on 20 September 2015
When it works, it works well, but it's not particularly stable when extending the range of our Virgin Media Hub. Easy to set up either using the quick set up. Once we started using it we came across a few issues either - it would drop signal with no warning or it would ask for the admin password and try to log into the extender. The same occurred on two laptops, two iPads, and iPhone and a Samsung Note 3.

The second and more serious issue is to do with the default web configuration page. For simplicity the original firmware allows it to be accessed using tplinkextender.net however if it connects to the actual site on the web rather than the router then malware is downloaded (TP Link didn't think to buy and secure this domain) This is a major problem and I found it trying to visit the actual website even when I was configuring the extender.

You can prevent this issue by downloading new firmware here http://www.tp-link.com/en/download/TL-WA860RE_V1.html#Firmware (you'll need to unzip the file) then disconnecting your original wi-fi point from the net (keep it on - just disconnect the physical internet cable), then plugging in and configuring the extender as per instructions, accessing the extender on http://192.168.0.20/, and using the firmware upgrade on the extender's menu to install the new firmware. You can now reconnect the internet cable to your wi-fi point and safely use the extender.

To be honest, I don't know why the product wasn't recalled by TP-Link'. It's totally inexcusable to expose purchasers to this risk
66 comments|170 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 3 December 2013
First to get honesty out the way , although a very regular customer I bought mine from Argos , it was £1 dearer but I had a £10 voucher to use up and have just got a new tablet so wanted to see if I could extend my Wi-Fi now without waiting the few extra days for delivery.

Now I am usually one of those unlucky or jinxed so and so,s so especially around Christmas time no matter how "simple" or "plug and go" or "universal" or easy to set up and gadgets and gizmos are that I usually end up spending hours getting the damned things working , if I have resisted the temptation to simply bin it.

However with this Extender I as normal opted for the easy option first plugged it in pressed the wps button on the router , pressed the button on the extender and after about 90 seconds it was sorted.
The one thing I found perhaps its just me the process of the flashing lights and in particular what should and should not be flashing could be better explained as I at first thought I was having my usual gadget problems until it dawned on me that it was ok.

I must admit I did not waste ant time trying different spots for it , I already knew where my Wi-Fi was weakest , the kitchen , conservatory and living room , plugged it in the kitchen switched on tablet and BANG full strength Wi-Fi.

I am very very pleased both with the item and with myself for buying it.

I would not put anyone off buying one of these as its worked for me.
66 comments|207 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 17 October 2013
As usual I'd read the 1 or 2 star reviews with trepidation, but that was offset by the good ones, so I went ahead.

On receipt, I read the quick start guide, but I'd read and bookmarked a review that explained a very simple setup using a tablet or smartphone, so tried that first. Less than 2 minutes later I had a fully functioning repeater on my wifi network. The procedure is -

- Turn on the repeater
- Wait a couple of minutes. The power and wireless lights will be on
- Search using your tablet or smartphone for the TP-Link wifi signal and connect to it
- A browser window pops up and leads you through selection of the wifi network you want to repeat, entering the password if relevant
- The repeater does its business and locks on to the network in question, confirmed by the relevant light. The TP-Link wifi signal will now disappear from your tablet or smartphone if you refresh the search
- Wait a couple of minutes, and the signal strength indicators come on showing how strong the signal from your primary router is
- Move the repeater to where you need it to be, and plug it in to a spare socket.
- Wait at least 2-3 minuites for the unit to sort itself out
- The signal strength indicators need to show they have a connection with your router

Bingo, you're in business. You will only see the name of the network you've connected it to, wherever you are on your premises, and you can move around at will without worrying about whether your signal is coming from your router or the repeater.
on 13 August 2013
I had reservations as to whether this would do what it said, so just bought one to begin with. (On this occasion it was for my son's house where there are two levels separated by reinforced concrete floors and thick concrete walls.) I tried one and found it easy to set up the link with the unit close to the router, then by moving it to other locations to see what the signal strength was (even a single bar on the blue indicator scale seems enough) it was possible to find an optimum position to extend the range. After that I went on to get a second one and spread the coverage further. We may go for a third one after experimenting with these two for a while. Plus, after upgrading my own router I will seriously consider trying one or more in my own house. (I need to find out what the range is like anyway with the new router.) It is essential the router has a "WPS" button on it for initial setup, in which case it's only necessary to press that followed by the one on the link and the rest is just automatic. The new area covered by the range extender seems to be lifted to full strength as though close to the router itself, so all devices like smartphones and tablets work fine and laptops don't need hard wired links by e.g. ethernet links over the power system. I had heard that these extenders can be "daisychained" and so relay from one to another, but some elementary tests I carried out seemed to indicate that each one needed to pick up the signal from the router itself so requires to be within range of that.
11 comment|80 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 5 October 2015
Style Name: AC1900 Mbps|Size: AC Dual Band|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I have been very impressed with this Wi-Fi range extender which I've now had the pleasure of using for 24 hours.

