5.0 out of 5 stars Take Charge of your Inner APE
Electronic publishing has been the latest revolution in publishing, and it's another step in direction of democratizing and making more accessible all kinds of printed text. Unfortunately, despite many great strides forward, the actual publishing process still remains arcane and complex. However, over the past few years many new tools and services have sprung up that...
Published on 10 Dec. 2012 by Dr. Bojan Tunguz

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, but slanted at non-fiction
Aimed very much at non-fiction, so any fiction writers *note*. Having said which, it was still informative and I have put into practice some of what it suggested I do.
A good start point if, as myself, you're new to the whole circus.
I imagine in the end though, ones book will stand or fall on its own merits...
Published 17 months ago by Lava

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Stuff!, 12 Dec. 2012
This review is from: APE: Author, Publisher, Entrepreneur-How to Publish a Book (Kindle Edition)
I bought Kawasaki and Welch's "How To" guide because I needed some advice about how to upgrade my woeful marketing skills. The book has definitely helped me and, for no extra cost, has shown me everything a "How To" guide ought to be.

After labouring over being an author and a publisher with novels and role-playing games I have evolved my own approach to the titular A (Author) and P (Publisher). So being given tips on "How To" by the authors lead me into situations where I felt vindicated and situations where I point blank disagreed with the advice given.

The book is formatted to within an inch of its life with a swish font, nice use of drop caps, stylish bullet lists. This book has had time and attention lavished upon it in terms of making it a product.

The prescription for doing this is that it will drive people nuts if you don't. This is because the display will go wappy on certain devices and you will know nothing about it as you only previewed it on your e-reader and the e-reader of a close personal friend. People will view your completed tome on all manner of inappropriate devices and you need to make sure that you have as much control as possible over the way it will display.

I permitted myself a smirk as I read this advice off the screen of my Galaxy Ace, which rendered all the wise words of quoted sources in thin columns about five characters wide. The fact is that fancy formatting is always going to break something somewhere, so I have always adopted a formatting lite approach to my books. I commit the sin (according to APE) of marking dialogue with "dumb" quotes because in some places "smart" quotes render as little diamonds with query marks embedded in them or hollow rectangles of character doom.

My approach to the smoothest possible read is to make the typography as unfussy as possible while still rendering it readable. Indented paragraphs, font sizes, italics, and ASCII characters only need apply. This is possibly because I write fiction and to me the words are the medium in which the story is contained. If people are reading Chicago Shadows thinking: Hey, I like the way he's starting each section with a weighty drop cap! then, dear reader, I have invoked the wrath of the fail whale.

If I was writing a text book maybe I would need some advanced typographical-fu. I know that in the case of the RPGs I wrestled long and hard with LibreOffice and its PDF exporter. So, the advice to publishers is largely dictated by the needs of the text being published. In other words: sometimes it's different strokes for different folks.

In addition the overview of being an author runs you through the process of deciding whether you should even write a book that did cause my eyebrows to raise. After all, if you didn't even know that you definitely should write a book then why would you pick up a guide telling you how to publish one? Circular, indeed.

I have to confess that I didn't read the Author section in any great depth. It is too late for me. Maybe this volume will help to save a few but I have my corner of Hell pre-booked and warming nicely.

Where APE came into its own for me was in the 'E' section, which stands for Entrepreneur. Essentially I have spent a long time learning to write a book and a long time learning to publish a book but I have, to date, spent no time learning how to market a book.

I am 100% positive that a marketing expert would tell me I didn't necessarily "need" to follow all of Kawasaki and Welch's advice in the Entrepreneur section, much as I would advise authors and publishers that they didn't need some of the advice in the other sections. But the point is I don't have a handy marketing expert to advise me and having a concrete list of things to do is already a great comfort.

Don't get me wrong, the authors have managed to break the bad news to me that the release of Chicago Shadows 1-3 has been handled "wrong". I have missed out several things I "should" have done prior to release. What is comforting is the fact that I now know this stuff even if I didn't before I released my heart-pounding gritty cop thriller trilogy. Following up on the tips that I can in APE means I am one step closer to being able to tell people about my books properly in future.

So, if you know all this stuff and are reading APE to feel vindicated you may find that you're not always in agreement with Kawasaki and Welch. If, on the other hand, you are clueless about any of it then APE will give you a good solid wedge of practical advice that will support you through the production of your own self-published marvel. That is all anyone can really ask of a solid "How To" guide.

5.0 out of 5 stars A fantastic resource, 31 Jan. 2014
Most people think of publishing as one of two paths: the DIY self-publishing independent, or the big-publisher compromising 'sellout' route. This book advocates a Plan C in which you use both - starting with a self-publishing route to gain momentum, before getting the interest of a traditional publisher to take what you've done and run with it. It makes a lot of sense and it just one of the great things I took away from this - including practical tips on a good social media profile pic, great ways to engage with an audience and plenty more besides :) Highly recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars A great overview of book publishing for beginners, 30 Aug. 2014
Thomas "Amscutellata" (Portlaoise, Ireland) - See all my reviews
Thanks Guy and Shawn. I am about to embark on a self-publishing project. I have already written a draft of my book in Word having started work on it two years ago. After reading your book I now know what I should do next - for example knowing the importance of copy-editing and cover design. Before reading your book I did not know all the steps involved in publishing and was confused what to do next. Your book has given me the confidence to take the next step forward - Thanks!

