4.0 out of 5 stars The leftovers collection

3.0 out of 5 stars It's Just A Collection Of Extras
Published on 2 Jan. 2013 by MV

4.0 out of 5 stars The leftovers collection, 18 Jan. 2013
Mr. R. W. Graham (Lincoln, U.K.) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Doctor Who: The Legacy Collection (Shada/More Than 30 Years In The TARDIS) [DVD] (DVD)
Now that the Doctor Who dvds are nearly all out, this is a collection of bits and pieces that couldn't have been put on any other dvd release. Shada is the legendary unfinished Douglas Adams story that would have been broadcast in early 1980 if not for a strike. As some other reviews have said this boxset is really just a boxset of extras but there is still a lot to enjoy. Shada is barking mad and a lot of fun, seeing The Doctor and Romana and K9 in Cambridge visiting a mad old Cambridge proffessor who also happens to be a retired Time Lord who has misplaced a book that has the secrets of lost Time Lord prison Shada that an evil alien is after. Tom Baker provides linking material describing unfilmed scenes well and from the look of it Shada could have been a classic Tom Baker story if finished and broadcast as planned and there is also an animated finished version starring Paul Mcgann's 8th Doctor avaliable as well though you can only watch on PC format the animation is poor but story good fun and McGann proves as he has for Big Finish audios that he would have made a great Doctor if given a chance. More Than 30 Years In The Tardis is the 30th anniversary documentary very enjoyable with contributions from various past Doctors and companions. Definately a boxset for the die hard fans and completists only but very enjoyable if you decide to take a chance on it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Exciting, 15 Oct. 2013
E. Higgs "browngoose" (england) - See all my reviews
This is a great value box set with two versions of Shada and a classic documentary. Its a great shame shada was never competed as it could easily have been one of the best Tom baker stories. What I didn't realize was that the animated version cannot be played through the DVD player, only a computer.

3.0 out of 5 stars It's Just A Collection Of Extras, 2 Jan. 2013
Really nothing to get excited about here. This is definitely one for the die-hard collectors... People like me! I don't want to put people off buying this but, then I don't particularly have many positive things to say about it either. Those of you who are old enough to have watched and possibly collected the old Doctor Who VHS range and watched the sporadic 1990s celebrations and screenings on the BBC will know more or less what this product is. For the younger Doctor Who enthusiasts and the people who didn't get to buy these oddities the first time around, let me fill you in. 'Shada' is an incomplete Tom Baker story. Only location footage and a small amount of studio footage was shot for the story before production was cancelled due to a BBC strike. The story was never finished and left in the archives until the early 1990s when it was released on VHS with Tom Baker linking the significant gaps between scenes with on-screen narration. I never felt satisfied with this presentation. You do get an idea of what's supposed to be happening during the story but, there is very little to keep you engaged. After one viewing, it becomes something tedious and a bit of a disappointment. However, it does have historical interest in that you actually get to see a Doctor Who story that was never broadcast. Despite being revisited by the BBC last decade and remade as an audio adventure with a new cast and accompanying minimal animation for viewing and listening on the BBC web site only (which I believe is included here in DVD ROM format) the story is still - if not more confusing than ever.

'More Than 30 Years In The Tardis' is the 30th Anniversary BBC Celebration Documentary, broadcast on the BBC in 1993 but with additional material not included in the original broadcast which had the title '30 Years In The Tardis', hence the addition of 'More Than' to the title. Have you ever seen any of the special features on a classic Doctor Who DVD, particularly the more meaty and lengthy documentaries about the show? Yes? Well this documentary is a lot like those. No? Well basically it's a Doctor Who 'Memories of Greatest Moments with Recollections of "How It Was Made"' featuring lots of classic clips inter-cut with an enormous amount of 'Talking Heads', People who acted in the series, relatives of people who acted in the series, production crew and celebrity fans of the show (who were never in it)giving us plenty of memories of watching the show and how they felt about it at the time. That's all really. I think the documentary was only really produced to promote the fact that the BBC Videos were available to buy. It was basically a nostalgic look back at a TV programme that started production 30 years earlier, finished production in 1989 - leaving our screens without a bang, not even a whimper, just fading away and with every year, leaving fans becoming increasingly concerned that it was something that was never coming back to our TV screens. From recollection, I don't think anyone who has ever bought a classic Doctor Who DVD in the past 13 years will learn anything or much they didn't already know - or haven't heard several times already. 2013 marks the 50th anniversary of Doctor Who, starting the year off with an out-dated 20 year-old documentary seems a bit odd. I really enjoyed this documentary for a few years, but that was 20 years ago. I have never seen any point in watching it over the past 10 years or more since the introduction of special feature documentaries on DVDs that deconstruct and analyze every aspect of the show right down the the very thought patterns in the heads and the glue in the hands of the people making and producing the show.

