5.0 out of 5 stars Not the best storyline but still holds the readers attention
Published on 12 Jan. 2012 by Amazon Customer

1.0 out of 5 stars The absolute tragedy of the ending was depressing.
Published on 18 Jun. 1999

5.0 out of 5 stars Not the best storyline but still holds the readers attention, 12 Jan. 2012
From start to finish I didn't think the storyline was realistic at all. The real interest is, as it always has been, in the relationships between the main characters, especially Kate, Jack and Mutt. When did Jack make the transition from being an investigator to an Alaska hunting guide, or George for that matter too. I bought into the plot because I so like the underlying direction of the series of books. Once assembled in the bush the actions of them all seem quite suspect. Could Grumpy George conquer the sexy SENTA in the space of a short treck through the woods. would the hunter guides allow their charges to have such risky positions when about to shoot their hunt. It all seems a bit too loose to be true.
Once the killing starts wouldn't Jack as the most experienced detective around take charge of matters rather than Grumpy George.But not to be. From that moment on I began to worry for Jack. Once he started to declare his love for Kate my worries increased.Once Kate agreed to his intended proposals I went into panic mode. As their future looked assured my thoughts turned to other endings, and so did the author!
Having completed the book I am happy to rate it quite highly. The pace of events certainly holds one's attention and emotions are pushed to the limits too. Make sure you have tissues ready for the finish, you will need them.The technical qualities of the storyline might be weak but the emotional rollercoaster of the story is not to be missed

1.0 out of 5 stars The absolute tragedy of the ending was depressing., 18 Jun. 1999
By A Customer
As usual, a great story, excellent writing and very real characters. I've grown fond of the regular characters, especially Kate and Jack, and the absolute tragedy of the ending was so depressing that the book is going directly to my used-book dealer. I urge people to read the last chapter before buying it, especially in hard cover. We're left without a spark of hope for the future, and the writing is good enough that Kate's grief is our own.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good book but, hard tense and shocking to kate fans., 3 Sept. 1999
By A Customer
I love kate and mutt books. This book is good but missed the friends and family I have come to expect and care about. I am in denial about the hard ending and can only look forward to book 10 to unfold the new direction Kate will take.The exerpt, found on dana's website is reassuring, and tantalizing. I wait on tenterhooks.

4.0 out of 5 stars This is fiction! And d*** good fiction!, 31 July 1999
By A Customer
Gee Whiz,Man!! This is a fiction mystery! I for one loved the book. I think Dana Stabenow is an excellent writer of fiction. I enjoyed imensly all the Kate Shugak series and can't wait for the next one! Oh,and by the way people,fiction is make be lieve!!

1.0 out of 5 stars don't read this if you don't want to spoil the end...., 7 Jun. 1999
By A Customer
I've read every one of the Kate Shugak mysteries and have greatly enjoyed the series including the developing relationship with Kate and Jack. The ending was completely uncalled for and it would take a lot for me to read another of her books. And yes, I realize that it's only a book, but I'd rather enjoy my little break from reality....