4.0 out of 5 stars Insightful, 4 Feb. 2013
Having been exploring the publishing world (the rapidly changing publishing world) over the last 4 years (through traditional publishing and self publishing) I thoroughly enjoyed this book and the thought provoking insights it offers would be authors (and would be publishers).

The Lazy Winner: How to Do More With Less Effort and Succeed in Your Work and Personal Life Without Rushing Around Like a Headless Chicken or Putting in 100 Hour Weeks

5.0 out of 5 stars Comprehensively the best, 11 Mar. 2015
Very impressed. The most comprehensive self-publishing manual I've read. Even better that it is 'versioned', and updated. Only lacking in terms of some technical descriptions/hacks to get the most out of Kindle formatting.

This, along with the free resources on the site, is all you need you start publishing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Dire warnings of strife and hardship but made eminently do-able, 15 Dec. 2012
A. Shackcloth (Cambridge UK) - See all my reviews
I have just had the pleasure of reading the newly released book 'APE: How to Publish a Book', which sets out to acts as a, if not the, definitive guide book for all want-to-be self-publishers. Co-authored by Guy Kawasaki and Shawn Welch the book covers pretty much everything you will need to be aware of when wanting to learn how to successfully self-publish a book.

APE is an acronym for Author - Publisher - Entrepreneur. The book is divided into three separate parts, one for each of these, as Guy believes that to be a successful self-publisher, a writer must not only be an author, but also become a publisher and an entrepreneur.

At over 340 pages, the book is quite hefty. However, since it is a vast subject area that it is attempting to cover, containing a huge range of necessary new skills, then a book needs to be hefty to do it justice.

Guy and Shawn have not tried to dumb down what is involved in a project as large as learning how to self-publish your own book. Nor have they attempted to make it sound easy, indeed they mention many times about daunting issues with editing, media formats, marketing, finance and the authors own commitment. Despite all these they have successfully trodden a difficult line and instead of scaring tentative self-publishers away from the idea, they have made a mammoth task and steep learning curve seem eminently do-able.

They have achieved this by combining easy-to-read explanations, real world examples, generous links to good on-line resources and a judicious dose of humour. The book lays out a clear route through all the tasks of writing, editing, cover design and production, all the way to pricing, selling and marketing.

The book is crammed full of good tips on how to make your publishing life very much easier, and blunt warnings where it is far better to seek (and pay for) expert advice rather than producing a poor performing and inferior product.
Having recommended that you employ a professional it then explains how you may obtain free funding for these services with some good suggestions (hat-tip to Guy) about crowdsourcing some or all of your initial editing, research (non-fiction) and cover design, as well as crowdfunding the necessary professional editing services.

Although this book contains a wealth of information, it is impossible to cover absolutely everything due to the vast amount of individual tasks that are actually required to self-publish a book.
Simply put, all the tasks that are required to author a book, publish a book, and entrepreneurial tasks required to gain sales is beyond a mere 300+ pages. However, having said that, APE gives you all the necessary knowledge to not undertake a folly, to not make hideous mistakes, to not waste a very significant part of your lifetime to only learn how not to do something. Of the rest, the parts it either doesn't cover or only covers lightly, you are directed to external sources and relevant web links are provided.
The book is also supported by the apethebook.com website, which has free additional templates, files, calculators and other useful resources.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, deserves the effort, 13 July 2014
Kit MacLean (London, London United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This book is a realistic and thorough "how-to" guide, which essentially takes budding authors step-by-step through the self-publishing process. It covers paper books as well as ebooks. The authors are both successful authors and entrepreneurs and APE is basically the guide they would have liked to have had when they moved into self-publishing. When I wrote "deserves the effort" I meant that there is a lot of content in this book and therefore most people are going to need to read it several times. Thankfully the writing itself is clear and completely understandable. I'd say this book was cheap at twice the price!

5.0 out of 5 stars First-class info, 2 Jun. 2014
Emma Clark (London, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Don't publish your own book without reading this first! A great resource and a cheerleader for indie (artisanal) publishing. The authors hold your hand throughout and explain about everything in the confusing world of self-publishing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Publishing Primer, 9 May 2014
Guy Kawasaki provides a good primer on how to create, edit and publish your first book, without the need for a "traditional" publisher.

4.0 out of 5 stars Thank goodness this book is available to help anyone trying to self-publish, 6 April 2014
This book has really helped me in my effort to become an indie author. There is so much to figure out when you are trying to learn how to self-publish and this book has been one of my important guides to the process. I found out what to do, and what not to do, and I do wish I had read it earlier in my process of self-publishing, as I made some mistakes that could have been avoided from reading this book. It is packed with information, and I don't think that I am going to apply everything suggested in this book, but I have picked up many tips that I can use. I did mostly skip over the section about formatting, as this is a task that I decided to turn to an expert for.