‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Christmas Deliverance (A Novella) - Amanda Egan, 2 Dec. 2012
This review is from: Christmas Deliverance (a Novella) (Kindle Edition)
By jove, Amanda Egan has done it again! Drawing the reader in, straight away! The Willoughby family, like many families, are not devoid of their own individual problems. Before the siblings' descend on their mum, Maggie, for Christmas, each of their story is told, and their characteristic/trait is revealed. Now, I'm not sure whether Amanda's 'Novella' is intended to be humourous, but, I couldn't stop laughing at the way she potrayes one of the siblings! A lovely Novella, with some surprises, capturing the essence of Christmas. Highly recommended!
Thanks Amanda for another great read! I simply adore your work!

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly recommended, 9 Dec. 2012
ElaineG (uk) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Christmas Deliverance (a Novella) (Kindle Edition)
This is a wonderfully written novella about a family gathering to spend Christmas together. Whilst on the surface, everything seems quite normal, the first chapters are told alternately from the viewpoints of each member of the family, and we soon realise that each has something that they are trying to hide from the others. This is a family that really does need a miracle if Christmas is to be a success.

The story flowed fluidly and I was very quickly hooked up in the characters and their individual dramas. They are all very realistic and we see their flaws as well as their virtues throughout the story.

It is a nice, cosy heartwarming story but with a gritty edge to it - highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars A lovely Christmas read, 29 Dec. 2013
This review is from: Christmas Deliverance (a Novella) (Kindle Edition)
In the run up to Christmas things were a bit hectic and I didn't think I could focus on starting a new novel, therefore this was perfect. Some interesting characters and I was hooked immediately.

5.0 out of 5 stars Treat Yourself To This Xmas Read, 8 May 2013
This review is from: Christmas Deliverance (a Novella) (Kindle Edition)
Why have I not read this author's work before? For I already have a couple of her books sitting on my 'to read' list and just never got around to them until this one. And that's only because it's Christmas and I'm currently reading through my festive tales at the moment, so without this incentive to pick up Christmas Deliverance then I might have missed out on finding a new author to me that I can really relate to in terms of her brilliant 'down to earth' writing style. I thought the premise of the novella was excellent, about a family coming together over the holiday period but not really knowing what is going on with each of their lives beforehand and then totally jumping to the wrong conclusions until all is revealed and secrets told and renewed bonds are made. It was well laid-out in the way that it gave us the characters individual stories in the buildup before going home to Mum, where one almighty misunderstanding takes place that affects everyone involved for different reasons. I agree with other reviewers who've expressed a wish that this was a full-length novel instead of being a shorter piece because I didn't want it to end so soon and would dearly love to read about this family of characters again, in perhaps a future work if the author chooses to write it then I will read it. And you can bet that I will be sure to read those other books by Amanda Egan now that I know what a talented writer she is.

4.0 out of 5 stars Sweet Story, 3 May 2013
This review is from: Christmas Deliverance (a Novella) (Kindle Edition)
The story is about the Willoughby family - namely the mother Maggie, and the four grown up children, Lucy, Sophie, Giles and Oscar. The first half of the book gives background information about the five main characters and is written in the first person viewpoint of each of the characters in turn. The second half is written in the third person.

Maggie is in her twilight years. Her four children have been under the impression she's in need of care and they're all going over the reasons why they can't be the one to move in with her and care for her. Each of the grown up children is selfish in some way, whether it's materialistic tendencies, being over-ambitious and greedy or just plain self-centred. They're not unlikeable though, and I could identify with some of their failings or liken them to someone I know. The novel is centred around a surprise delivery on Christmas Eve which will change their lives.

It is a feel good story, just as a Christmas story should be. It's funny in parts and heartwarming in others. It also has its sad moments. I had a lump in my throat when Giles was telling his story. As selfish as he was, his story, to me, was the most tragic.

No spoilers here. Just a recommendation to buy the book. It was an easy read, perfect for a snowy winter afternoon - before or after Christmas.

The only criticism I have is that the story had the potential to be so much more than just a novella. There were unanswered questions, such as why did Ivy do what she did? Who was Holly's mother? And how did things turn out with Lucy and Phil? Did she ever tell him her secret? I think Amanda has sold herself short with this. It could have easily been a full length novel.

The last 15% of the book is chapter 1 of Amanda's latest full length novel, Stilettos and Stubble. I have to admit I didn't read it. I'm planning to buy the novel anyway, so there was no point. It was a clever marketing idea but I was surprised that Christmas Deliverance wasn't longer and I was disappointed to reach the end at only 85%.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 29 April 2013
This review is from: Christmas Deliverance (a Novella) (Kindle Edition)
Just read Christmas Deliverance, and what a lovely Christmas novel that tells the story of a mum and her four children and their different lives, hopes, dreams and fears. So well told you could picture them coping with their individual struggles with relationhips and careers. Another great read by Amanda Egan. Hope there is a sequel.

5.0 out of 5 stars Stocking filler that will keep you quiet as you just cant put it down, 16 Feb. 2013
This review is from: Christmas Deliverance (a Novella) (Kindle Edition)
Short but very action packed story of a hectic family in the lead up to Christmas and the actual celebrations themselves. Many twists and turns in the plot as the older children have their own perceived ideas on their widowed mum's needs in life. Does the fairy godmother wave her magic wand?? Once again Amanda Egan's cleverly written books has you living with the characters that you just cant put the book down - thankfully its short so you get to the end but at the same time wishing it was longer so you could stay with the Willoughby's to ensure they are all okay.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awww, 11 Feb. 2013
This review is from: Christmas Deliverance (a Novella) (Kindle Edition)
A real feel good funny dory. Heartfelt and soppy at times, a family like any other, with secrets and hidden agendas, which all come to head one Christmas day. And with all Christmas tales, a happy ending for all

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely story!, 29 Dec. 2012
This review is from: Christmas Deliverance (a Novella) (Kindle Edition)
What a wonderful story. I was hooked from the very beginning. When I had to put my Kindle down, I couldn't wait to pick it up again and get back to this lovely, dysfunctional family! The end had me smiling through happy tears! A very clever story from a very clever writer!

5.0 out of 5 stars Another fabulous Amanda Egan book, 27 Dec. 2012
This review is from: Christmas Deliverance (a Novella) (Kindle Edition)
This was a Christmas present to myself having received a gadget for Christmas to read kindle versions on. It immediately had me hooked early on Boxing Day, and by the time lunch was ready, I'd finished it. I was just so hooked into the story I couldn't put it down.

I've read both of the Mummy Misfit books, and have 'Completing the Puzzle' and 'Stilettos and Stubble' on standby.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Christmas Deliverance (a Novella)