Basically, these two features deserve nothing more than 'Bonus Feature' status. Individually, they could (and should) have been tacked on to previous proper Doctor Who DVD releases. There you have it; and here it is... If you want it for the sake of being a completist or if you're such a fan of the show that you want every single piece of footage in existence that relates to the show in as high a quality as possible.

If you're a casual viewer who enjoys watching the occasional engaging and entertaining classic Doctor Who Story - best start looking for another title and give this one a miss for the time being.

If you're looking for a gift for a cash-strapped Doctor Who fan, best to ask first before buying this, it won't be appreciated by someone you don't know well enough. However, it would make an ideal gift for a fan that has possibly put it on their wish list but have more important things to spend their own money on until they can afford and be bothered to buy this. I've bought every classic Doctor who DVD release on the day of release for the past 13 years, but this time, for the first time, I think I'll just wait a while - it's really not a priority purchase right now, even as a long-time Doctor Who fan who buys every release.

3.0 out of 5 stars What's left of 'Shada' and surely it's 'More Than 50 Years In The TARDIS'?!, 18 Mar. 2014
I must admit I was pretty surprised by this box-set and what it contained. Of course I was delighted that `Shada' the original TV version (or what's left of it) was coming out on DVD at last, and we would have the documentary `More Than 30 Years In The TARDIS' added to the collection. Such a shame it wasn't `Dimensions In Time' as I would like to see that on DVD.

`SHADA'

People have various preferences on what version of a certain product they like. In the case of `Shada', there are now three versions of this story. Some prefer the original TV version with Tom Baker, some prefer the recent Gareth Roberts novelisation of the story, some prefer the audio drama from Big Finish starring Paul McGann as the Doctor. I personally prefer the audio drama since it was delight listening to it at the time.

I first got into the world of `Shada' through the Paul McGann Big Finish audio story, believing it to be the `correct' one. But I was fascinated by this version of the story, knowing it was originally meant for Tom Baker and was cancelled due to a strike. So just for the fun of it, I decided to watch the original version on YouTube. It didn't have the best video quality I'm afraid, and it was taken directly from the VHS version that was released in 1992. But hey! I was watching `Shada' in its original form when it was made back in 1979. It was an interesting and intriguing experience watching it, as I made the comparisons between it and the Paul McGann version which I preferred. I felt and honestly thought this would be the only way I would get to see `Shada' on YouTube, since there wasn't going to be a chance it'd get a DVD release. How wrong I was!

When I found out `Shada' the TV version was going to be released on DVD, I was first astounded and surprised, then I was delighted. I was looking forward to seeing `Shada' again and getting to own it on DVD at least. And I was pleased when I got to watch it eventually on DVD when it came out. Although I wish they did some more to the story, as we really have the VHS version that was released on video back in 1992 when John Nathan-Turner produced it. They could have altered slightly, with having some Dudley Simpson music to replace the Keff McCulloch that was provided for the video release which at times is pretty awful. But at least they improved on the video quality, making it look fresher, brighter, sharper and lush with all its Cambridge location scenes and studio scenes.

This DVD gets a treatment of two discs with the original version of `Shada' on the first disc and a wealth of special features on the second one.

