on 12 February 2014
So many bizarre and not very helpful reviews of this disc - not sure why!
Steven Osborne is a thoughtful and compelling pianist. As he shows in both Pictures and the Prokofiev pieces, he has plenty of technique to spare, but what makes this recording special is its range and subtlety. In Pictures from an Exhibition he brings out the delicacy, with gorgeous sonorities, as well as the drama. Osborne is a great story-teller, which is just what this music needs.
The Prokofiev miniatures are also played with superbly vivid characterisation. With Steven Osborne you feel inside the music, drawn into it and held there.
This recording understandably won a Gramophone Award in 2013.
Recommended.
on 12 March 2013
This is another of the excellent performances by Steven Osborne. His touch and interpretation are, as ever, delicate and telling.
His maturity has developed and he is now a superb performer and whenever he is playing within range I go to hear him.
Well worth buying.
Jeff McLachlan
0Comment2 of 8 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 5 April 2013
Steven Osborne is an inspirational Scottish pianist - wonderful touch which brings great life to this piece of music. Excellent recording to boot!
0Comment2 of 9 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 3 March 2013
I bought this CD because of Prokofiev spectacular solo piano works. The Visions fugitives are more or less known, Les Sarcasms are less known. As for me I prefer Les Sarcasms which seems to me to be more spectacular. I had already heard the Visions fugitives, bur never Les Sarcasmes. Recently a pianist played a bis consisting in the Sarcasmes: I was very impressed. It was actually better than good: outstanding.
Those 2 works are very demanding for the pianist.
0Comment3 of 14 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 12 April 2013
I chose this rating because it was the best price I could find, it arrived in good time and was the gift I was looking for for a friend's birthday.
0Comment1 of 9 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 3 May 2013
..Outstanding. I would reccomend it,but iam in a very small majority. The performer is excellent and the Prokofief music is very different.
0Comment1 of 10 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 28 May 2013
The performance of Pictures at an Exhibition is quite outstanding - must be among the very best now available on CD
0Comment0 of 7 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse