Format: PaperbackVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Although I've been programming for years, I've always been more into the backend/data/business side. I've actively avoided HTML and CSS (as everywhere I have worked has dedicated people who know what they're doing) until now.

In the past, all the IT books I seen to have come across are very very dry, like being in a 3 hour database lecture at University and your eyes start to feel heavy. I never understood that kind of book as with the size and scope of the internet you can find out almost anything, making books almost obsolete. This book is part of the "treehouse" series. It is well presented, not to big and is very easy to read. The examples seem relevant, not to simple and getting more complex. Great.

I would say you do need a bit of background knowledge as the book starts to mention things without explaining what they are (e.g. javascript, but this is covered later in the book) but there's plenty of "dummy" kind of books out there, and you can't mention everything. This is just right!

Many so called web-designers I have worked with in the past don't give a hoot about accessibility, which is basically illegal and wrong. There is a chapter on accessibility which is great (there are other whole books on the subject).

In conclusion its a good concise introduction into HTML5. Recommended.

A great companion for those starting out in a "user interface" career/hobby is the legendary Don't Make Me Think!: A Common Sense Approach to Web Usability
on 20 March 2014
The concepts are clearly explained and you're guided through the tutorials while completing a website for a fictional restaurant. I highly recommend this book to anyone who wants to get grips with the basics of HTML from scratch or for the more-experienced who want want to dive into the new features of HTML5.
Format: PaperbackVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This book covers all of the basics of HTML taking you from first steps to more advanced content including forms, video and scripting.

I am an experienced user of HTML but I want to use HTML5 to build more dynamic content for teaching and data handling. This book starts at the basics of a page and covers all of the HTML mark-up. Code that is new to HTML is specifically highlighted with a 5 logo to show the new features. While there are some new features at the basic level, the most important new features are in dynamic content. This means that video can be embedded without using players and there is no need to have as many plugins. Another key feature is the added interactivity of forms.

I was also interested in Canvas and how I can use this for animations and the chapter on Canvas is only a brief introduction but that is because this is a foundation level book and you will need to go elsewhere to find more in depth coverage. Forms are nicely covered and also the first steps in using Javascript, but if you are a more advanced user who just want to see the HTML5 changes this is not the right book for you.

My one concern is how packed the book is. The text is very dense and this can make it more intimidating for readers who might struggle to work through all of the content.
VINE VOICEon 18 March 2013
Format: PaperbackVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Covering the basics of HTML5 (as well as dabbling in some minor CSS), this book is a good example of how educational coding books should be. It's divided into a logical chapter structure and the progression is easy to follow with the end result being a complete website that you will have created yourself. And you will have covered a good range of what the new HTML5 is capable of.

The book also has a helpful 'Where to go from here' chapter at the end which lists URLs of some good industry websites as well as showcase galleries to keep you going and keep you inspired.

The book is for anyone who wishes to learn HTML5 (5 being the new standard) and I'd recommend it for someone wishing to learn markup who hasn't touched it before (or dabbled only lightly). If you're familiar with HTML4 but not 5, it's probably not for you. You'd be better off googling the new features as you already have your head around HTML.

One minor grumble. A few of the pages were poorly printed making the text harder to read. And some images were too. It looks as though the page had moved while being printed, causing a double layer of print (maybe it's 3D!).
on 1 March 2013
Format: PaperbackVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This is a really excellent book. I've used HTML on occasion over the years but I found this one of the best introductions I have read generally for HTML with the added bonus of covering the new features of HTML5.
It has a quite fast pace and packs a lot of information into each chapter, I liked this aspect of the book, you get to the point quickly and feel like you're making real progress. There is a website which includes the code from the book as well as supporting video information.

In addition to covering a lot of HTML the book also includes a little CSS, data-handling, and scripting as well as hints on structuring your website.

The book is sprinkled with icons which, I think indicate HTML5 features, or information, or video support but it would have been nice to include a key, really the only - very minor - negative of the book.