I like how this version of `Shada' opens with Tom Baker arriving at a Doctor Who museum, as he provides the linking narration for all the gaps of scenes that weren't filmed for the story. First Tom explores the museum seemingly in awe of all the monsters on display. He's beaten them all. Giant Robot, Cybermen, Daleks, Davros! Yes, even he's beaten Davros on the odd occasion. He continues walking down the line of monsters naming them one by one, until he stumbles across a Kraag. Kraag?! This triggers the Doctor a memory! "SHADA!!!" he bellows before hushing himself as he's getting excited. He remembers. It's all coming back to him. The story they never finished and was never transmitted. I like how Tom introduces us to the story of `Shada' with his memories of fellow actors and a really good script by Douglas Adams. `Poor old Douglas! I wonder what became of him!' He adlibbed a lot of his lines with humorous annotation which I found pretty funny. It sets the whole thing up, as to what we are going to see in this remarkable story that never got made. And with Tom Baker providing the linking narration, it certainly was going to be an intriguing viewing experience.

For the remaining footage and material that was in `Shada' itself, I did enjoy very much what was left in that story. All the location scenes of Cambridge were in the can and there in the story, so that was a good thing and made me happy. Cambridge looks so lovely in its glossy form and lush brilliance in the springtime weather. Makes you want to go there and explore it. They did the `Carols From Kings' at Cambridge which is now shown every year at Christmas on BBC2. I really enjoyed the scenes in Chronotis' room which I'm happy they got recorded in the studio and are favourite scenes of mine since I love Chronotis so much and he's played so brilliantly by Denis Carey. It's such a shame they never got to film scenes like in the science laboratory, aboard Skagra's ship or even on Shada itself. Makes you wonder what those scenes can be light and how challenging it would have been for the production to record all the remaining scenes with Kraags and all.

One scene I really do recognise and remember very well from `Shada' is of course the punting scene on the Cam with the Doctor and Romana. This scene was included in 'The Five Doctors' to fill in Tom Baker's absence when he refused to take part in the 20th anniversary special. Although I had seen that scene already and knew what all the lines were going to be, it was nice to see it where it originally came from and how it fitted in for the rest of the story in what would have been `Shada'. I found it funny when Tom Baker seemed confident about punting on the Cam when in actual fact he can't do it and he was scoffed by the onlookers.

In terms of the cast who appeared in this story, I was pretty pleased by them. I love Denis Carey as Professor Chronotis. He's not like James Fox in what he did for the audio story, but he's clearly `a nice old man' and played the part well with such eccentricity, believability and full of woolly-mindedness. For me Denis Carey would later played the Keeper in the actual story of 'The Keeper of Traken'. So it was nice to see him in what would have been his first `Doctor Who' story that wasn't meant to be.

Christopher Neame was also good in playing Skagra, the villain of the story. I do prefer Andrew Sachs who was amazing in the audio version of `Shada', and did find Neame's performance as Skagra rather lacking. But perhaps Neame played Skagra in a way Douglas Adams would have liked him to in playing the part with such seriousness and no-nonsense. It's such a shame we don't get to have many scenes with Skagra since not all of them were recorded for the story. But it's an interesting interpretation of the character, and one I don't dismiss entirely. It's just how I feel, preferring the audio version so much and Andrew Sachs playing Skagra in general.

Also I enjoyed watching Daniel Hill as Chris Parsons and Victoria Burgoyne as Clare Keightley. Daniel Hill is so believable and really a down-to-Earth person to play Chris Parson who reacts to such bizarre situation with such creditability. I did see or spot Daniel Hill at a convention in Newcastle last year with his wife Olivia Bazalgette (who was the production assistant on `Shada' originally). I'm sorry that I didn't get to meet both Daniel and Olivia at that convention since it was so busy. But I did get to be in a group photo shoot with them at the convention on Saturday which makes me happy.

Also Victoria Burgoyne was a delight to watch in this version of `Shada'. I had seen Victoria before in an episode of 'Ever Decreasing Circles' that's a favourite of mine where Richard Briers as Martin gets stuck up in a loft and she played Peter Egan as Paul's girlfriend. So to realise she was actually in this version of `Shada' was so unexpected and a delight. And Victoria was lovely in the way she played her character. I sympathise for Victoria when Tom recalled how she cried a lot after being so unhappy that `Shada' never got completed. It was supposed to be here first telly. Ah well. She was bound to have more success later on.

