1,218 Reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars TP LINK EXTENDER BRILLIANT !!!!!!!!!
First to get honesty out the way , although a very regular customer I bought mine from Argos , it was £1 dearer but I had a £10 voucher to use up and have just got a new tablet so wanted to see if I could extend my Wi-Fi now without waiting the few extra days for delivery.

Published 15 months ago by Big Andy

3.0 out of 5 stars Works OK
Published 3 months ago by Karrade

5.0 out of 5 stars TP LINK EXTENDER BRILLIANT !!!!!!!!!, 3 Dec. 2013
This review is from: TP-LINK TL-WA850RE 300Mbps Universal Wall Plug Range Extender/ Wi-Fi Booster (WPS function, Easy Configuration) (Accessory)

Now I am usually one of those unlucky or jinxed so and so,s so especially around Christmas time no matter how "simple" or "plug and go" or "universal" or easy to set up and gadgets and gizmos are that I usually end up spending hours getting the damned things working , if I have resisted the temptation to simply bin it.

However with this Extender I as normal opted for the easy option first plugged it in pressed the wps button on the router , pressed the button on the extender and after about 90 seconds it was sorted.
The one thing I found perhaps its just me the process of the flashing lights and in particular what should and should not be flashing could be better explained as I at first thought I was having my usual gadget problems until it dawned on me that it was ok.

I must admit I did not waste ant time trying different spots for it , I already knew where my Wi-Fi was weakest , the kitchen , conservatory and living room , plugged it in the kitchen switched on tablet and BANG full strength Wi-Fi.

I am very very pleased both with the item and with myself for buying it.

I would not put anyone off buying one of these as its worked for me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Could not believe how easy and effective this was, 13 Aug. 2013
I had reservations as to whether this would do what it said, so just bought one to begin with. (On this occasion it was for my son's house where there are two levels separated by reinforced concrete floors and thick concrete walls.) I tried one and found it easy to set up the link with the unit close to the router, then by moving it to other locations to see what the signal strength was (even a single bar on the blue indicator scale seems enough) it was possible to find an optimum position to extend the range. After that I went on to get a second one and spread the coverage further. We may go for a third one after experimenting with these two for a while. Plus, after upgrading my own router I will seriously consider trying one or more in my own house. (I need to find out what the range is like anyway with the new router.) It is essential the router has a "WPS" button on it for initial setup, in which case it's only necessary to press that followed by the one on the link and the rest is just automatic. The new area covered by the range extender seems to be lifted to full strength as though close to the router itself, so all devices like smartphones and tablets work fine and laptops don't need hard wired links by e.g. ethernet links over the power system. I had heard that these extenders can be "daisychained" and so relay from one to another, but some elementary tests I carried out seemed to indicate that each one needed to pick up the signal from the router itself so requires to be within range of that.

5.0 out of 5 stars TP-Link Wireless Range Extender TL-WA850RE, 13 July 2013
Worked like a dream. I spent 2 mins reading the Quick Installation Guide, ignored the set-up disc and went for the WPS option. Plugged the unit in close to my router, pressed the WPS button on the router and then the button on the front of the unit. Less than a minute later had a solid blue light against the 'RE' LED ('wireless' light flashes - but that is the norm). Unplugged the unit and moved it into another room to extend the wireless signal into the garden. 30 secs or so later the 'RE' light was solid again and I was able to connect my iPad out in the garden. Even switched the unit off at the socket overnight and it quickly picked up the router again next morning.

If you have a WPS button on your router, forget the install disc - you will just be making life hard for yourself!