Excellent.
VINE VOICEon 29 March 2013
Format: PaperbackVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Due to Browser compartibility issues, I still code in XHTML 1.0 so this is the first time I considered HTML 5. This book introduces HTML 5 very well in a step by step manner.

It covers the HTML 5 elements in bullet form, while still being detailed so it is easy to read. It explains HTML 5 through examples, stating browser support for each new HTML element. HTML 5's video capability is one of it's top selling feature and this book deals with it nicely. I also loved the part dealing with web forms, it's really easy to follow. The canvass is well tackled as well, and JavaScript coverage is great, since HTML 5 and JavaScrip are two of a kind.

Printed text does not look good on a few pages, thus readability suffers just a little bit, that may be down to my copy, other than that, this is a great read for HTML 5 Beginners and even beyond.
VINE VOICEon 14 May 2013
Format: PaperbackVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This book covers HTML 5 and related technologies and does so with a thoroughness I have not seen before. The fact that offline storage is covered is for me one of the key areas where it truly excels. The examples are simple to follow and the clear concise text is really helpful.
VINE VOICEon 20 March 2013
Format: PaperbackVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Surprisingly for a book aimed at beginners, this new html training guide contains chapters on Javascript, canvas, and client-side storage, with almost no information on css. This works pretty well and keep it all focused on the code. The html reference at the back is useful and well written, and the stuff and audio and video embedding very good indeed.

Even as a pro web designer I learned a few things about the correct usage of the newer html5 tags and attributes. The lesson-based structure keeps it all readable, though I wonder how many readers actually work through the examples. My only criticism is the 'Joe's Pizza' example is a bit uninspiring.

Like most other's in its class, it's printed in that colourful shiny paper specially reserved for web design books.
VINE VOICEon 13 April 2013
Format: PaperbackVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I teach web design and I've been aware for a while that I need to introduce my students to HTML5. This is the textbook I'm going to use. If you are a complete beginner, you might be better off with something like Build Your Own Website the Right Way Using HTML and CSS 3rd Edition which will hold your hand a little more. While HTML5 Foundations goes deeper, I think for the beginner it might be less accessible. If you've already got experience with HTML there is just about the right amount of revision here. While the conciseness of the text, for example when introducing the id and class attributes, is to be admired I think if I were a beginner I'd be lost.

As the name of this book suggests it covers HTML, but it also uses CSS, which for the beginner might mean you feel as if you are missing part of the puzzle. You can download the example files and take a look, but they are complex and tricky to work out unless you've studied CSS. The book does suggest where you can learn more about CSS: HTML & CSS: Design and Build Web Sites by Jon Duckett or CSS3 Foundations (Treehouse Book Series) by Ian Lunn.

The scope of this book is broad. In part one it introduces HTML5 and teaches you how to structure a page, creating page templates and the pages themselves. Part two is called Dealing with Data and includes working with forms, enhancing those forms with HTML5, validation, using microdata and ensuring Accessibility. In part three, called Enhancing Web Pages with HTML5 and Javascript, you will learn how to to add video and audio and everything you need to know about storing data. Finally, things get advanced for part four, which covers geolocation and using Canvas to create online ads. There are two appendices with additional HTML markup for text and a HTML elements index.

The book ends with a list of books, websites and blogs to investigate when you've exhausted the possibilities on offer here. Due to the comprehensive, detailed, yet engaging style I can't see myself needing any additional resources for a long time, but it is good to where they are there for when I get to that stage.
on 16 January 2014
Great book, I keep this to hand to look up certain information and it is very useful for that purpose. Often I find the information in this book more suitable than blog posts etc. i find on the same topics. The last book I read on HTML was on version 3.2, that was also published by Wiley and had a similar tone - less technical manual and more conversational, which is certainly appreciated when reading larger sections.

If you are looking to learn HTML as a beginner then I'd certainly recommend using the Amazon look inside feature to get a feel for this book and aid in your purchasing decision.