5.0 out of 5 stars TP LINK EXTENDER BRILLIANT !!!!!!!!!
First to get honesty out the way , although a very regular customer I bought mine from Argos , it was 1 dearer but I had a 10 voucher to use up and have just got a new tablet so wanted to see if I could extend my Wi-Fi now without waiting the few extra days for delivery.

Published 7 months ago by Big Andy

3.0 out of 5 stars So far so good! Edit: I spoke too soon!
For historical reasons, our telephone line enters upstairs at the rear of the house. This means that the WiFi signal is at best variable and at worst weak. Moving the router to a more central position improves this, using a long LAN cable (we are on BT infinity) but to get downstairs the signal still has to cross a wall and floor/ceiling.

This is where this...
Published 8 months ago by

5.0 out of 5 stars TP LINK EXTENDER BRILLIANT !!!!!!!!!, 3 Dec 2013
This review is from: TP-Link TL-WA850RE 300Mbps Universal Wall Plug Range Extender/ Wi-Fi Booster (WPS function, Easy Configuration) (Accessory)

Now I am usually one of those unlucky or jinxed so and so,s so especially around Christmas time no matter how "simple" or "plug and go" or "universal" or easy to set up and gadgets and gizmos are that I usually end up spending hours getting the damned things working , if I have resisted the temptation to simply bin it.

However with this Extender I as normal opted for the easy option first plugged it in pressed the wps button on the router , pressed the button on the extender and after about 90 seconds it was sorted.
The one thing I found perhaps its just me the process of the flashing lights and in particular what should and should not be flashing could be better explained as I at first thought I was having my usual gadget problems until it dawned on me that it was ok.

I must admit I did not waste ant time trying different spots for it , I already knew where my Wi-Fi was weakest , the kitchen , conservatory and living room , plugged it in the kitchen switched on tablet and BANG full strength Wi-Fi.

I am very very pleased both with the item and with myself for buying it.

I would not put anyone off buying one of these as its worked for me.

3.0 out of 5 stars So far so good! Edit: I spoke too soon!, 19 Nov 2013

This is where this device comes in handy. I found I could position the router on one side of the wall and this extender on the other side. That way, the extender receives a strong signal to forward downstairs. It works! The repeated signal is at least 8dB stronger than the original.

You may see Powerline WiFi extenders advertised too. These work well, but in a different way. With the TL-WA850RE, the repeat is on exactly the same frequency as the original and is indistinguishable from it as far as devices are concerned. The SSID, channel and security are all matched. With other devices, you may have to set a different channel and SSID, else your devices will get confused and may fail to connect.

Setup could not be simpler, using WPS. First, plug in the TL-WA850RE near your router and let it settle down. Press the button on the router. The power LED will generally flash to indicate connection mode. Now hold in the central button on the extender for about two seconds and release. After a while the LED patterns settle down and the RE LED is permanently lit. The LEDs on the right indicate the signal strength. Don't worry about the WiFi LED, which continues to flash.

Finally, move the extender to its final position and you are done. Ideally this should be between the router and where you want to work.

Edit: Sadly, this occasionally loses connection. The result is that if your client is connected to this, and it is not connected to the router, you find you have no internet connection. The only solution seems to be a restart. I had high hopes of this, and at first it tracked my router's WiFi admirably, but it isn't robust enough to be a long term solution, so I am downgrading it.

There is a web interface to tweak settings on the extender. I found this confusing and best left alone.

I don't think there is any problem in using several of these to extend coverage around the house and garden. My only criticism is that the LEDs are quite bright and can't be dimmed. (Sticky tape?) I had hidden it at the back of my wife's wardrobe but she immediately spotted it and said "What's that? Is it safe?" It runs very cool, so I guess it is safe!

5.0 out of 5 stars Straight forward WIFI booster, 2 May 2014
Installed 01.05.2014 took five minutes. Easy single button sync up (once I realised the correct button on my router was not the on/off one) Turned the floor below the main router from a wifi less zone to a good strong signal. Design wise it reminds me a little bit of our old baby monitor but works well and unlike the baby monitor it stays silent. I like it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant item!, 19 Jun 2014
This extender stands out in two ways.

1. Unlike most other range extenders of this type, it actually works and works extremely well!

2. The product packagng is the best I have ever seen and the ONLY packaging I have seen that is better than Apple both in quality and design.

A great item, thank you!

4.0 out of 5 stars Increased and extended out wi-fi network range across our house in a matter of 2-3 mins..., 29 Mar 2013
Chris Hall "DLS Reviews" (Cardiff, Wales) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Length:: 2:30 Mins

The 'TP-Link TL-WA850RE Wi-Fi Network Range Extender' is a standalone unit that you simply plug in to a standard three-pin wall plug within the wireless router's range and it extends the range outwards from the plugged-in unit (thereby doubling the range again). The diagram on the item's product listing under the 'Flexible Placement' title really does show you exactly what the product is designed to do. And to be frank, it does exactly that.