3.0 out of 5 stars Works OK, 10 Nov. 2014
Set-up is fairly simple as long as you are concentrating while you are doing it and once set up it works OK. We certainly have more wifi coverage around the house. Where we had no service we now have 1-2 bars which is useable for surfing etc but I wouldn't try to stream movies in these rooms. There is a bit of an issue with this little box where it suddenly crashes for no reason... the crash is a little strange because our network is still fully accessible through the TP Link but there is suddenly no internet available and we get the "Limited access" yellow triangle. Re-booting the TP Link corrects the error and this only happens every couple of days so it is not the end of the world. I'd certainly rather have this slight problem and 2 bars of service then no service at all so all is good and it is worth purchasing. I would point out that a laptop/phone can get a little confused if you sit an equal distance from both your wifi router and the TP Link... sometimes the laptop/phone can't make up it's mind which signal to connect to and starts switching from one to another so it's worth planning where to put the TP Link carfully to get optimum service from it :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Very easy to set up, 21 Nov. 2013
Very very easy to set up used wpa button the router then pressed the button on the extender 1min later job done . Only thing that confused me is that it takes the name of the router (as it is designed to do) so does nat appear to show up in the wireless network list. Does as they say what it says on the tin.

4.0 out of 5 stars Seems to work quite well for us, boosting WiFi signals in black spots - but be aware that using it can halve your network speed, 24 Jan. 2013
Keith_Joseph (West Berkshire, England) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This TP-Link unit comes in a beautifully presented classy white box clearly modelled on those for Apple's Temple of Shiny products. Slide it out and the Range Extender 13A wall plug inside looks the part, with its superb white gloss looks and (very) bright circle of blue LEDs. In amongst the box is the small mini CD containing the full manual as pdf, and a short grey RJ45 network cable for the WiFi plugs optional single 10/100 Mbps network socket. The Range Extender supports n/g/b wireless with WEP, WPA/WPA2-PSK encryptions. I plugged the TP-Link Range Extender into a 13A socket next to my WiFi router as suggested.

I have a D-Link DIR-655 Pre-n/g/b WiFi router with a 4-port 1Gb switch, beefed up with D-link's high gain DWL-50AT antennae. The router has the easy link 'WPS button' to automatically connect to other network devices similarly endowed, like this Range Extender Plug. Initially I didn't get anywhere pushing both the WPS buttons, they didn't connect. Then I found if I pushed the Range Extenders front button once, and then let the flashing WiFi active LED come on for a while, and then pushed the DIR-655 Router WPS button, and then pushed the TP-link button a second time, the two mated perfectly. The rows of LEDs on the Range Extender plug all flashed on and off for a minute or so while connecting, and then the Wireless LED stayed flashing, the `RE' LED remained on, and all 5 LEDs of the signal strength meter lit up (the Extender plug was around 10 feet from the router). This meant that my D-Link router and the TP-Link range extender had mated 'for life' and now it's a simple matter to unplug the range extender and replug it back in, in any weaker WiFi signal area, where you have say a laptop or netbook struggling to connect. If the WPS button doesn't work, the Range Extender can be set up manually using an internet browser (no software required), either by WiFi or by connecting the PC to the Range Extender using it's wired network port. The only thing I don't like about the TP-link plug, other than dazzling blue LEDs, is that there's no 13A socket on it to pass through the mains, so the unit clogs up a valuable 13A socket. And it's tall form blocks sockets on some distribution boards and is unsuitable for 2 or 3 way 13A adaptors.