Tom Baker and Lalla Ward are really good at this as ever, and are putting so much of their characters into the story itself. I prefer John Leeson as K-9 really, so I'm not entirely happy with David Brierley providing the voice in K-9 in this. It's not against David Brierley's performance. It's just that he's not John Leeson and I find it disconcerting whenever I hear saying lines that are so unnaturally not K-9's own voice. He must still be suffering from laryngitis. But you can't have it all I suppose.

One of the things I liked in this story which I'm sure Dad would like if he saw this, was that there was a group of St. John's Choir Boys singing `Chattanooga Choo Choo' from Glenn Miller in the story. I found it very when they were singing that Tom Baker as the Doctor drove right past them on his bicycle with the sphere chasing him. It was lovely moment. Shame that nobody in 1979-80 got to see that on telly.

The DVD itself contains a number of special features on two discs.

On Disc 1, there's the Big Finish/BBCi audio drama/webcast production of `Shada' starring Paul McGann which you can access on a PC/Mac. I was delighted that this Big Finish version of this story came on DVD and I eventually got to see it in its entirely on my laptop. The animation's not great but it's still enjoyable and it gives an insight of what `Shada' could have looked like had it been made in its entirety.

There's an info-text option commentary to watch during the story that provides insightful detail on how the original version of `Shada' was made.

On Disc 2, there's a special documentary called `Taken Out Of Time - The Making and Breaking of `Shada'', which includes interviews from cast and crew such as Tom Baker, Daniel Hill, Olivia Bazalgette and various other members of the production team. There's also a `Now and Then' focusing on the Cambridge locations in `Shada'. There's `Strike, Strike, Strike' focusing on how strikes affected 'Doctor Who' in general; `Being a Girl' focusing on how women were represented in 'Doctor Who'; and also a photo gallery for the original `Shada' story.

To have this version of `Shada' on DVD is really nice. Although I do admit, I don't find this version not the best I've seen even though it's the original. The Tom Baker version lacked the imagination of what the Paul McGann version had, and also the story on DVD feels incomplete despite Tom Baker's linking narration throughout. But I'm pleased `Shada' has had its legacy with it released on video in 1992 by John Nathan-Turner, turned into an audio drama by Big Finish with Paul McGann and to be novelized by Gareth Roberts. Having this DVD of the original `Shada' completes the legacy and gives more insight into what the story might have been had it been completed. I'm a big fan of `Shada' nowadays and I've chatted to Lalla Ward about how agog I am to find so many versions of this story.

Find out what happens to the Doctor and Romana in 'The Leisure Hive'.

`MORE THAN 30 YEARS IN THE TARDIS'

I was pretty surprised when I found about this item released on DVD. It's not a `Doctor Who' story. It's a `Doctor Who' documentary. It was a special celebratory item produced and directed by Kevin Davies back in 1993 to celebrate the 30th anniversary of `Doctor Who'. I thought it was strange to have this put onto DVD, and you can tell 2Entertain were running out of stories to release on DVD. But it's nice to have and it's starts of the celebrations for the 50th anniversary pretty well in 2013, even though the title of this documentary is slightly dated.

This was shown at a time when `Doctor Who' was undecided and unwanted by the BBC, and there was no knowing whether the show would come back since its cancellation. It made up for the loss of a 30th anniversary special which would have been `The Dark Dimension' and added to the rather rushed Children-in-Need skit `Dimensions In Time' to celebrate 30 years of `Doctor Who'. This documentary explores what makes `Doctor Who' appealing and how it's captured the minds and hearts of millions of people around the world. Even though the show was off-the-air from television screens, people were still celebrating `Doctor Who' for its 30th with Daleks and Cybermen galore.

The documentary is divided into three parts - three Doctor-Who styled episodes with cliffhangers and commercials in between. The titles of these `episodes' include the following `Doctor Who and the Daleks'; `Monsters and Companions' and `Laughter and Tears Behind The Scenes'. The documentary also includes interviews with the cast and crew involved in the making of this series such as Jon Pertwee, Colin Baker, Sylvester McCoy, Elisabeth Sladen, Nicola Bryant, Sophie Aldred, Terrance Dicks, Barry Letts, etc. Nicholas Courtney the Brigadier narrates his documentary and is also interviewed during the making of this story.