Having recently moved house, we found that we were barely able to connect to our wireless network in our new livingroom and diningroom areas if we had the router located in the downstairs study. In the livingroom area, our iPad only connected showing one bar, and similarly our laptop only had a 40% connection in the diningroom.

After setting up the TP-Link plug-in (which was an absolute doddle to do) locating it halfway between the study and the downstairs living areas, the iPad showed a full three bars (i.e maximum connection) in the livingroom (it previously only showed one bar) and the laptop had a 90-100% connection in the diningroom (it was previously around 40%).

Also, to say that the plug-in range extender was simple to setup is one heck of an understatement. It's quite literally a case of plugging it in next to your router, pressing the WPS button, and then the 'Network Finder Button', and then just leaving it to locate your network. Once it's done that you just need to unplug it, move it to where you want it to go, plug it in again, and hey presto!

Furthermore, if you're a bit fancy-pancy with your gadgets, you can also plug it in alongside your TV or games console and take advantage of all that comes from internet accessibility on those devices - all without having to be plugged in directly to a router or a computer.

It really is as simple as that! For us it's just a simple case of being able to get internet access across the length and breadth of our house. And within 2-3 minutes of setting it up, we had just that.

5.0 out of 5 stars Could not believe how easy and effective this was, 13 Aug 2013
I had reservations as to whether this would do what it said, so just bought one to begin with. (On this occasion it was for my son's house where there are two levels separated by reinforced concrete floors and thick concrete walls.) I tried one and found it easy to set up the link with the unit close to the router, then by moving it to other locations to see what the signal strength was (even a single bar on the blue indicator scale seems enough) it was possible to find an optimum position to extend the range. After that I went on to get a second one and spread the coverage further. We may go for a third one after experimenting with these two for a while. Plus, after upgrading my own router I will seriously consider trying one or more in my own house. (I need to find out what the range is like anyway with the new router.) It is essential the router has a "WPS" button on it for initial setup, in which case it's only necessary to press that followed by the one on the link and the rest is just automatic. The new area covered by the range extender seems to be lifted to full strength as though close to the router itself, so all devices like smartphones and tablets work fine and laptops don't need hard wired links by e.g. ethernet links over the power system. I had heard that these extenders can be "daisychained" and so relay from one to another, but some elementary tests I carried out seemed to indicate that each one needed to pick up the signal from the router itself so requires to be within range of that.

2.0 out of 5 stars Great at first, then kept cutting out, 28 Oct 2013
C. Marsh - See all my reviews
Well, my first review on Amazon. I didn't think it would be for a product I didn't like, but I guess we have a tendency to only speak up when we're unhappy.

I purchased this item in May 2013. I was after a range extender for the back half of the house, including the garden. As per usual with these things, I navigated through the Amazon website, looking for products with predominantly good reviews. My eyes caught this, and, after reading a number of the reviews, I placed my order. (I remember some of the reviews mentioning about it 'cutting out', or having to be reset, but I thought I'd take a chance - these negative reviews were mostly few and far between).

The delivery was as good as you'd expect from Amazon i.e. it arrived within a few days.

Unboxing the device was reminiscent of unboxing/unwrapping an Apple product - I was very impressed by this. I was convinced I had purchased something that was going to do a very good job.

Setting it up was quite easy - there were two options: one was simply pushing a button on the device after you pressed the 'refresh' button on your router, the other was connecting it to the network via an Ethernet cable and setting it up via an intranet (administration) page. Luckily I found the first option worked. I then simply unplugged the unit, went upstairs at the back of the house, plugged it in, and voila.

After about a month, I noticed that I was unable to connect to the network whilst in the garden. After much head scratching, I managed to reset the device and get the extender working again. Over the next few weeks, it kept cutting out. Again, I reset it. Again, it cut out. This continued for a couple of months.

The straw that broke the camel's back was coming back from holiday to a complaint from a fellow occupant, who said that the network only worked at the front of the house.

I decided to take the positive action of looking for an alternative, and I think I found it (touch wood!) - NetGear WN3000RP Universal Wi-Fi Range Extender. Extremely happy with that...at the moment.

So, happy with the delivery, the packaging, and setting it up for first use. Was NOT happy with having to constantly reset the device - it turned out to be completely unreliable.

Two stars.

3.0 out of 5 stars A slight improvement noticed in connection strength, 19 Jan 2013
Benjamin (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I thought this would be useful for when upstairs using the aging laptop I keep up there. It is at the diagonally opposite side of the house from where the wireless router is located downstairs and signal strength there is "low". While signal strength connection with the router from various laptops/notebooks downstairs is very good, upstairs it is not so good.

Setting up the TP-Link could/should have been easier, it would not set up automatically using the WPS button on my router (and it is a new router); tried several times even placing the TP-Link right next to the router but to no avail. So had to set it up manually via the Web-based Management Page. That was easy enough, (except at the last stage a little window pops up saying it will take at least two minutes to complete - what it doesn't say it don't click OK until it after the two minutes, other wise you'll find you have to start all over again!).