1.0 out of 5 stars This book is filled with ugly stereotypes of Germans, 4 July 1999
By A Customer
Let me make clear that I have no German ancestors in my backgroud that I am aware of. Imagine, if you will, a German novelist writing a novel about a bunch of nature loving Germans coming to Alaska to fish. What they find, in addition to the lovely country, is a bunch of drunk, superstitious Indians (Native Americans in current terminology) running around fornicating outdoors(which Kate and her lover, in fact, do in this novel). Can you imagine the outrage!!!Turn that around, and this is Stabenow's novel. A bunch of Teutonic, blue eyed, arrogant Germans with no understanding of the land, talking only about the amount their guns cost, with no regard for the environment and ignoring the rules of the engagement. Amazingly, none of them are named Hans or Fritz! Stabenow seems to have gotten her understanding of them from WWII movies and reruns of Hogans Heroes. How can anyone,reading this book in today's politically correct environment, not notice that this is the point of this book. In any other setting, it would be unpublishable. The fact that the targets are white, European males (with one notable exception)makes the whole thing OK, especially because the heroine is a Native American. Most of the book made me cringe, with this in the back my of mind. Stabenow's understanding of the business world is a joke, as though she picked it up from Dallas reruns. I liked the part where she and Jack are rummaging through the visitors luggage and she asks Jack (who has spent his whole life in the Alaska wilderness) whether he knows anything about German inheritance laws. At another point, Kate proves "too quick for a bear" if you can imagine that. Ms Stabenow should stick to nature writing about fish and wildlife. When she leaves that area her shallowness becomes obvious. I understand very well that the business world is a convenient target when compared to peoples who love the environment--like Kate--but this book is heavy handed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Much darker, but warmer Shugak tale, 6 Mar. 1999
By A Customer
Hubris. The ancient gods and goddesses dislike any mortal who considers themselves to be above the rest of humanity. Alaskan frontierwoman Kate Shugak loves the life she has made for herself. The self sufficient woman assists her friend George Perry as a tourist guide for visitors who enjoy hunting.
Her current clients are the top executives of Deutches Radio Gessellschaft, the only existing company that gives Microsoft a run for its money. Like Bill Gates' company, DRG is under Federal scrutiny. However, the FBI, CIA, and the SEC are investigating the firm. The CEO Dieter insists they make the expedition even though his party has no interest in hunting or the wilderness. Kate soon finds her lover and herself embroiled in a deadly web of conspiracy.
The latest Kate Shugak mystery, HUNTER'S MOON, is a much darker tale than most of the previous novels in this fine series. By moving her two lead protagonists forward on their personal front, Dana Stabenow has countered the darkness of the exciting story line. This, in turn, makes the novel one of the best entries in the collection as life-threatening danger intercedes with the courageous duo obtaining understanding in their relationship. Ms. Stabenow continues to produce an interesting read.

Harriet Klausner

5.0 out of 5 stars Pivotal to the Series..., 4 Dec. 2011
Amazon Verified Purchase(What's this?)
This review is from: Hunter's Moon (Kate Shugak #9) (Kindle Edition)

If you have been reading this series from the start, you must have some idea that this book is a pivotal book in this series. As the synopsis says, Kate and Jack and others are on a guiding expedition for German business Executives. Soon the expedition turns into something it was never meant to be. Kate and Jack will soon be finding themselves becoming the hunted and not the hunters.

This was the most emotionally charged books of Ms Stabenow's that I have ever read. When I first read it in hardcover, I refused to go on with the series after what happened in this book. Luckily I restarted the series with my Kindle and slowly but surely have been working my way to this book by reading in both directions. It has since become my favorite of all the books. It is packed with action, suspense, mystery, adventure, joy and sorrow. It will bring you a new meaning to the word grief.

It is also the book that will be introducing or rather re-introducing someone we know and perhaps lust over, in a completely new roll. The next books will be all the more intense because of what Dana allows to happen in "Hunter's Moon".

I hope you loved this book as much as I did, even if it did take me two reads to really appreciate it! ENJOY!

3.0 out of 5 stars I expect more from Stabenow, 13 July 1999
By A Customer
This author has all the talent one woman could wish for and with the character development and burgeoning humor of "Breakup," I knew "Hunter's Moon" would be a delight. Wrong. Stabenow has chosen the "dark" road. I find Kate Shugak sufficiently complex without adding the demise of one of my (and her) favorite characters to her angst. As the owner of all of Stabenow's books, I did add this to my stash but now regret it. Of course, I had to read it but perhaps would have gone to the library for this one. Her previous work has left me feeling "woman" can conquer all as Kate has tussled with bears, men, drunk men, drunk women, men shooting large guns, women shooting large guns and falling jet engines. This book just left me feeling sad.

3.0 out of 5 stars I'm not sure I liked it...., 20 May 1999
By A Customer
I'm having a hard time with this one. After reading almost all the other Kate Shugak novels and enjoying this "Renaissance Woman", this one seemed pointless. A first-time reader would have a hard time figuring out what's going on, as there is no character development, and too many assumptions that her previous novels had been read. Kate's character has been complicated, trying to resolve her Native American heritage,her huge Native family, and "Bush" lifestyle with modern life that others take for granted. There was none of that is this book. Beautiful descriptions of Alaskan wilderness notwithstanding, I was left with a disquiet of pointless killing, and an ending that didn't satisfy.