chapter. For me the main characters were far too broken to bring enough life to the story. I would not recommend this book sorry.
on 5 April 2013
I'm going to keep this brief because the best advice if you haven't already done so is to buy and read it. It's damned good. Pace and characterisation throughout are brilliantly handled so that you're drawn into the gripping drama as it unfolds. In the best tradition this is a great story, beautifully told. I've also recommended this to some reading groups. I'm not going to describe more about the plot or characterisations as others have done this. The best thing you can do is stop dithering and shell out the price of a Sunday newspaper to buy it. And if you can't afford both, it's no contest.
Redemption Blues sold a million copies on first release which very much makes it an international bestseller. When you start reading you'll see why.
VINE VOICEon 28 March 2013
This is a gem of a book; finely wrought, finely written... Beautifully written, actually, literate and engaging...with some of the most fully fleshed, achingly human characters I've read in a long, long time. The compassion of the relationship between Sam Cobb and his father is a delight, but the slowly growing love between Sam, the policeman, and the nine year old girl who survives the car crash that kills her sister is an utter delight. The slowly rising tension is painful, but never unbearable and the denouement is perfect. If you enjoyed GONE GIRL, you'll love this. Highly recommended.
on 10 February 2014
T D Griggs writes really well; his descriptions are good ('though there were perhaps a few too many 'pearl' skies) and I enjoyed the story he told. The problem for me was that the characters were rather wooden and not very credible. I do realise that they were all dysfunctional following some kind of trauma, but even so, they were very one dimensional. Warning: spoiler alert!
One of the central characters, Silver, is a rich and famous rock star. I have real difficulty believing that he would readily accept the grim and sordid life of an anonymous, homeless, penniless tramp after a car accident, even given the guilt he would have felt at causing the death of one of his daughters. We don't get to know Cobb, the main protagonist, very well. Granted, he is mourning the loss of his wife, but there is nothing else interesting about this man to bring him to life. Another central character, Silver's wife, is an unattractive character (yes, I know she's been though the mill too, but it's hard to feel sympathy for her). So what is it that suddenly draws her and Cobb together? Not credible, I'm afraid.
on 5 January 2016
I agree with some of the reviews saying this is not a crime thriller. There are crimes (legal and moral) and the story is gripping enough to make me want to read on, but there are few plot twists and the tension comes through character development more than unexpected events.
I strongly disagree with the reviews that say the characters are incredible or one dimensional and note several of these admit to either not finishing or merely skim reading. The subtle character development and the interplay of wants, needs and aspirations is the heart and joy of this book. Maybe those who are critical need a more blatant and simpler description to «get it».
I read this having read "The end of winter" which I also enjoyed very much and recommend. The set up and context is very different so T D Griggs is far from formulaic, but is better at male character insight and development. I was saddened to learn that he is dead as I was looking forward to reading more of his works. The good seem to die young.
on 5 March 2014
I bought this book having read another of TD Griggs' books, The End of Winter, being a crime thriller / whodunnit style book. Having really enjoyed this, and found it well written, I purchased Redemption Blues (also subtitled "A Crime Thriller" on my Kindle) and am unsure as to how to react to it.

On the one hand, the book was very well written. I am always wary of any book which contains as a main character a caricature of a rock star, but this was well handled and not at all how I imagined after the first few pages. Some of the story was predictable, other parts filled with unexpected twists, but it was most definitely NOT a crime thriller, unlike the other book I had read. I've marked this as 4* because, despite that, I did thoroughly enjoy the book! I would recommend it to most, although for the life of me I can't quite figure out why! Odd review, odd book, very enjoyable.
on 18 February 2014
Really struggled to finish. Very drawn out story, disappointed overall and especially at the ending!
It will entertain you for a little while anyway
on 1 May 2015
I had never heard of the author but I really enjoyed Redemption Blues.Though I agree with some reviewers that it is not a crime thriller It works on several other intertwined levels and many of the characters are believable; in fact I have known and worked among rock musicians, country people and unfortunates like those portrayed. The story line is well developed and despite some of the twists being fairly obvious, they still hold the structure together and build nicely. I believe the book comes close to closing the gap between popular and literary fiction and will be buying the other works by this author in the hope that they will be equally satisfying.