As a try-out check I found the place in our bungalow front room where our wireless `g' 54 Mbps Dell Studio 17" laptop could only connect to the main D-Link router with a low (3 yellow bars) signal, saying just 36 Mbps. Plugging the TP-Link Range Extender in nearby (on an extension lead as most 13A wall sockets are buried behind things) and software disconnecting the laptop from the WiFi and reconnecting it, the Range Extender instantly upped the laptop's signal to 'excellent' 5 green bars and a full 54 Mbps speed. However all is not what it seems, using Totusoft's cheap LaN Speed Test app, the 'low' 3 yellow connection's real world speed was writing files across the network at 18 Mbps and reading files at 10 Mbps, well down from an excellent signal nearer the router of 22 Mbps for both. However via the range extender and it's `excellent signal', the Lan Speed Test app reported just 13 Mbps file write and 15 Mbps read - not a disaster and very reliable, but little better than the previous 'low' connection speed. This is simply because of how the range extender works. To quote the manual: "TP-LINK recommends that you connect to the Range Extender when your home network connection is poor, or when you want to eliminate "dead zones". In compliance with the wireless transmission protocol, the Range Extender is set to work in half-duplex not full-duplex mode. In other words, the Range Extender has to process one-way communication between your Wireless router and the clients. So the transmission time will be double-increased, while the speed will be decreased." By 'decreased', they mean that your network speed can be halved. In fact if I plug the range extender in an excellent high Wifi signal area and use it, our laptop's network file read/write speed immediately drops from 22 Mbps to 12 Mbps. So this Range Extender really is best used for blackspots in the WiFi where the connection is too weak with drop-outs to be useful - and here the TP-link Range Extender should work quite well. Elsewhere don't connect to the Range extender and keep the internet connection established before the Range Extender was powered up. As the range extender connects to the router automatically when plugged in (once mated), it's easy to just drag it out and plug it in when needed. In areas where the connection is rated low but completely reliable, it could be better to avoid using it. Our Range Extender keeps the memory of our router for weeks when disconnected from the mains, and it can remember previous routers it has been mated to. If you have a matching 300Mbps TP-Link wireless router and TP-Link 300Mbps network card in the PC/Laptop you could get network file read/write speeds running typically 3 to 4 times faster than our 54 Mbps wireless 'g' laptop, although there will still be that half duplex hit on the '300Mbps' networking speed networking via this TP-Link Ranger Extender (we prefer using the laptop internal 'g' cards as the 300Mbps 'n' laptop adaptors are quite bulky and get in the way, and our internet speed is only 6Mbps max anyway).

So within the limitations of the device, this TP-Link Range Extender works quite well. Sadly, or rather happily, in our house we don't use it often as all the desktop PC and TV's have a wired network option using our 13A mains wiring network system which provides a reliable 80 to 120 Mbps connection throughout the house (see D-Link DHP-P501AV/B Powerline 500M Homeplug AV Passthrough Starter Kit). As the D-Link PowerLine mains wired solution is superior, we don't bother with the TP-Link's optional 10/100 Mbps cable port at the base of the Extender plug (although it works well). Our WiFi signal is reserved for the likes of smartphones, an iPad and our iPod Touch's, but we find this range extender is mostly useful when used with our laptops and a netbook, as they are more difficult to move about for signal, and easier to wirelessly connect to the TP-Link Extender plug. So I think it's a 4* product, provided you have a real WiFi blackspot area and don't want to go down an alternative 13A wired PowerLine cable route. When ordering, make sure you get sent the one you want, as there are both 13A UK/Ire and Europlug versions.

3.0 out of 5 stars It works ok generally but many of the devices we ..., 4 Dec. 2014
It works ok generally but many of the devices we use get confused in the overlapping areas, they find the network but can't switch to it correctly leading to confusion as wifi signal is shown but you're not actually connected the internet.

3.0 out of 5 stars So far so good! Edit: I spoke too soon!, 19 Nov. 2013
(VINE VOICE)
For historical reasons, our telephone line enters upstairs at the rear of the house. This means that the WiFi signal is at best variable and at worst weak. Moving the router to a more central position improves this, using a long LAN cable (we are on BT infinity) but to get downstairs the signal still has to cross a wall and floor/ceiling.

This is where this device comes in handy. I found I could position the router on one side of the wall and this extender on the other side. That way, the extender receives a strong signal to forward downstairs. It works! The repeated signal is at least 8dB stronger than the original.

You may see Powerline WiFi extenders advertised too. These work well, but in a different way. With the TL-WA850RE, the repeat is on exactly the same frequency as the original and is indistinguishable from it as far as devices are concerned. The SSID, channel and security are all matched. With other devices, you may have to set a different channel and SSID, else your devices will get confused and may fail to connect.