I like how in this documentary they have a little boy running around the streets of London with monsters chasing him and him shooting a toy gun at them. He also hides behind the sofa watching `Doctor Who' on an old fashioned television screen. I thought it was funny and rather sweet when the boy got dressed in a Dalek suit made out of PVC shouting `Exterminate! Exterminate!'. We also get to sees Daleks trundling on Westminster Bridge chasing Carole Ann Ford which recreates scenes from 'The Dalek Invasion Of Earth'. We also have 80s Cybermen walking down the steps of St Paul's Cathedral, recreating scenes from 'The Invasion'. We also have a Sontaran chasing after Lis Sladen and her daughter Sadie in a large house. There's also Autons smashing through shop windows chasing after the little boy at the beginning of the documentary, recreating a scene from 'Spearhead from Space'.

In this documentary , we have behind-the-scenes footage and rare interviews from the 60s, 70s and 80s on certain stories which provides some interesting insight into the story especially for those who had never seen them before back in 1993.

All of the Doctor's eras are covered more or less. William Hartnell's era is represented by Carole Ann Ford and Verity Lambert, and also by her granddaughter Jessica Carney who's done the autography on him. I was thrilled by seeing rare footage and photos of William Hartnell attending events or various functions where he meets fans, something which I thought never happened back in the early 1960s. Patrick Troughton is represented by Frazer Hines and Deborah Watlling who are also interviewed and appear at the end in the Dalek control room from 'The Evil of the Daleks' in colour which looks exciting to watch.

Jon Pertwee appears in this documentary being interviewed which was fantastic, and he gets to be reunited with his own car, the Whomobile, which only appeared in two stories on his time during the show. I love it when Jon Pertwee's walking beside a Draconian and he's explaining why he finds the Draconians his favourite aliens. He politely asks the Draconian to speak and it goes `My life at your command' which is very thrilling. I enjoyed watching Jon Pertwee in this documentary, especially it was not long after doing this he passed away in 1996, so it's good to see him contributing to `Doctor Who' still especially for its 30th.

I loved seeing Elisabeth Sladen in this who has her daughter Sadie with her, which I found very sweet. Lis is a popular `Doctor Who' companion and well loved by fans. It was nice to see her in this, especially since Lis is no longer with us and it's endearing to be watching her interviewed involved in her show that's made me her so popular and well-loved. I found it sweet when Lis appeared materialising in the living room where the boy's watching TV and she joins him and comforts him whilst watching the series. Something any fan would like to have. To have a `Doctor Who' companion join whilst watching the telly. I know I would like Sarah Sutton to join me when we watch and chat about her `Doctor Who's on the sofa in the living room of my house. Seeing Lis Sladen in this was a treat, and helps me to remember Lis with great fondness for all the things she's done in playing Sarah Jane Smith in the series.

Gerry Anderson who created `Thunderbirds' gets interviewed in this documentary with his son beside him. I couldn't help feel sorry for Gerry who created all these children's shows and yet his son prefers `Doctor Who' over his own shows, which I couldn't help but smile and giggle a bit. I wonder if they did move out into a new house for Gerry's son to store all his Doctor Who memorabilia into.

It was great to see Nicholas Courtney as well in this, who provided a big contribution to the series as the Brigadier. Everybody shares their fondest memories of working with Nick and rightly so, and I'm glad when Nick told of how William Hartnell liked him when he first worked with him in `The Daleks' Master Plan'. I got a thrill when Nicholas Courtney tried to escape in a car, only to be driven off by an Auton chauffeur towards the end.

I thought it was a shame Tom Baker and Peter Davison never got interviewed for this documentary as for some of the other companions involved in the series, since their contribution was far greater as anyone else's. We only get rare archive interviews from 70s/80s news items to make up for this like from Tom Baker.

I found the Peter Davison era rather thinly covered especially since nobody was from that era was interviewed. Not even Peter Davison. I was personally saddened that Sarah Sutton never got interviewed for this documentary since she's my favourite companion and surely Sarah's as important to the show's history as anyone else like Janet Fielding or Katy Manning who also never got interviewed. But at least we saw some behind-the-scenes footage of some of the actors, including Sarah in some amusing outtakes/bloopers from the end credits sequence, including ones I've never seen before which is astonishing even for me. I remember Sarah winking with amusement in an outtake for `Arc of Infinity'. I've never seen that before and it is certainly isn't on the DVD extras for that story, so it was lovely to watch.

