‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful !!, 29 Dec 2012
This review is from: Music for the End of the World (Kindle Edition)
This is a wonderful book that touched my soul.
A MUST read book !!
Looking forward to more from Michael Linford.

5.0 out of 5 stars A beautiful book, 7 Jan 2013
This review is from: Music for the End of the World (Kindle Edition)
This book touches the heart of all emotions whatever your age, combined with music beautifully. End of world brilliant twist

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing novel, 28 Dec 2012
Music for the end of the world is a beautifully written book that follows poignant years in the main character-Will's life. The book's characters draw you in as there story-unfold. It is emotional and heartbreaking novel that leaves you in a reflective mood. The music element to the novel adds to the emotion and for me created a soundtrack that fits the mood of the novel perfectly. Be prepared as tissues will be required.

5.0 out of 5 stars SUCCESSFUL FIRST NOVEL, 27 Dec 2012
First novels are always risky business - for reader, writer and publisher - so it's good to report that "Music for the End of the World" is a success.
Congratulations to Michael Linford for writing the painful story of a young man's love for a mysterious sprite of a girl, a tale we've heard many times before, of course, but which still manages to bewitch and enchant us here because its characters are so real.
Told in the first person by Will, a solitary young man who is "passionate" about music, it charts the three principal awakenings of his contemporary manhood: landing a job in a trendy London record shop, going to his first summer music festival, and falling in love with Sara.
The hook that draws the reader into the tale is the clever use of popular music with a different song for each milestone in hero Will's life that come together ultimately in a playlist of twenty songs.
Will is haunted throughout the book by the New Age version of the Mayan prophecy that the world would end on 21 December 2012 and he's determined to see it out on a bench on Parliament Hill overlooking London, whilst listening on his iPod to those twenty songs: everything from Phil Collins and Queen to The Pixies and The Editors via Nerina Pallot and Rufus Wainwright.
And Michael Linford invites us, his readers, to compile our own end-of-world playlist and go online with them to his website and share them with other readers and musicians. A pretty conceit, as they used to say.
It all ends badly, of course. We knew it would. And here I take issue with the author: I'm unhappy with his last four pages and wish he could have found a more upbeat resolution without compromising his integrity.
But apart from that caveat, warmly recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars awesome, 6 May 2014
This review is from: Music for the End of the World (Kindle Edition)
What a story. Makes you cry & smile, relatable character every emotion he goes through you feel too. Opened my eyes & ears.

5.0 out of 5 stars Music for the End of the World, 31 Dec 2012
A brilliant emotional and breathtaking debut novel which is impossible to put down once picked up. Music for the End of the World is like nothing you have ever read before. Full of twists and turns, happiness to depression, thrills to dead ends. Shedding a tear or two is almost guaranteed.

5.0 out of 5 stars An incredible book!, 27 Dec 2012
Alaska Cole (Isle of Wight, UK) - See all my reviews
This book is a MUST read; beautifully written, this book has a heart and soul. Never have I cried and laughed so much whilst reading a book, it is a truly griping and inspiration book that is sure to become a classic! I can't wait for the author's next release!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing!!, 16 Dec 2012
I love this book. As soon as I got it, I had to start reading it. It is a beautiful yet tear-jerking book. I am so glad I had the pleasure of reading it. It drew me in right away and I couldn't put it down. I finished reading it the day I got it!
Michael writes beautifully and I hope to read more from him in the future, I really hope that this book makes many others feel the way I feel about it.
Although you will need some tissues when you are reading it, but that's not a bad thing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Music for The End of the World: A Novel to Tug at Your Heartstrings, 23 Jun 2014
I have just finished reading the debut novel by author Michael Linford, and I just had to write a quick review and say how good it was! Before reading I was not prepared for such an emotional roller coaster. The book is basically about the life of music-lover Will, before the end of the world, and his highs and lows throughout. Already there are a lot of reviews going into more detail re: the plot, so I will shy away from this and ask you to read the other reviews if you require any further 'plot based' information. As a fellow music lover, who has also worked in a record/CDs shop (and now in the film industry), I found it easy to relate to the idea of a soundtrack spanning his life and the concept of a list of 20 songs that he chose to listen to as the apocalypse closes in. Do not be fooled by the first two chapters, this is by no means a slushy romance novel, but is something that is very dark indeed. I highly recommend it to both females and males, both sexes will have characters and situations that they can relate to both in their childhood and adult life. Once you pic up this book you will not be able to put it down; it will make you smile at the fun times and cry at the sad. It is a very good read indeed! I highly recommend it to anyone!

4.0 out of 5 stars If, like me, you love music and a good cry, then this is the book for you!!, 26 Feb 2014
This review is from: Music for the End of the World (Kindle Edition)
This book, while you are reading it, seems a bit bleak, but at its core, is a beautiful love story intertwined with an amazing soundtrack, if you care to listen, I am a bit strange, in that I love a bit of art, be it music, movies, books, etc, that make me bawl my eyes out unabashedly, and this book did that for me. It is a great story based around, you guessed it, the end of the world and a brilliant concept....what 20 songs would you choose to listen to if you knew the world was ending, given all your experiences? took me ages to come up with my list, and it changes daily, but one of my all time fave songs and one that didn't make my list initially but does after reading this book, because it conveys the feeling I had while reading it is Red Rain, by Peter Gabriel. A great little self published novel that I am happier in myself for reading and that brought to the surface feelings about my relationship with my dad which made me smile even though i cried my ass off!!! lol love it!!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›