Format: Audio CD|Change

on 20 October 2013
What has already been said doesn't need much additional information.

BOA were un unknown band to me until I bought this 'box set'. O.K. - there's no great detail (as in liner / sleeve notes) but if it's music that you're after - then give this a shot - especially if you are a newcomer to BOA (as I was until buying this box set).

It's burned to my hard drive and is already overtaking the likes of The Allman Brothers, Lynyrd Skyrnyrd and ZZ Top as far as frequency of playing goes.

It has to be said - if you're not sure - then for the price of 5 albums - give this set a go. ☺ ♫ ☺ ♫ ☺
on 4 August 2013
A superb set indeed.
Pity I can't find Raunch and Roll at a sensible price !!.
Having said that though most of the tracks on Raunch and Roll ( Live ) are here in these pressings .
Anyway dust off your boots and fuel up your truck and enjoy.
on 26 March 2013
5 Albums, 2 of which have been out of print for some years. No thinking required....just buy them, lie back & relax to that Southern Sound.
on 9 September 2015
Individually these cds are very expensive to buy so getting the set for less than three pound per cd is a bargain.B.O.A are a mixture of swamp, country rock,jug and blues and while none of the pickers are virtuosos they more than make up for it with well crafted and excellently arranged solos.Of the five albums "Street Party" is the most consistent;the rest all have at least five very pleasing tracks on each.Each album is housed in a replica sleeve but there are no additional liner notes.
Wasn't sure about it then bought this on a whim, as I love that 'Southern' Rock sound etc. Great value boxset - 5 albums, 49 tracks, good sound quality, et al, presented in the familiar 'Original Album Series' packaging which consists of the album artwork replicated on miniaturised card sleeves and nothing else - but for around a tenner you can't complain. Some pleasing musicianship, decent backing vocals, mostly a good listen...

So what exactly is the cause of my discord?... Well, as another reviewer has already alluded to, lead vocalist Jim "Dandy" Mangrum is, shall we say, an acquired taste?.. Sounds like Popeye serenading Olive (although a virtuoso on the old washboard!) Still a cheerful sounding band however, so if you can get your head around *that* voice you should be OK. But don't go expecting the Allman Brothers though....
on 26 January 2016
For years and years, every time my dad got in my car, and I started to choose some music he asked me "have you got any Black Oak Arkansas!?". Of course, I did not, as I was not familiar with them.. a little before my time! So I bought it for him for Christmas! Now he can quit asking...(!) He was quite amused and pleased with my choice of present. Actually, I also do quite enjoy this style of music. Sort of a country/rock/folk mix. Nice.
on 28 May 2014
I highly recommend this item to anyone needing an introduction to Black Oak Arkansas.This is true Southern Rock,you can hear the joy and fun coming through the music.This is one of the few bands who truly sound as though they are enjoying themselves. if you like this look out for their recently released comeback album, you will love it.
on 23 April 2014
I bought this one completely on spec, hoping it would be like the Allman Brothers. Liked much of the music but unfortunately I couldn't get past the vocals. The singer had a tendency to be too nasal for me, and the more I tried to get through the albums the more I found he started to sound a like a parody of this sort of vocal style. Sorry to all Black Oak fans for my shortcomings!
on 4 March 2016
Excellent value.Where else can you buy these 5 albums for around £10?
on 13 November 2014
Brilliant and great value.