Setup could not be simpler, using WPS. First, plug in the TL-WA850RE near your router and let it settle down. Press the button on the router. The power LED will generally flash to indicate connection mode. Now hold in the central button on the extender for about two seconds and release. After a while the LED patterns settle down and the RE LED is permanently lit. The LEDs on the right indicate the signal strength. Don't worry about the WiFi LED, which continues to flash.

Finally, move the extender to its final position and you are done. Ideally this should be between the router and where you want to work.

Edit: Sadly, this occasionally loses connection. The result is that if your client is connected to this, and it is not connected to the router, you find you have no internet connection. The only solution seems to be a restart. I had high hopes of this, and at first it tracked my router's WiFi admirably, but it isn't robust enough to be a long term solution, so I am downgrading it.

There is a web interface to tweak settings on the extender. I found this confusing and best left alone.

I don't think there is any problem in using several of these to extend coverage around the house and garden. My only criticism is that the LEDs are quite bright and can't be dimmed. (Sticky tape?) I had hidden it at the back of my wife's wardrobe but she immediately spotted it and said "What's that? Is it safe?" It runs very cool, so I guess it is safe!

5.0 out of 5 stars It just works as advertised!, 2 Sept. 2014
S. King (Ilminster) - See all my reviews
No idea how this works- but it just does!

I connected using method one- press the WPS button on the router, press the button on this device. In about 30 seconds there was a good link. I then unplugged, relocated the device to my office at the rear of the house with a very hit and miss wifi coverage. After about 30 seconds again, maximum wifi strength on my iDevices! When I went into the rear garden, again excellent coverage which is just what I wanted so as to be able to stream music to a wireless speaker on the patio.

The clever part is that I also removed my TP-Link powerline adaptor which has fed the broadband via the telephone wires for several years now- and very successfully- and connected the PC's Ethernet cable into this new device. A quick look at method two on the instruction sheet, logging into the management page via the web browser and adding a username and password and now I have working Ethernet via the PC AND fabulous wifi. I can now re-use the old powerline adaptor for another application!

Having tried before to use a range extender which proved impossible to connect due to the difficulty and it got subsequently returned to Amazon, this is a breath of fresh air. No messing with IP addresses needed- the device does all that. Just two buttons, a minutes wait and you are connected. It is not even necessary to change anything on your phone, iPad or whatever, the IP addresses are the same.

I highly recommend this item in conclusion. It is nicely packaged and the instructions are simple- oh and it just works. What more can you ask for?

4.0 out of 5 stars Easy set up and discreet looking extender, 13 May 2013
Purpleheart (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Pros

- Very easy set-up. The quick start guide gave the options of either wired or wireless set-up. I followed the instructions for wireless set-up by plugging in the unit and connecting my laptop to the new TP Link wireless network that appeared. I then entered tplinkextender.net into my browser and waited. It didn't connect initially, I unplugged the unit and tried again. This time, typing tplinkextender.net brought up the login window for the extender. I was then presented with the quick-setup, which I followed easily. I connected to my main wireless network by selecting it from the presented list and entering my wireless password.
-The extender plugs into a main socket and is discreet and tidy in its looks
-The unit has been operating without any issues for a number of weeks. It has allowed me to extend my wireless network throughout my home and I haven't noticed any particular drop in wireless speed when connected to the extender.

Cons

- Network name -by default, the unit takes the same network name as your existing wireless network. This is what I used initially, but I soon realised that you did not know whether you were connected to your main wireless network or the extender. So, I tried to re-enter the set-up screen to change the name of the wireless network, but once the unit had been configured I could not re-enter the set-up screen using the tplinkextender.net link. After various attempts, I ended up pressing the reset button on the back of the unit, which allowed me to re-run the set-up from the start. This worked and meant I could give the extended wireless network a different name so I would know when I was connected to it (I've since discovered that I needed to be connected to the extender to use the tplinkextender.net link, but because the unit had the same wireless network name as my main network I did not know whether I was connected to it or not).
- The extender has various indicator lights on the front for connection strength and status. These glow a really bright blue, which is very distracting in the dark. As I have the unit in my bedroom, I ended up putting black electrical tape over the lights so that I couldn't see them.