I enjoyed seeing Colin Baker and Nicola Bryant being reunited again as they walk down the steps of St Paul's Cathedral followed by Cybermen marching down. They chat about what makes a Doctor Who companion before realised they're being followed by Cybermen and try to hide. It was lovely to see these together, and Nicola looks pretty smart in red jacket and wearing a tie. Trying to mimic Lalla Ward's school uniform in `City of Death' perhaps?

Watching Sylvester McCoy and Sophie Aldred was great too as they meet up. Sylvester gets himself lost calling out for Sophie as he walks in a set from 'Battlefield'. The two back into each other by mistake and soon meet up with some Hamevores. They're delighted to meet the actors inside the Hamevore costumes remembering them from `The Curse of Fenric'. I love how these two share their memories from the show, since at the time they were the recent Doctor-companion team before the show's cancellation.

The Peter Cushing era of `Doctor Who' gets a mention and remembrance from this too. Yes! Even the Peter Cushing era. We have Daleks and Robomen from `Daleks - Invasion Earth 2150 AD' patrolling London as it was done in the movies, and we also get Roberta Tovey and Jennie Lidden who appeared in the two movies recollecting good memories working on the films with such great fondness. It's nice that those Dalek films with Peter Cushing got a mention in this documentary and weren't forgotten.

Also interviewed for this documentary is Alan Yentob, who at the time was Controller of BBC1 and was instrumental in bringing the show back during the 90s. He's being interviewed about what the future of `Who' brings and whether it's coming back. He doesn't give definite answers in this, but if you keep watching towards the end you might find him in conversation with someone about a potential `Doctor Who' film. I wonder what that could mean. Paul McGann perhaps?

This documentary is about nostalgia and marking 30 years of the show's history. It has recollections and fond memories of a show at a time that seems to be on the verge of extinction. It is produced and directed with great fondness with contributions from cast and crew making it. It must have been a delight for fans to watch this back in 1993 and was an essential boost to bringing the show back during its wilderness years. Years on, we're still celebrating the show's history for 50 years and running. It's still going strong today.

The special features on this DVD include the following. There' Remembering Nicholas Courtney' which an interview with the splendid chap looking back on his life and playing the Brigadier in `Doctor Who' recorded shortly before his death in 2011. There's `Doctor Who Stories - Peter Purves' featuring an 2003 interview with Peter Purves on his time for Doctor Who which is oddly placed on this DVD especially. `The Lambert Tapes - Part One' which includes an interview with Verity Lambert, the original producer of `Doctor Who' also filmed back in 2003. `Those Deadly Divas' featuring interviews with Kate O'Mara (the Rani), Camille Coduri (Jackie Tyler), Tracy-Ann Oberman (Yvonne Hartman, `Army of Ghosts'/'Doomsday'), and writers Gareth Roberts and Clayton Hickman examining the role of divas in `Doctor Who. And there are some small items including a Radio Times listing for the documentary, a photo gallery and an Easter Egg hidden somewhere on this DVD.

This DVD collection is all about legacy. `Shada' focuses on its own legacy as `More Than 30 Years In The TARDIS' focuses on the legacy of `Doctor Who'. It's nice to have these DVDs added to the collection. This box-set has inspired me to create my own homemade DVD to celebrate `Doctor Who's legacy on one companion in particular. It starts off the celebrations of `Doctor Who' very nicely and is worthy to have especially if you're a fan of `Shada' and you want to see what was done to keep the spirit of `Who' alive during the wilderness years. Not proper Who stories, but each DVD is full of nostalgia.

On both DVDs, there's a coming soon trailer for the next DVD release 'The Reign of Terror'.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Off-Cuts Collection, 21 Dec. 2012
Now then, the debate of the century {not really but it feels like it at times} has been the un-inclusion of the £25,000 Ian Levine Shada animation. The forums and the fans that dwell within them have been set alight by this most gravest of tragedys. But for all my salt as a fan of Doctor Who, I just could not care less. Having finally gotten fed up of peoples bias opinions on the matter I finally went and read in detail the reasons behind it's non-inclusion. And in the end, it was never going to work so why on earth put so much effort into giving yourself a heart attack. I found out that Ian went ahead and spent 25k without proir agreement with the beeb or any sort of assurance that it would be professionally released. Hmmm...

