5.0 out of 5 stars The wonderful unsung heroine, Miep Gies
Recently I visited, for the first time, the annex where the Franks' and their fellow friends in hiding spent around two years avoiding the persecution of the Nazis. I then read the remarkable diary of Anne Frank, who writes with such skill and vitality for someone so young. I then got hold of Miep Gies' book - she being the one who looked after all eight occupants in the...
Published on 1 Jun. 2008 by Royale

3.0 out of 5 stars Enlightening
I have to put my hand up and admit that I have never read anything about Anne Frank before. This was a positive and personal choice. My mother was born of Jewish parents and converted to Christianity at a time my grandfather felt it worthy of the comment that it would not save her from the Nazis. Because of this I have always been afraid to pursue the subject but fully...
Published on 23 Jan. 2010 by Mr. G. Mayfield

5.0 out of 5 stars Remembering Miep Gies, 14 Feb. 2010
Deacon Smith (Stoke-on-Trent, Staffs) - See all my reviews
Although I knew the story of Anne Frank I had never read her diary until I was lent a copy to read. Whilst reading it I heard of the death at 100 of Miep Gies and so was led to read Miep's book about Anne Frank.
This makes an excellent companion piece to the diary, giving the story of Miep and her husband, and amazing insights to Dutch life during the Nazi occupation.
This is a story that needs to be read and reread. We need to remember Anne and those millions like her who suffered and died, and also the simple yet powerful example of people like Mies and millions like her to simply did what they did in difficult and evil times.

5.0 out of 5 stars Remarkable story, 10 Jun. 2003
Frieda Verbaenen (Dublin, Ireland) - See all my reviews
It's been a while since I read this book (the original Dutch version), but it's really worth reading! It is the story of Miep Gies - who with her husband took care of the Frank family and the other people in the attic. It tells us how she originally came to Holland and then stayed there. The main part of the book focuses on WWII and their pledge to save the lives of their friends. It shows us what kind of risks they took and how they continued doing so, even in the face of mortal danger, even when they were tired, hungry and depressed.
Pity it is not available at the moment.

4.0 out of 5 stars Biography of Anne Frank's helper, 27 Feb. 2011
This is the biography of the very courageous woman who, with her husband, did most in the effort to save the Frank and other families and faced the hard slog of caring for them and finding food. She protected them from knowledge of the worst of what was happening outside and the dangers which they were all facing while giving them all staunch emotional support.

This biography gives another facet to the Anne Frank story and an idea of what many Dutch people did to help Jewish people.

5.0 out of 5 stars An inspiration, 2 Dec. 2013
B. H. Watson (Wolverhampton, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Anne Frank Remembered: The Story of the Woman Who Helped to Hide the Frank Family (Kindle Edition)
I read Anne Frank`s diary as a child and have since been fascinated by her story and by the heroism of those who risked all to help. I also saw Mr Frank appear on Blue Peter and found his calm peace incredible. After years of reading other histories and memoirs of the holocaust then hearing of Miep Gies` passing I heard of this book. I read it almost in one sitting- I would recommend this story of an inspirational woman as a social history, as an important background to the diaries and as a memorial reminder of a largely forgotten heroine.

5.0 out of 5 stars Moving account of a well-known story, 7 April 2013
Very moving, interesting and insightful point of view from Miep. An enjoyable if inevitably sad read. I would highly recommend to readers who want to learn more about Anne and her time in hiding from another perspective.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Read, 11 Mar. 2012
E. Parks - See all my reviews
If you have read The Diary of Anne Frank then this is a lovely addition for those wanting more detail about the lives of those involved in their hiding. Miep Gies is also an inspirational woman in her own right with a fascinating life story. An excellent read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating, 19 Mar. 2010
L. Crutcher "starbar" (Surrey) - See all my reviews
This was a fascinating book. I read it within two days. Interesting to read an account from Miep Gies' perspective. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Anne Frank Remembered by Miep Goes., 2 April 2015
A poignant, informative and detailed account of how Miep Gies helped Anne Frank and her family when they were in hiding in Holland from the Nazis. Books like this help to keep alive the utter horror of the Holocaust. The evil and barbaric extermination of so many Jewish people in World War Two must never, ever be forgotten. Thank you, Amazon, for having this important true story available for us to read and remember.

5.0 out of 5 stars emotional., 22 April 2014
Having been given Anne's diary to read at 12 yrs old I have had such an interest in her story ever since. I have now after 45 years been to amsterdam and visited The attic where she and her family were hiding. What a very emotional and heartbreaking story,|I shed tears while in her bedroom and am so glad \I have finally been there. I read all books I can find and really enjoyed this one

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent read, 19 Dec. 2014
This book is an excellent read regardless of whether you have read Anne Frank's diary or not. If you have read the diary then Miep's story can only add to the experience. If you are not familiar with the diary then this is a fascinating insight to the suffering of ordinary people during the war years and what it takes to survive. Once started you won't want to put it down.