on 11 September 2014
Although some people won't agree, I believe that if a book is part of a series then you need to read all the books to understand it. That's how I feel you know when you have a good story. This book is the second in the series and I find with a lot of second or sometimes even third books the authors tend to explain too much of what we already learnt it the book before and in such an obvious way. With this book I don't think I had any of that and if there was then it was hidden well or I don't remember (I am in the middle of the third book so pardon my memory if I am wrong). I also liked that any explanation was cut up into short chunks. I don't read a lot of books like this one (I'm a sucker for a good romcom) but there are an odd few that I have loved. I also like that there is a map at the beginning as I'm one of those readers that like to have a good discription to allow them to imagine the scene and also how far the characters have travelled and how far they are from the people they love.

The story is strong and imaginative with enough twists and turns. The story travels well with a good pace and jumps between character cleanly so that the story flows better. If a character hints something or something happens that changes another characters situation, then we need a little suspense but we don't want to wait ten or more pages to get to it.

Good book well worth the money and time. My college tutor won't be happy though as I have been procrastinating instead of doing coursework!
on 30 January 2013
I really enjoyed this book and can't wait for the next book. The writer can tell a good story with just the right amount of description and information. I felt that the story developed at a good pace and I ilked being able to experience the anguish/determination/hope etc from the point of view of different characters.
on 6 September 2015
I love it when the second book starts where the first ended. All of the questions of what happened and what happened to the characters, are all answered, and then some.
Maxwell transported me back to a magical place of lore, bladesingers, enchanters, illusionists, elementalists, and of men!
It's story is essentially of good vs evil, but it's the collective power of man that prevails. But it is so much more with many twists that I didn't see coming.
We follow the journey of our favourite characters and the power that each of them have.
At times I gasped and said 'oh no' quite a few times out loud. It's a sure sign that the author has grabbed my attention!
I loved that there was a map at the beginning, I had go back and chart the path of the characters. I'm glad it was there for me to refer to.
I would love to see this saga made into films, the special effects would be fantastic.
on 25 January 2013
This book is as brilliant as book 1. Yet again once i started reading i couldnt put this book down. will definately keep an eye out for book 3.
on 20 September 2013
If you are bothering to read this review then you probably haven't read the first book in the series. Get your hiney to The Enchantress page Enchantress Evermen Saga Book ebook (Free on kindle and worth every penny of the paper copy)
This book was excellent. I am enjoying finding out more about this complex and intricate fantasy land the author has created in the next book.
The second book the authors style of writing has improved over the first book. Though it was fine in the first book. Again I felt it could have used a little more editing. The words "scratch" & "scratched" appears quite a lot in dialogue whereas it didn't really appear at all in the first book. I get the impression that the author had intended to do a word search and replace those words at a later date... Despite this it was still a really great book and well worth the small sum of money I paid for it - It has cost me considerably more in billable hours that I spent reading it rather than doing my job!!! :-)
I have just downloaded the third book which I am greatly looking forward to.
on 24 April 2014
This gets so much better the more the tale is told. The author breathes a richness and depth into the land in much the same way that Tolkien, Donaldson and Eddings were able to do. It is the sign of a great talent when he is able to keep multiple story lines racing along without losing focus on the main theme.
on 28 September 2015
As someone relatively new to Mr Maxwell's writing style, book one I realized almost immediately I'd finally found an author that met my very discerning needs, you'll note needs and not tastes, for me, a book first and foremost has to meet one singular requirement, to fully remove me from this world, and completely and without question take me to a place where this worlds insanity and greed and hopelessness and worst don't exist. Reading book two of four, Mr Maxwell's efforts have earned him a place on this reader's no.1 spot, and to take that away from David and Leigh Eddings, who've held that spot for over 20 years, if you want a damn amazing read, from an exceptional author, rest yet weary traveller, for thy quest truly is at its end 😊
on 23 February 2013
I really enjoyed reading this second book! It held a good pace and definitely kept me interested.

The only smallest of niggles were that the location of the relic was guessable from relatively early on.. - and then there was a little bit at the end that didn't seem consistent/make sense. I don't think is in any way a spoiler, though I'm thinking you'll probably work what I'm talking about. Really enjoyed the other 99.5% of the book though!

Not quite sure how the next book will go .. but considering I've enjoyed the last two, like others, I'll be keeping an eye out.
on 4 June 2015
The first one was promising but this was just the standard formula and extremely predictable. I ended up skipping large parts and will not be reading anymore of the series.
on 19 August 2014
This second book in the series I found as entertaining and exciting as the first. Yes of course one's grip on reality must be suspended that is obvious when reading novels of this kind. There may be a reason why many of us are enchanted by Harry Potter, Games of Thrones and these Evermen stories. In a world filled with hate and vengeance maybe the thought of magic, good magic and the fact that good always wins sustains our optimism in a better future. I want a future where my children and grandchildren can live in peace. Let's hope Isis don't make it through the portal!