4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent for home lab
Rather than the other review, which sounds like it was written by someone with zero knowledge of server systems, I thought I would give it a go.

I bought the microserver to run VMware ESXi 5.1, running a lab, and a file server / few domain controllers for my home network.

Published 12 months ago by Gaz E

2.0 out of 5 stars HP wouldn't honor cash-back offer. Be careful who you buy from if you're hoping for cash-back.
The server itself is rather primitive, but does what's expected. VGA only video output is the biggest limitation, plus no sound and you'll need to upgrade the hard-drive. I'm not sure why they even bother including a 250Gb hard-drive on a server. No optical drive either, and as the connections are SATA only I had to buy a new one (couldn't recycle an old IDE drive)...
Published 12 months ago by Mr. R. W. Clements

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent for home lab, 1 Aug 2013
Gaz E (Cardiff, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: HP 704941-421 ProLiant Micro Server (AMD Turion II Neo N54L 2.2GHz, 2GB RAM, 250GB HDD, 2 Core, 7th Generation) (Accessory)

the microserver is cheap, well made, and performs better than I was expecting, especially as it has an underpowered AMD processor.

The 250GB drive supplied was put on ebay, and sold, and I replaced it with 2 x 1TB WD Black drives, which performed fine.
I have since purchased an adaptec raid card from ebay, and these drives are in a Mirror / Raid 1 configuration.

I have installed 2 x 8GB Crucial memory, and also an Intel Server NIC

All in all, I have a server that's on 24/7, uses less than 50w of power, and easily runs 10 VMs at once without issue.

As for the comments from the other reviewer, why in gods name would you need audio and any other graphics capabilities, this is a small business / home server, not a workstation.

Anyway, that's my two pence worth.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Server, 16 Dec 2013
I purchased this server to run VMware

I purchased 16GIG RAM and a 3TB Hard drive and installed without any issue.

I installed VMware esxi without any problems. I then installed MS Server 2012ENT; MS 2008 Server ENT and Linux Server 64. I am totally surprised at how quickly it boots up 2012.

For the price this is a great little kit

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent piece of kit, 28 Jan 2014
G. Jordan (UK) - See all my reviews
This is by far and away been the best IT related purchase I've bought in along time.

As a nippy piece of cheap storage equipment it excels in every category.

I'm running Synology DSM 4.3 on this, it runs from a USB drive (there's one inside so tucked out of the way). That's given me use of all four HD's for storage, I'm running 2x 4TB WD red + 2 x 3TB WD red.

I've also bought me a ICYDock bay changing the 5.25" into 6x 2.5" bays. It's not in use just yet, tested it though and it works fine. In essence, without using the USB drives this little box is capable of having 28TB of storage.

Quiet, low power, capable and upgradeable. No complaints at all.

5.0 out of 5 stars A lovely bit of kit..., 3 Mar 2014
badger (oxford, uk) - See all my reviews
I've got two of these beauties running ESXi 5.5 using my NAS as iSCSI storage and it works brilliantly for a home lab (I'm a VMware engineer and need something to test on without the expense of buying enterprise servers/storage) but you will need to upgrade a couple of components first:

RAM - though it says that the Microserver only supports a maximum of 8GB you can in fact install 16GB RAM (2 x 8GB modules) after applying the latest firmware updates.

Network card - I have installed a dual port PCIe NIC to separate the host management and VM network traffic, using just the one NIC can lead to network problems.

I've not bothered about a DVD drive because I install everything from ISO images and have also removed the hard drive and install ESXi onto a USB key which means less moving parts for quieter operation, this is great because if I need to go back to an old version of ESX/ESXi I just chuck one of my other preinstalled keys in and boot up on the version I need.

The unit itself is a great, compact little thing which, considering the cost, is surprisingly quiet and feels very solid. It can be a bit tight sliding the system board in and out when upgrading components but is very robust so don't be afraid if you have to take the server apart for any reason.

Can't recommend these servers highly enough so keep an eye out for cash back deals which do come along quite often but sell out almost immediately.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great value!, 8 April 2014
I bought this to act as a media server, to replace a NAS drive that had been causing me great problems. I put Windows 8 Professional on it, as I wanted to be able to remote-desktop into it [it's hidden away, with no screen, keyboard or mouse].

It has more than fulfilled my expectations. Its low power-drain means low running costs, which is important for a device that is left on 24/7.

One word of warning: It needs a BIOS update in order to be able to upgrade to Windows 8.1. You can't get the BIOS upgrade unless you register it with HP - and to do that you need to realise that it was supplied from Spain.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent piece of kit, 24 Feb 2014
Really fantastic piece of kit. Arrives well packaged, well documented. it's easy to work with, comes with the hp torx kit for the screws. I've opted for the rebate so this will have cost 55 rather than the 155 so is a great deal. I'm using it as a home nas running ubuntu (my preference) and it's flawless. The unit sits in a cupboard, is quiet and low power. Doesn't have a lot of CPU but then again doesn't need it. It's larger than it looks in the pictures and is about 1.5ft high and I've got to say, incredibly well built. It disassembles easily if you want to upgrade the memory (I haven't) and has slots for an add in card should you need it. Has an abundant amount of USB ports for anything you want to connect. I'm incredibly impressed, it's replaced my D-Link DNS32 with ease and that unit has gone in the spare-parts-cupboard. If you're considering one of these then stop considering, check if you can get the rebate and simply get one. You won't be disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars budget KVM and ZFS virtualisation foundation, 18 July 2014
I needed a low budget lab server with a resilient file system for easy snapshot management of virtual machines. As ZFS has snapshot support in the file system itself as well as many other integrity features, it was a requirement too. It was also preferable that the server had some virtualisation support in its hardware. From these constraints the choice of host OS fell on Proxmox (a distribution based on Debian Linux). It supports ZFS, KVM and has a nice web based virtualisation management framework. As this was for a lab environment the emphasis was on other things than performance. The N54L Microserver seemed suitable for this purpose and there's virtualisation support in its CPU.

In practice I use the supplied 250 GB HDD for hosting the OS and have added two 3 TB WD Red drives set in mirror configuration as well as 16 GB of Kingston KVR1333D3E9SK2 ECC RAM. The N54L Microserver works quite well in a low load setting and I'm quite happy with it.

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent server value for money, 7 July 2014
bought this to play around with ESXI server works well upgrade the RAM to 16GB which works no issues. excellent server value for money .. does suck-up dust very quick when on the floor .. but that's probably my cleaning skills and not the fault of the server ;-)

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic system with a memory upgrade runs sbs 2011 standard ..., 4 July 2014
Fantastic system with a memory upgrade runs sbs 2011 standard with all my users, email services, windows update services etc running perfectly

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent lab server, 29 May 2014
L Hutchings - See all my reviews
Brilliant size, really good build quality. As it is so small can be a little fiddly to remove motherboard so you can change memory but as you only need to do this the once it's not a big issue. Seems a shame the onboard SATA port does not support AHCI with the standard HP bios, it has the capability with a hacked bios so don't really understand why they just didn't include it.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›