5.0 out of 5 stars Thoroughly addictive!
I finished this book in one weekend. If I could have got away with ignoring the kids, not cutting the grass or being distracted by so-called 'friends' I would have finished it in one day.

Published on 16 Sept. 2009 by Mark Roberts

3.0 out of 5 stars A good read
I found this book intriguing. I needed to keep reading to find out what was going on. However it is also unsatisfactory as some of the stories are started and not finished e.g Greta and bratsky. All also it seems like the books not finished too as it finishes on a story you would want to know the end of.
Published 1 month ago by Miss J A Kennedy

5.0 out of 5 stars Thoroughly addictive!, 16 Sept. 2009

Books like this (sex, drugs and rock-and-roll) wouldn't normally appeal to me but I gave it a punt on the recommendation of a friend. Although the cover-art is rubbish; the Title is exceptionally faithful. It is a book that authoritatively places you in the voyeuristic position of being able to watch a journey under the promise of a 'train crash.' Not a Hollywood train crash that hits a wall and explodes in a huge ball of flame, but one where the wheels get loose, the driver more drunk and the passengers increasingly troublesome - you get to see it all in marvellous slow-motion detail. The inside knowledge of no-limits drugs made me occasionally wonder if Mark Dawson needed an excuse for some serious method-authoring research, yet it still 'added to' rather than 'distract from' the experience of reading this excellent book. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Spin City, 2 July 2001
I did not know much about the music industry before I read this, but now I do. A really good read, and shows the characters in stark relief. Usually, there is somebody you like or can relate to in a novel, but such is the colourful humour, and dark drugs culture, that all of charcters were vile, and ones you would not want to meet at a party! Inventive plot twists, and a book which I had to read asap, as it held my attention throughout. I look forward to Mark Dawson's next novel, and even a TAoFA part II, entitled perhaps "What ever happend to Jared, Spin & Alex?"

5.0 out of 5 stars Flash back city, 24 Jun. 2001
As a first novel this book came as a welcome surprise to an area of literature that has been somewhat dormant and formulaic. Mr Dawson conjures up a number of facinating characters most with dark secrets or foibles which carry the story along with great gusto.
The introduction of the e-mail fan Suzy is a particular delight and lends a novel edge to the story.
If you have any interest in the music industry or a liking for semi dark humour then read this. Great stuff!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Read this book., 18 Jan. 2004
An entralling read! Dawson has really put his all into this book. The character insight, plot development and the way it's written from various perspectives throughout is a refreshing change. You genuinely feel you are there, from the gritty London streets to the frentic oasis that is Vegas. I would highly recommend this book, it was a chore for me to put it down.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great story!, 8 Dec. 2003
R. Ramsay - See all my reviews
Excellent book - as someone interested in the music industry and rock n roll in general, the subject matter suited me perfectly! I enjoyed the way that each chapter is written from a different character's point of view, so that the story pieces together gradually but completely - and the ending was really good too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Made me decide not to be an international rockstar afterall, 4 Dec. 2012
This review is from: The Art of Falling Apart (Kindle Edition)
The Art of Falling Apart cleverly weaves together stories from the perspectives of friends, colleagues and hangers-on of a band intent on breaking America, and really nails how talent and personality that drives someone to success can be the same thing that sparks their downfall. Feels like you're in the heart of the chaos, and the more you read, the more chilling it gets.

A perceptive, clever read. Recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 27 Nov. 2014
This review is from: The Art of Falling Apart (Kindle Edition)
‘The Art of Falling Down’ is an extremely accomplished début novel by Mark Dawson. I bought it a couple of years’ ago, and for some reason it stayed unread on my Kindle during that time. I must confess that when I first started to read it I wondered why I had bought this book. I wasn’t sure about the subject matter (it’s a fast-paced story of the rise and fall of a rock band, ‘Dystopia’, and their manager, Alex) and I’m generally not keen on novels written in the present tense, which this is. However, because this is such a well written story, I couldn’t help but enjoy it. Mr Dawson shows a number of deft touches – for example, he might have been tempted to add an epilogue, setting out how things ended for the key characters - but the story is stronger and more enjoyable without it.

I shall be reading more of Mr Dawson’s work.

4.0 out of 5 stars A brilliant read!, 25 May 2001
By A Customer
I'd never heard of Mark Dawson before seeing this book but he's just made a big fan. The Art of Falling Apart is a brilliant read, telling the tale of a UK Band who travel to America for their first concert. The characters are beautifully drawn and the way the plot is slowly unwound is just brilliant. The life the band leads is predictably excessive and the death of one of them band is the cue for everything to start going wrong. There are big twists that take you completely by surprise and the ending is great, a real comeuppance for the villain of the piece. Some great writing too. Very highly recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars Getting better all the time, 11 Feb. 2015
This review is from: The Art of Falling Apart (Kindle Edition)
A fan of Mark Dawson's more re ent novels, I thought I'd read his much earlier first book. It has all of the vibrancy of writing I have come to expect from him with great dialogue and characterisations. Good story line, too, set as it is in the chaotic world of drugs and rock. But for some reason I was left with a feeling of incompleteness after it was finished, with questions unanswed forming in my head.
As a first novel this is certainly an accomplishment but the author has gone on to develop a .better, more fluid style without losing the urgent excitement first demonstrated here.

5.0 out of 5 stars Spin City, 2 July 2001