5.0 out of 5 stars Olafur arnalds with a change
The new album by arnalds is as ever a stunning pice of work. Piano, violins and the works. This album has the adding of a vocal as well. The normal neo classical songs are as with all arnalds work beutifull and haunting. If your a fan of his early work these songs will not disappoint. There similar in nature to the old.
The new adding of a vocal at first was a little...
Published 12 months ago by A. Holyoake

3.0 out of 5 stars A departure from 'the norm', but dissapointing in my eyes
I am a long time fan of the music of Arnalds. He is a genre crossing artist whose work contains compositions of great beauty and interest.
This new album, for the first time in Arnald's work, contains vocals. For me, they do nothing to enhance the music he composes, indeed they serve to do the opposite. The vocals seem slightly monotonous and expressionless compared...
Published 16 months ago by Martin Butcher

5.0 out of 5 stars My favourite album in 2013 so far, 23 Mar 2013
untitled no. 4 (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: For Now I am Winter (Audio CD)
I was actually reading the reviews to John Grant's Pale Green Ghosts (which I found very disappointing) and one of the negative reviews had a comment which asked "why don't you review albums you like?" so I decided to do just that, and here I am.

So, the new Olafur Arnalds is somewhat of a departure from previous albums. This album features a full scale orchestra and some songs feature vocals from Arnor Dan.

Personally, I love both changes. The orchestration is beautiful and lush, and adds a sense of urgency in some of the songs (Sudden Throw, Old Skin) that would not be achievable with a few strings.

As for Arnor Dan, I am a fan of his day job as a singer for Agent Fresco. His voice, which can soar to screams with Agent Fresco, is very delicate and fragile here, and adds another layer to the beauty that is For Now I Am Winter.

I guess some old fans will be disappointed that this album hasn't got the same sort of intimacy with the listener as previous albums, but in my opinion it is still there, just maybe in other forms (Arnor Dan's vocals, for instance).

This is, so far, the my favourite album for 2013 and will likely remain so for a while. Sigur Ros's new album in June might be a contender, but until then I will enjoy the beauty that is For Now I Winter.

2.0 out of 5 stars pop album from Olafur, 28 Dec 2013
This review is from: For Now I am Winter (Audio CD)
Not one of his worst album, but I like much his piano, minimal older albums. In this album ew have 12 songs, then we can find few very nice songs. I don't like a voice in his music (sounds like Morten from A-Ha), but after a few listening it getting better. This is the to much popy work, with elements of cross over and (sometimes) dance music, what I realy dont expect from him.And finaly, what is the concept of this album? 3 songs in a several variations.

5.0 out of 5 stars Winter has never been less gloomy, 5 Jun 2013
This review is from: For Now I am Winter (Audio CD)
An intelligent and evocative piece;it will make winter time your favourite season. But listen any time of the year...and enjoy.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great album., 19 Mar 2013
This review is from: For Now I am Winter (Audio CD)
I am a long fan of Olafur Arnalds. On this album he chosed to have a different style, or genre let's say. I heard and read bad reviews but in my honest opinion it's still Olafur and it's beautiful music. This album is more like an ambient approach but it does not mean that it's bad. It's not just a piano album instead. This album has vocals and they are good to (I think Arnor Dan is also a talented musician/vocal). Overall it's beautiful album.

For Now I am Winter
For Now I am Winter by Olafur Arnalds (Audio CD - 2013)