Essentially this product takes your existing Wi-Fi network and amplifies the signal that it receives, thereby extending your network.

The key to this is that it is great at picking up the network and then sending it out again just as strong if not stronger than before.

Set up wasn't too hard, I just used the accompanying software and followed the steps.

Once it had been installed it was a bit of an anticlimax, it just worked. the signal was way way stronger, in-fact it covered a fair few more houses than just ours. Which was perfect, as there's no 3G or 4G in our area.

The actual device is fairly small and unobtrusive - I liked the addition of 5 Ethernet ports on the router, it meant we could easily connect our desktop and printers (finally moving our printers away from the old router which was badly placed but had to be there due to the phone connection).

So when should you buy this? Well if you have a Wi-Fi network which isn't strong enough to cover your whole home or if you find that the speeds drop in parts of your home. This just looks like any other router - in fact it's quite stylish.

In theory if you have a ridiculously large home you could have two of these plus your original router - but I don't think that this would be necessary given how powerful this is.

This is a great product that is well made and easy to set up. 5 stars
on 30 January 2015
As a bit of a gadget geek i do like to try things out. This is a great wifi extender and i use mine to extend wifi to my garage at the bottom of my garden for my Sonos system. Thats about 30m - remember that angle of signal and wall type;thickness and number between source and target have an effect on range. The through socket is great too for those of us with not many sockets
review image
on 13 July 2013
Worked like a dream. I spent 2 mins reading the Quick Installation Guide, ignored the set-up disc and went for the WPS option. Plugged the unit in close to my router, pressed the WPS button on the router and then the button on the front of the unit. Less than a minute later had a solid blue light against the 'RE' LED ('wireless' light flashes - but that is the norm). Unplugged the unit and moved it into another room to extend the wireless signal into the garden. 30 secs or so later the 'RE' light was solid again and I was able to connect my iPad out in the garden. Even switched the unit off at the socket overnight and it quickly picked up the router again next morning.

If you have a WPS button on your router, forget the install disc - you will just be making life hard for yourself!
on 14 January 2016
No matter what I did I couldn't get it to work. I followed the instructions enclosed and even tried many online forums and fixes but still no joy. I do have a fair bit of computer knowledge. Supposed to be easy but lost my rag after many unsuccessful wasted hours. Maplin were happy to refund though.
on 4 January 2016
Cheap and easy way to extend dual band 2.4 and 5ghz networks with ethernet too!

I got this product over the similar TPlink product as this also supports 5Ghz networks too.

you can use the same SSID or give it a new name for both the 2.4 and 5GHz networks respectively.

We now have full strength wifi throughout the house with the bonus that my daughter can plug her computer in via the ethernet port and have a wired connection.
review image
on 29 August 2014
Okay - I'll start by saying that this review is for the RE200 AC750 dual band range extender - for some reason Amazon have lumped all the reviews for a few similar TP-Link range extenders into the pot here, which can be a little confusing.

I'm a big TP-Link fan - I've had a couple of their ADSL routers, and the latest (dual band TDW8980) is great. I've also had one of their earlier range extenders (WA830RE) which has worked brilliantly for us. But I wanted a range extender that would take advantage of the router's 2.4GHz & 5GHz connections - hence the decision to buy the RE200.

First impressions - it's small and neat - aesthetically much nicer than the WA830RE it replaced. No external aerials to fit and angle appropriately - and although this makes it more pleasing to the eye (and therefore acceptable to my other half), I fear that's ultimately its downfall when it comes to performance. The signal strength on both 2.4GHz and 5GHz connections is not as good or consistent as the 2.4GHz wireless connection we were getting from its predecessor ( sited in exactly the same location). The connection rises and falls from full strength to one bar frequently and for no obvious reason. So I am rather disappointed, though if we hadn't had the previous range extender to compare it to, I suspect my disappointment wouldn't have been quite so great.

On the plus side, it's a doddle to set up and it's never actually lost the connection - it's just frustratingly variable.