4.0 out of 5 stars Stormbringers
I ENJOYED THIS, THE SECOND BOOK IN THE ORDER OF DARKNESS SERIES. PHILIPPA GREGORY MAKES THE FICTIONAL CHARACTERS TOTALLY BELIEVABLE DURING AN ERA OF HISTORY LARGELY UNKNOWN IN ANY DETAIL.I look forward to the next episode.
Published 14 months ago by joanH

3.0 out of 5 stars Order of Darkness book 2
Published 18 months ago by Sarah (Feeling Fictional)

3.0 out of 5 stars Order of Darkness book 2, 17 July 2013
Sarah (Feeling Fictional) (Kent, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Isolde travelling to her godfather hoping he will help her regain the inheritance her brother stole from her while Luca is on a mission for The Order of Darkness to search for signs of the end of the world. While their paths take the same direction the group has agreed to travel together but their journey comes to an unexpected stop when they come across a children's crusade. The crusade is led by a 16 year old boy referred to as Johann the Good. Luca is immediately suspicious of the boy thinking that he is up to no good but after talking to him and watching him preach both Luca and Isolde are convinced he is speaking the word of god. As they prepare to travel with the crusade a terrible tragedy unfolds, one that brings suspicion down on the group and that is going to make it hard for Luca to prove their innocence.

I really enjoyed Changeling so I was looking forward to catching up with Luca, Freize, Isolde, Ishraq and even Brother Peter. Unfortunately I'm left with mixed feelings over Stormbringers, and didn't enjoy it quite as much as the first book. The first half of the story was quite slow going and I found myself getting bored and feeling disinclined to pick up the book to carry on reading. Luckily the action really picked up in the second half and the story became much more enjoyable and turned into the kind of book I was expecting to read.

I think it is probably down to personal preference but I wasn't a huge fan of the strong religious focus at the beginning of the story. Although I'd not come across children's crusades in fiction before and therefore should have found it an interesting topic it failed to hold my interest. It wasn't until the tragedy begins to unfold that I found myself really invested in the story. I'm not going to tell you what actually happens I'll just say that it was a bit like watching a horror movie unfold, you know that part where you know what is coming but the heroes are completely oblivious and continue walking straight into the danger zone? That was exactly how I felt while I was reading. For someone living in modern times we would easily recognise the signs and know what was about to happen but back in the middle ages they would have had no way of predicting the events that were unfolding or known how to avoid them.

I also found myself starting to get a little frustrated with the characters, I'd been enjoying watching Luca and Isolde get to know each other in Changeling and had hoped for a romance to start to develop between them but I found myself disappointed with the way Isolde was acting in this instalment. There was one particular point where she seemed to turn into a spoilt childish brat and it left me really annoyed with her. Freize is also absent for a large chunk of the story which was disappointing because he has always been such a source of entertainment who adds a lot of humour to the series.

Although Stormbringers wasn't my favourite book in the series it was still an OK read and I will definitely be picking up the third book when it is released next year in the hope that it follows the same vein as the second half of this story.

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed, 9 July 2013
This review is from: Stormbringers (Order of Darkness Book 2) (Kindle Edition)
Avid fan of PG ,no substance to story, so bored took ages to read but will do better next time

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 2 July 2013
This review is from: Stormbringers (Order of Darkness Book 2) (Kindle Edition)
I thought that this was disappointing compared to all of her previous books and I have read all of them. It seemed to have little depth and was beginning to turn into a historical chick lit book. For much of the time the storyline was predictable however it is the first of a series and may well develop as the story goes on and I will be prepared to read the next one.

4.0 out of 5 stars Stormbringers, 28 Nov. 2013

4.0 out of 5 stars Order of Darkness (Book 2), 20 Nov. 2013
Not as good as the first book in my opinion but another excellent turn from Phillipa Gregory - can't wait for the next one!

4.0 out of 5 stars Stormbringers, 12 Aug. 2013
Mrs. J. A. Ferris (Spain) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Stormbringers (Order of Darkness Book 2) (Kindle Edition)
It is a rather complicated story, mixing fact and myth. I found it well written but perhaps there is a previous book explaining why the main characters are doing this expedition and why, thus enabling the reader to undertsand the motivation a little better.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great new series, 15 Jun. 2013
I just wish that Philippa Gregory had made these longer! She's a wonderful atmospheric storyteller and even though these are aimed at 14 year olds, I feel that they could manage a longer version of these lovely novels. This one was based around the Children's Crusade.

4.0 out of 5 stars I like a book which gives me information as well as ..., 3 Jan. 2015
Stormbringers
This was intriguing. I'd read of the children's crusade but knew little about it. I like a book which gives me information as well as a good story. The only thing is that this is one of more to come and I didn't really think I wanted to know more of the dioings of the characters. There was a romance already in place from the start but it never seeemed certain sure.
Any way I read the book to the end which says it was holding enough interest, I loved the wee drawings!

3.0 out of 5 stars I found this story interesting but less so than Philppa ..., 14 Sept. 2014
I found this story interesting but less so than Philppa Gregory's Tudor series and other novels. This is possibly because this particular series is intended for 'young adults' or teenagers. I prefer her more complex tales and having read Changeling and Stormbringers I will probably not buy the next one

5.0 out of 5 stars Stormbringers, 15 July 2014
This review is from: Stormbringers (Order of Darkness Book 2) (Kindle Edition)
An engaging sequel,full of beautifully written descriptions. As usual this is Philippa Gregory at her best. Ready for Fool's Gold.

Stormbringers (Order of Darkness Book 2)