4.0 out of 5 stars Informative and important read
"Silent Trauma" by Judith Barrow touches a sensitive and important issue: drug prescriptions and their dangers in general as well as the effects of Stilboestrol (Diethystilbestrol) which used to be (falsely) prescribed to women to prevent miscarriages.
Published 14 months ago by Amazon Customer

2.0 out of 5 stars not my favorite
It was written fairly well. I just didn't like it. So I may not be the best judge as it is not the sort of book I read.
Published 12 months ago by Karen

4.0 out of 5 stars Informative and important read, 19 July 2013
This review is from: Silent Trauma (Paperback)
Well researched and detailed in its medical knowledge the book is an important work to raise awareness and help getting this knowledge into the right channels to prevent more damage and unnecessary suffering for future generations. The effects of the drug are likely to be passed on to the children and grandchildren of those women who took the drug and allegedly many doctors have not been trained in that awareness.
The story of the book follows a few women whose lives have been affected in different ways by the drug: A mother whose daughter killed herself when she is diagnosed with a cancer caused by the drug, an infertile woman whose husband leaves her and a few more sufferers who join them in their fight to bring forth changes in legislation and medical practice.
The book ends on a positive and inspirational note, so please persevere during the earlier and darker chapters during which our heroines are helpless and bitter. It is well worth in the end.

5.0 out of 5 stars Interesting, 10 Jun 2014
This review is from: Silent Trauma (Kindle Edition)
I new nothing about DES daughters until reading this. It is very well researched with more information if you want to research further. I wanted to know about the ladies lives. parts where very very sad but I also found it funny. Maybe the mens side of life could have had more coverage but I did understand the womens struggle.
My husband is reading this at the moment, then it will be passed on to all the family..a greater understanding all round.

2.0 out of 5 stars not my favorite, 27 Sep 2013
Karen (HAYWARDS HEATH, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Silent Trauma (Kindle Edition)

5.0 out of 5 stars An absorbing, moving book that turns tragedy into inspiration, 6 April 2013
Debbie Young "Debbie Young" (Gloucestershire, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Silent Trauma (Paperback)
I had not heard of DES, the drug at the heart of this novel, although in real life it devastated the lives not only of unborn babies but also of those babies' children. However, I was compelled to read it because it affected my generation, as did the better-known and equally disastrous drug thalidomide. My mother could easily have taken either of these drugs, so while reading of the protagonists' awful sufferings, I had at the back of my mind "There but for the grace of God go I."

It would be very easy for any story about such a terrible tragedy to fall into pathos, mawkishness or campaigning anger. Judith Barrow's novel is therefore all the stronger for its restraint and lack of sentimentality. While provoking a heart-rending account of the cruel havoc the drug has wreaked, the story impresses the reader with the huge dignity and bravery of those suffering from the drug's effects. The book also provides a convincing account of how powerful campaigns can grow from the tiniest of beginnings - and this book should be a significant part of the campaign for the victims of DES.

The only criticism I would make of it as a novel was the sparseness of the physical description of the various settings, characters' appearances etc. Although the characters are extremely well-drawn, their individual tragedies subtly unfolding as they get to know each other, I would have liked a little more colour and detail. For example, we are told a character gets into her Ford, but it would make a big difference whether it was a battered old rusting Cortina or a funky, bright pink Ka. It's only towards the end that we are told that one of the characters is extremely good-looking (according to another character at least). Although that might seem like a frivolous detail, it would have added another dimension to how this particular character has become who she now is. It's the sort of detail that might be added in at a late-stage edit, but I can completely understand why the author might have skipped that stage in her urgecy to get this story out there before readers and so to help the drug's victims.

To be honest, I'd hesitated before reading "Silent Trauma", wondering whether I'd find it too upsetting, and I nearly didn't make it past the devastating opening chapter, but ultimately it's life-affirming and uplifting - a brave, powerful and memorable book. I'm very glad I read it and I hope it makes a real difference to the victims of this terrible drug.

5.0 out of 5 stars An absorbing read, 24 Mar 2013
This review is from: Silent Trauma (Kindle Edition)
In "Silent Trauma" Judith Barrow offers a brave choice of subject matter, exploring how the lives of several women have been affected by a drug that their mothers took during pregnancy. This well-researched novel expertly weaves fact and fiction. The author portrays convincing characters that hook the reader into their lives, which unfold against the backdrop of their developing relationships with each other. This is thought-provoking literature - highly recommended.

J.J. Narberth

5.0 out of 5 stars BRILLIANT, 1 Mar 2013
This review is from: Silent Trauma (Kindle Edition)
The suitably named and skillfully written `Silent Trauma' is based upon the lives of four women who all have something in common. They have been brought together by their own experiences and the desire to raise awareness of the shocking consequences of the anti miscarriage drug DES.
It gives the reader an understanding of the guilt experienced by mothers who took the drug and the devastating health problems and trauma suffered by their children.
I found the book interesting, educational and it took me on an emotional roller coaster. I became so engaged in the story that I found it hard to put down as I felt a real connection to the characters portrayed.
A brilliant read and one I would definitely recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars A really good read!, 21 Feb 2013
This review is from: Silent Trauma (Kindle Edition)
Excellent for those who want to learn more about stilboestrol and the devastating consequences of the drug, but for those of you who just want a really good read this is also for you.
I don't consider myself a particularly shallow or uneducated person but I had never heard of this drug and the book is indeed an education. It is also funny, touching, moving, sad, poignant and real. The characters so beautifully drawn by Barrow are engaging and recognisable. The story leads us through an emotional journey and leaves us wanting more. Thoroughly enjoyed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 20 Feb 2013
This review is from: Silent Trauma (Kindle Edition)
I really enjoyed this book, not only is it a really well written novel, but it's also a really interesting look a drug I'm ashamed to say I'd never heard of before.
The author illustrates the tragic and far-reaching consequences of the drug DES, which was given to pregnant women, but it's also a testament to the strength of female friendship. I found myself caring deeply about these women and the unfair circumstances they found themselves in.
I would definitely recommend this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow! The prologue packs a punch!, 6 Jan 2013
S. Kilbey (Wales) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Silent Trauma (Kindle Edition)
And it's a powerful start to a deeply absorbing and fascinating read. I had no idea about this drug and so the book is a story, an education and a call for awareness; all woven beautifully together.
The careful research executed to identify all the issues surrounding this `time bomb' drug reflects right the way through the story. The characters are without exception, strong; going from the very warm to the most unsettling.

And so,so different from 'Pattern of Shadows', by the same author. It is admirable that she can' flex her pen' on such different topics like that.

An enjoyable read that stays with you.

5.0 out of 5 stars A thought provoking warning, 12 Dec 2012
Tony (West Wales) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Silent Trauma (Kindle Edition)
This thought provoking novel by Judith Barrow makes clever use of fictional characters to sensitively highlight complex issues surrounding the very real problems of a drug, prescribed to millions of women in the US, Australia and Europe.

Meticulously researched, Silent Trauma explores how this drug has since been found to have hidden dangers and serious side effects related to cancer and fertility problems for the daughters, and even grandchildren of the women who took it.

Silent Trauma