4.0 out of 5 stars Brit `Neo Noir' that is quite good.
Published 18 months ago by Tommy Dooley

1.0 out of 5 stars Pee Poor UK Sound recording
I really wanted to enjoy this film.
Filled with some of my favorite actors and a fine plot.
A darkest noir and compelling and interesting story.
Some very good acting.

4.0 out of 5 stars Brit `Neo Noir' that is quite good., 15 May 2013
Tommy Dooley (London, England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: I, Anna [DVD] (DVD)
This is a British film that tells the story of Anna played expertly by the much talented Charlotte Rampling. She has come out of the end of a bad marriage and is looking for love. Trouble is she is looking in the wrong place and attending one of those lonely heart speed date type things. Age is catching up with her and she is coming across as forgetful, and she has no mobile phone and still uses real phone boxes!

Then she literally bumps into Detective Chief Inspector Bernie Reid, who is investigating a `brutal murder', why are they always `brutal'? Sorry I just can't think of a nice murder, but I digress, this is played by veteran Gabriel Byrne, who as usual brings the full authority of his prowess to the role. He sees something in her straight away and decides to meet again. As the story of Anna is told in flashback we get glimpses of what really happened, but this is one of those that will have you guessing right up till the end - as indeed anything [pertaining to be a `noir' of any description ought to do.

This is well acted, well directed and has great cinematography, the music sounds like classic Richard Hawley but it's not him. And even though this all looks and feels like London, some of it was filmed in Hamburg. One more for trivia fans the director and co-writer is Barnaby Southcombe who is the real life son of Charlotte Rampling, so no wonder she agreed to the gig. This is a very good film and will appeal to all fans of noir or even a bit of murder mystery type shenanigans and I think we can expect more from Mr Southcombe in the future

4.0 out of 5 stars London Noir, 17 Dec 2012
This review is from: I, Anna [DVD] (DVD)
This is a handsome and intriguing drama. I fancy director Barnaby Southcombe would characterise it as a thriller, but it never quite musters the intensity for that.

We are pitched into the world of Allegra (Charlotte Rampling, in real life Southcombe's mother), a sixty-something divorcee trying her hand at speed dating. It's Charlotte Rampling, of course, so this is no dowdy, blue-rinsed old bat: the mojo's still working, though it does look a while since she's taken it out for a spin. In the ladies' she meets Joan (Honor Blackman, once upon a time Pussy Galore so hardly a slouch, and looking tremendous value for 87 years) who gees Allegra up, and rescues her from a moment of doubt.

Before long it's all coming together: Allegra is repairing to a swanky apartment in the Barbican with likely beau George Stone (Ralph Brown).

Yet something doesn't feel quite right. Allegra is in fact Anna, and she wears her face like a mask. Her smile is so permanently fixed it has developed a crust, but her liquid eyes tell a different story.

In the morning the downstairs neighbour, alerted by dripping water, finds George bludgeoned and dead.

All was not what it seemed with George either: a number of leads present immediately themselves to Inspector Flying Fox of the Yard, who arrives in the shape of DCI Bernie Reid (Gabriel Byrne). Southcombe never lets us feel any sympathy for George: however it happened, and whomever the agent, in the grander plan he got what was coming to him.

Like Anna, Bernie Reid is also at crotchets and quavers in his life: as he stalks around George's apartment barking orders to his men he deals by mobile with the flotsam of his disintegrating marriage. By chance Bernie, encounters Anna as he leaves the building. It is Anna's mojo and not her crimescene-proximity that compels Gabriel to do some snooping on her. He makes a note of her licence plate. Before long he is "fortuitously" bumping into her at a speed dating evening for seniors.

And so, a little laboriously, we arrive at the film's dramatic kernel. Bernie and Anna grow slowly together, and yet we know complications must lie ahead, chiefly revolving around whatever secret is that Anna harbours. Always, the inscrutable smile, not joined in by her eyes. We don't know whether this impermeable barrier is designed to stop truths getting out or reality getting in. But oddly, neither Bernie nor Anna seems aware of the coming storm when Anna, at least, surely must be.

We sense there is to be a reveal, and in time there is, courtesy of which Barnaby Southcombe brings this handsome drama in.

To be sure, there are rough edges to the screenplay and characters which are never fully sanded down, and to my mind Southcombe never really opens the throttle on the drama, but cinematographer Ben Smithard's framing is sophisticated and the underexposed gunmetal tones of his palate lends London a menacing, noir air. This is an impressive and accomplished film debut.