Once set up my aging laptop had no difficulty finding the TP-Link, but if the latter is too far away from the router I found it would not connect to the router (even though the TP-Link was nearer to the router than the where the laptop is used (and where the laptop previously connected wirelessly direct to the router, albeit with a very low signal). I had to move the TP-Link much nearer to the router in order to get a connection. The outcome as far as signal is concerned is that the strength has improved from "very low" to "low" or from one bar to two bars via the TP-Link; I would have hoped for something more than this.

I will give the present set up a go for a while, and then over the coming weeks I will try moving the TP-Link to different locations to see if there is any improvement - and will report back here it if there is.

Update: I have since moved both the wireless router and the TP-Link. The Tp-Link is in the hall outside the room where the router is, about 7m away, my laptop is in the room above the hall: signal strength is now "very good".

1.0 out of 5 stars Not impressed, 25 July 2013
brianb (London, UK) - See all my reviews
The signal from my wireless router is fairly weak on my roof terrace and I wanted to increase its range, so thought, based on the specs and reviews here, that this would be the perfect solution. I chose this over the Huawei as the reviews were better and it was faster too, if a little more expensive.

After finally getting it to work (the supplied instructions are VERY poor) I have noticed a lower signal on my terrace than before. The range extender is placed at the door to the terrace (and is physically visible from everywhere on it), but when out on the terrace the best signal I can get is only 1-2 bars on my tablet, or 2-3 bars on my laptop. The furthest I can go away from the range extender is about 20 feet, as any further will see me fall off the roof and hurtle downwards at rapid speed, but the signal falls off before this - it disappears around 14-15 feet away from the range extender - it's not being obstructed as I have clear line of sight of it, and moving it to different positions makes no difference.

Before using the range extender I was able to reliably get a signal of 3 bars (occasionally 4-5) on the tablet and a consistent 3 (occasionally 4-5) on the laptop on most parts of the terrace. Even at only 3-4 feet from the range extender though, the signal is only 2 bars on the tablet, which is what it was in the same position when using the signal from the wireless router without the range extender.

I've tried various settings and resets, but nothing seems to be making any difference. To confuse things even more, the control interface for the device says it's v1, but on the box it says it's v1.2! There isn't a firmware upgrade available for it as the website says they don't apply to v1 devices!

I'm disappointed and a little p*ssed off to be honest as I was expecting this to solve my weak(ish) signal problem, and after 48 hours TP-Link's tech support haven't replied to my support request, which isn't impressive.

The low rating is for a product which actually doesn't do what it's supposed to do (at least for me), comes with very poor instructions, has contradictory information in and on the packaging and has what appears to be poor/no support from the maker.

I could well have got a faulty unit, but the lack of support from TP-Link just isn't acceptable, so unfortunately it's back to Amazon for a refund.

Not impressed at all.

Update: 31st July at 22h30

I finally received a reply from TP-Link support, a full 6 days after submitting my support request. They sent an email to tell me there was a reply to my support ticket on their support website, so I logged in to read it, but couldn't. After logging-in and going to the page containing the reply, trying to open the reply threw me back to the login page, where I tried logging-in again only to be told that the login details which I had successfully used 30 seconds before, were wrong! I tried this a few times with the same result and eventually reset my password, which worked fine during the login process, but when I tried again to read the support ticket reply, the same thing happened again, i.e. I was sent back to the login screen and told that my login details were wrong. Clearing cache and cookies made no difference.

This is a joke, but it's academic now as I've sent the device back to Amazon and have already received my refund.

TP-Link really need to get their act together as they've just lost a customer. I'm sure they'll survive losing one, but it seems I'm not the only one with issues with their products...

5.0 out of 5 stars NASA Will use this device to put Wifi on the Moon, 19 Jun 2014
Well i bought this to help boost the signal of my WIFI so I had good coverage around the house, While every English mans house is a castle mine is not made of stone but typical red brick and RSJ's, this means that signal can sometimes be an issue but not as bad as a house made of stone.

I have other TP products (Power line Adaptors) and was impressed with them so I took a chance with the TP-Link Wifi Extender, it said that a minimum 3 bars was recommended to create a good connection with the router, well I am a bit of a gambler and like to push things to the edge. I had the adaptor so far from the wifi it only had 1 bar, plugged in my PC using an Ethernet cable into the device started downloading a patch, I assumed it was going to move at the speed comparable to that of plant growth or maybe that of slow moving water erosion,

Boom, to my surprise even at 1 bar it was smashing though MB's like they were KB's I didn’t even notice the difference when I moved it closer. The TP locks on to wifi signal like a Star Destroyer locks its tractor been on the Millennium Falcon, once its got it its got it.

Slight negative but not worth dropping the stars for is that if the power ever disconnects or the TP link is unplugged you have to reconnect, The beauty of the TP link extender is that it can use WPS connection, This is on BT and Virgin Routers and is simply a button you press on the router and then on the extender its self and they are then paired.

To summarise this product is likely to feature on future NASA missions to provide wifi from the earth to other planets.