Shada is a story that I have never been enamoured with, it was a product of it's time, mainly the disastrous 17th season and final year of Graham Williams tenure. Nearly all the stories that year were below par, save for City of Death. Shada, for me anyway, would have just been the icing on the cake. I have viewed the VHS version {and thusly the DVD version because that's all that is included, yes, a VHS to DVD straight copy!!! {with restoration of course}} many times and it just never grabs me. I suppose that is in part due to the fact that it is only half complete, but even if it was complete, I would have never been one of it's supporters. Don't get me wrong, I would have loved to have seen Ian's complete version included on this DVD, if only for something new to try and tempt me towards liking this so called "lost classic". But hey, since it's not going to happen, I'll just have to stick to the VHS version and thusly my disagreeable opinion of it.

Either way, you are probably wondering why I have given this DVD review a 5 star rating. I can assure you Amazon reader that it is not because of my undying love of Shada, as you have probably gathered, but because of it's other lesser-known brother in this boxed set, More Than 30 Years In The TARDIS. What a great and self-indulgent documentary this is. A great piece, created way back in 1993/4 that had every fan reaching for the Video remote to record BBC2. I first saw this doco when I was still wet behind the ears concerning Doctor Who, and this doco made me think of Who as one of the greatest TV programmes of the era, if not ever. And how right was I to think thus so. Doctor Who from then on with the aid of Jon Pertwee repeats on UKGold was a mainstay in my TV viewing and that has not changed for more than 12 years. This doco was a small part of my destiny to become an avid viewer of Doctor Who.

The boxed set is rounded off with a series of documentaries and featurettes that evidently could not be fitted onto other DVD's coming out next year. Still, the oddness of their inclusion only adds to the enjoyment of this DVD and I think, it all makes for one hell of a start to next years fabulous release schedule and the end of the greatest collection of DVD's in the history of the world.

Many thanks for reading my review. It's greatly appreciated.

M.B.

4.0 out of 5 stars From the vaults, 17 Feb. 2013
Paul Tapner (poole dorset england) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
A box set containing two Doctor Who DVDS, both in individual boxes themselves, that are reissues of things that came on out on VHS back almost twenty years ago.

First is Shada. The legendary lost 'classic' of the old show. A six part story written to finish off Tom Baker's sixth year. It would have been the last for the producer and script editor of the time. The latter being Douglas Adams of Hitchhiker's guide fame. Who also wrote Shada. Shada sees the Fourth Doctor and Romana visit Cambridge to see an old friend. Only to find that said friend is in possession of a secret that mad scientist Skagra needs in order to further his quest for universal domination. The location of the legendary prison planet of the Time Lords...

Shada was never completed because of a strike at the BBC. For years after, it attained cult status amongst fans simply because it was a story we'd never seen, therefore it was bound to be great. A couple of clips from it were used in 'the Five Doctors.' Then the BBC finally put the whole thing together, using all the footage that was produced and various visual effects, plus linking narration from Tom Baker in character. Said character being the actor called Tom Baker who used to play the Doctor.

Then we discovered what Douglas Adams. Shada wasn't actually that good.

Shada actually is somewhat better than that assessment. But Doctor Who stories of the time that ran to six parts did so by necessity to fill out the required two extra episodes. So it does feel stretched. The bigger problem though is that whilst there's a lot of footage and only occasional narration early on, as the episodes go by, there's less footage and lots more narration. It just feels that you hardly get much of the former.

It really remains a fascinating glimpse at what could have been.

The DVD is a straight reissue of the VHS version, albeit with some cleaning up of visual effects.