Olly Buxton

5.0 out of 5 stars Charlotte Rampling steal every scene; even the ones she is not in:), 22 Sep 2013
This review is from: I, Anna [DVD] (DVD)
I purchased this DVD because I am appreciative of Gabriel Byrne's work. However all I can say is "Charlotte Rampling wow, wow, wow!" What an amazing actress. How have I been so long on the planet without seeing her in something else? That is acting!

4.0 out of 5 stars Really enjoyed it., 22 April 2013
Nuala Elizabeth O'Leary (Wellingborough, Northants United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: I, Anna [DVD] (DVD)
Elegant and well directed, I, Anna is well worth a look. A couple of fantastic performances from the two leads and plenty of intrigue makes this a really enjoyable film which will keep you guessing until the end.

1.0 out of 5 stars Pee Poor UK Sound recording, 27 Oct 2014
Gideon Reader (South Florida, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: I, Anna [DVD] (DVD)
I really wanted to enjoy this film.
Filled with some of my favorite actors and a fine plot.
A darkest noir and compelling and interesting story.
Some very good acting.
Excellent direction and possible the
worst sound recording possible. Moreover this offering came
sans sub-titles making it possible for my hearing impaired self
to miss **almost every line spoken**.
Surely there are hearing impaired persons in the UK,
Sub Tees should be as normal as generally bad British film industry sound recording
mandates. Bad on ya as an aussie friend would say.

3.0 out of 5 stars Three Stars, 30 Aug 2014
M. Richardson (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: I, Anna [DVD] (DVD)
This was an OK DVD, but nothing special.

5.0 out of 5 stars a story of hope, 12 April 2013
This review is from: I, Anna [DVD] (DVD)
This is a dreamy, atmospheric film. I think that Clare Rampling is excellent as Anna. What could be quite a bleak tale becomes a story of hope at the end of the film. I do not want to say any more as I do not want to give too much away.

2.0 out of 5 stars A pointless jigsaw, 20 April 2013
This review is from: I, Anna [DVD] (DVD)
This is one of those films where the scenes jump from past to present and we're expected to solve the jigsaw. The actual story is fairly simple, but I must say I found it did not hold my attention. Charlotte Rampling wears a permanent expression of angst, which is fair enough, considering her problems, but, given her lack of any life I cannot see how she attracts Gabriel Byrne, who at least varies his facial expressions. That any policeman would behave like him, especially one of high rank, is hard to believe. I cannot recommend this film to anyone who is not a fan of one of the protagonists.

3.0 out of 5 stars Cutting Room Floor..., 25 Sep 2013
This review is from: I, Anna [DVD] (DVD)
I bought this film on DVD because I worked on it as an 'Extra', or 'SA' (Supporting Artiste) as the industry has it. The film is good with fine performances from Charlotte Rampling and Gabriel Byrne, but my scenes appear nowhere. My spectacular performance as a member of a small choir singing (and we really did sing) in church ended up on the cutting room floor! Ah well - it was a day's work and I got well paid, but I think the film might suffer a little for my not being in it!

1.0 out of 5 stars I, James, find this boring, 21 April 2013
Jim's Thoughts (Hampshire, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: I, Anna [DVD] (DVD)
From the synopsis, the film sounds quite interesting, and the fact that Gabriel Byrne (secret state, usual suspects) was in it, i thought to myself - I can't really go wrong with this one. How wrong was I, Anna?

The film didn't start well for me. First of all, I had to turn the volume up to about 50 because I couldn't hear what anyone was saying. Its like the audio was recorded a mile away - what's all that about?

Slight spolier:
The film seems to focus on the relationship between a policeman and a possible suspect in a murder, but its just done in the most boring way possible. The main actress just ends up trotting all over London whilst the policeman follows her - some of these places being huge blocks of depressing council blocks - not exactly London's finest landmarks.

So I got very bored after 10 mins wondering 'where is this film going exactly?', and you know when a film is not doing anything for you when you start thinking about what you are going to have for tea tomorrow.

Oh, and when I turned it off about half way through, the telly was blasting because I forgot to turn the volume down again - so watch that if you buy this, although you'd be mad to.

I, Anna [DVD]
I, Anna [DVD] by Barnaby Southcombe (DVD - 2013)