If you liked the previous films, this is equally as good. The family in the film, and boyfriend are all very likeable. The acting is first rate. You feel like you are watching a family made collection of videos. The child does a very impressive role in playing a creepy character. I found this film better than the first two, but the third one is still my favourite,
Published 3 months ago by D. keir

2.0 out of 5 stars WILL THE REAL HUNTER PLEASE STAND UP?
Published 20 months ago by The Movie Guy

2.0 out of 5 stars WILL THE REAL HUNTER PLEASE STAND UP?, 20 May 2013
This review is from: Paranormal Activity 4 (Theatrical and Extended Versions) [DVD] (DVD)
Unless you have the IQ of a turnip, you already know this series is fake. However, the producers in their wisdom have decided if they can cut off more heads with bad camera angles and implore worse sound they might still convince us of the reality of this film. If you go on U-Tube or watch the amateur submissions to some America's video TV show, you will see that we are better photographers than this series makes us out to be.

In the beginning, Hunter is kidnapped as an infant. We then jump to 5 years later. The film starts out mostly of a young male filming a teen female (Kathryn Newton). She has a younger brother Wyatt (Aiden Lovekamp). When Robbie (Brady Allen)the creepy young boy next door shows up with his imaginary friend weird things begin to happen. Alex, our teen girl allows the young man (Matt Shively) to set up cameras around the house to film the weird things that are going on and to cut off everyone's head. While weird things were caught on camera, they never went back to view the films which was the whole purpose of setting up the cameras in the first place.

Special effects, and by by "special" I mean ride the short bus special, included the chandelier moving, doors opening, chairs moving, covers coming off, and a bad levitation scene. No pool crawler getting out of the pool by itself.

This was by far the least of the series. If you were a big fan of the other three, you might find enjoyment in this one as this is upgraded to color. These films are cheap to make and pay for themselves in the opening weekend. Don't expect the franchise to go away anytime soon. Kathryn Newton did a good job in spite of the script and horrible camera shooting.

Parental Guide: F-bomb, C-blocking. No sex or nudity.

2.0 out of 5 stars Hmmm....time to stop now I think, 20 Oct. 2012
This review is from: Paranormal Actvity 4 [DVD] (DVD)
I have actually loved the Paranormal Activity series since seeing the unexpected hit back in 2009. The second film was a good continuation that was full of creepy moments and the third provided an excellent back story and was probably my favourite. So I was really looking forward to seeing where this forth entry would take us.

It is based 5 years after part 2 with a new family who live next door to series regular Katie who is possessed by the demon, she gets suddenly taken to hospital so they are left looking after her creepy "adopted" son Robbie. From here weird things start to happen and so more of the continuing story unfolds.

So why the average score? Well for a start, what made the previous 3 films so good for me was the subtle scary moments that really stuck in my head for days afterwards, giving me feeling of paranoia and really played on my mind when in the comfort of my own home. In this one the style seems to have all been forgot and they've got for quick scares and jump moments every couple of minutes that does get old pretty quickly. Another thing that made this not as good as the previous films is it is now becoming all too familiar so the shock value that we had before is lost it's effect so I didn't really find it very scary at all. The parents are also so oblivious to everything going on despite being constantly told by the daughter so this became a little ridiculous and annoying towards the second half of the film.

It's not all bad though. The lead characters (well the 2 teenagers at least) are quite convincing and were fun to watch. The use of modern technology such as the Xbox Kinect, Skype and camera phones were well used and were an interesting change to just camcorders and security cameras used in the previous films. The were a couple of moments that held the suspense and had me focussing on something only to be surprised by something else elsewhere on the screen, so misdirection was definitely a strong factor in this production.

I think 2 stars is a bit harsh as there were definitely some well done portions in the film and I can't say I didn't at least mildly enjoy it, but 3 stars is too high simply because of the cheap jumps as opposed to the building tension and so-so storyline, that I felt didn't really add anything to the overall storyline. I wouldn't say that this is necessarily a bad film but it is certainly a lot less effective and entertaining as the last 3. I'm glad I saw it but I really think that the writers and producers should really consider putting this one to bed now before fans of the series like myself just get bored with the whole thing and the first 3 films lose there cult status because of a string of average sequels that we are inevitably going to get. There's a lot of things left unexplained (I could list these but would be leaving spoilers) so there's no doubt going to be a Paranormal Activity 5 next October, I just won't get my hopes up too much with that one.

1.0 out of 5 stars Abnormal activity, 1 Mar. 2013
Loved the first 3, but what happened here? Slim link to the original story (which didn't need a further installment) and a no real scare scenario. And if anyone can explain the relevance, in context of the original story, of the final scene that would be good. A real and very disappointing cash in.

3.0 out of 5 stars Best Story line. Not scary at all though!, 3 Jan. 2015
Good film to watch once or twice but it is not all that scary just jumpy.

Out of all the 4 films in this series I rate this 'Number 3' because like the 3rd film this one is not scary and has EVEN LESS jump scares in it. But the story line does make up for this and probably has the best story line out of the 4 as well as the most likable characters in it

In some sort of a way I'am looking forward to 'Paranormal Activity: The Ghost Dimension' which is coming out on March the 13th as this film will be sort of different as it focuses on Ghosts not Toby (the Demon) and also it is rumored to be 3D which will be strange to see as this will be the only Horror Found Footage Genre Movie to be in 3D!

2.0 out of 5 stars Same old same old, 18 Aug. 2013
I bought this but I think that they are running out of ideas. It is definitely not as good as the others, especially the first one, and there are lots of these films out now. I wouldn't really recommend it.

3.0 out of 5 stars jumpy but not creepy, 8 Jan. 2015
I love the paranormal activity series. My favourite horror films despite some bad opinions I heard before watching them, I think the lack of graphics and things makes them more realistic. This one is one of my least favourites. Yes, it was really jumpy in the cinema. But it wasn't particularly scary up until the last 15 mins. The girl pisses me off. But it adds to the story a bit more which is good.

3.0 out of 5 stars Same as before! Disappointing!, 10 Aug. 2014
This review is from: Paranormal Activity 4 (Blu-ray)
Slightly disappointed with this 4th jnstalement, pretty much same as others just different actors, no story to explain what where and when this is going to!
No real scary bits, I watched this as the other 3 films where great, feel like a wasted opportunity to really make something of this franchise.
Hopefully if there is another they will actually do something with it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Creepier than the first two films, and as weird as the third., 26 Oct. 2014
D. keir "little big" (scotland) - See all my reviews

4.0 out of 5 stars weird, 14 May 2014
kind of the weirdest paranormal activity film made but kind of scary as well at some points but slightly boring

2.0 out of 5 stars dragging it out!, 20 Jan. 2014
This is by far the worst instalment of what I found to be a great series of films, its watchable but in no way compares to the quality of the previous 3.

Paranormal Activity 4 (Theatrical and Extended Versions) [DVD]