However, as an extra, you do get an online version of the story that was done over a decade later. Which has Paul McGann as the eighth Doctor and Lalla Ward as a somewhat older Romana in the story. This is a full cast audio drama which was broadcast online using flash animation for the visuals. This version is accessible by putting the disc onto a computer and opening up the files. The flash animation is very basic. The opening scene is pretty clever in how it gets the Eighth Doctor into the story, and also explains the use of the the clips in the Five Doctors. But beyond that the script is much the same. Thus it's the same as the cd soundtrack of this version that came out a while back, but it's a more complete version of the story in many ways.

The dvd has the following language and subtitle options:

Languages: English.

Subtitles: English.

It's also English audio captioned.

It has the usual extras for this range of:

Photo gallery.

Production information subtitles.

Coming soon trailer. [as ever with flashing images].

Plus several documentaries:

Taken out of time. All about Shada, this runs for twenty five minutes. Is very informative. Has lovely Cambridge locations. And Tom Baker walking his dog. So it's well worth a watch.

Strike! Strike! Strike! is roughly thirty minutes long and all about how strikes affected the show down the years. This is a fascinating trip down memory lane for those of a certain age with some great old footage. It's also well worth a look.

Now and then: runs just under ten minutes and compares the Cambridge locations for the story as they are now to as they were in 1979. Some great scenery makes this a good watch.

Being a girl runs for twenty five minutes and looks at how the show has treated female characters down the years. It's not entirely sure what point it's trying to make but it's a watchable production.

The other release in this box set is More than Thirty years in the TARDIS. Back in 1993, the BBC broadcast a documentary to mark the show's thirtieth anniversary. But a lot was cut from it for timing reasons. A VHS version came out with all the cut bits reinstated. This is a reissue of that VHS version. It could be a very out of date programme now but it does remain an excellent piece of work, with reconstructions of key scenes, excellent interviews, and some good presentation. It is still one of the best documentaries made about the show.

This has the same language and subtitle options as Shada, plus the photo gallery, coming soon trailer and production infromation subtitles.

For an easter egg, press the down key on the dvd remote till the menu gets to photo gallery, then press left then press play. For a short snippet from an interview with Director Richard Martin about his professional relationship with producer Verity Lambert. It's worth a watch.

Extras on this dvd are:

Remembering Nicholas Courtney. A twenty five minute long tribute to the actor who played the Brigadier. It uses footage from an unfinished 2010 interview where he was clearly in poor health, but these sections do contain a big surprise. So their inclusion is justified. Beyond that it is a fine tribute, with some classic archival footage from other shows you might have never expected to see again.

Doctor who stories. More interviews recorded for 2003's the story of Doctor Who, with first Doctor companion Peter Purves and original producer Verity Lambert. Running fourteen and ten minutes each both are very good interviewees and these are good viewing.

Those deadly divas is a twenty five minute long feature [approx] about some of the stronger female characters on the show down the years. With contributions from many of the actresses in question, it's a lively and entertaining production.

These are not two of the most essential dvds in the range, but both offer some good viewing, and the whole collection is overall worth getting.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 11 July 2014
this was a very good dvd as it had extra footage not shown on original broadcast

3.0 out of 5 stars Completing collection?, 30 Jun. 2014
Not the most obvious pairing but useful for the completist. Good to have both the unfinished original and the Big Finish version of 'Shada' and the documentary was a useful summary of the state of play when it was made.

3.0 out of 5 stars never seen until now, 28 Feb. 2014
fad (south shields) - See all my reviews
a lot of people will disagree with me, but I thought this story has been overhyped like most of the modern doctor who's and various movies that are out their. the acting was pretty poor in my opinion not like the usual standard of tom bakers and the story in principle was a great idea but the story just lacked something that I cant quite put my finger on, maybe it was the poorer acting or special effects I just don't know. on the plus side at least I finally managed to see the show at long last.

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable, 27 Sept. 2013
Because of a strike at the BBC, Shada was never fully produced, which is a real shame. The story was written by Douglas Adams who brought us The HickHikers Guide To The Galaxy and in Doctor Who he brought us City of Death. On the DVD we get all the footage along with narration from Tom Baker of the scenes that were never filmed. Personally I really enjoyed this story more than City of Death.
More Than 30 Years in the TARDIS is the documentary about Doctor Who produced in 1993 for the 30th anniversary of the show. I found this very interesting. It is worth watching if you are a fan of the classic series of the show.