5.0 out of 5 stars This book has changed my life
Published on 29 Mar. 2011 by alexi

3.0 out of 5 stars OK but not for me
This would be a good book if you are one of those women who have a wardrobe full of handbags and high-heeled shoes. I am not one of those women, so this book contained little of interest to me.
Published 2 months ago by Wanda Hempnettle

5.0 out of 5 stars This book has changed my life, 29 Mar. 2011
This review is from: Sheconomics (Paperback)
I wish this book was around when I was 17 and starting to take control of my finances ( although control is probably the wrong word). I might have resisted overspending at university and ending up in huge debt which then set me on my back foot at the start of my working life. Reading this book was like a revelation, I could hear my own experiences in the voices of many of the women. I think that the authors have an amazing grasp on how women see money and spending, and somehow understanding that there is a reason that I behaved in a certain way made it much easier to change what I was doing. I now get a buzz from saving rather than spending, and I read the money sections in papers which I used to put to the bottom of the pile as they seemed as if they were written in a foreign language. I feel empowered and excited about my relationship with money, and the best thing is that I will get to pass on this knowledge to my 2 daughters when the time comes. I'm going to buy them both a copy!

5.0 out of 5 stars Good practical advice, 9 Dec. 2009
This review is from: Sheconomics (Paperback)
I bought this book a couple of months ago now when I was having a bit of a spending spree on books! I've always been fairly in control of my finances but this book offered some good pratical advice and is written in a very informative yet humourous and non-patronising way. It motivated me to search online for an ISA (which I've since opened), a new bank account, and other savings options, I've also reviewed my credit card to see if there's a better option out there. In many ways it's quite an empowering feeling you get after reading this, and I've also since set up a pension through work. I'm now considering passing it on to some friends who I think need some helpful tips.

5.0 out of 5 stars What is it about women and money?, 3 Aug. 2010
This review is from: Sheconomics (Paperback)
Or perhaps everyone and money? As this book says, 'Around 3.8 million people in the UK say money worries have kept them off work, a staggering 10.8 million blame money for their relationship problems and almost 20 per cent of people from either sex with money concerns complain of a loss of libido.'
Strangely that was what I needed to read. This is an inspiring book for people like me - and I know now there are lots of us - who switch off for some reason when faced with money concerns. The mixture of easy to read case studies, proper research and manageable action lists worked well for me, as did the movement from looking at the emotions around money to the practical solutions. I particularly liked the 'Do Something Different' sections - I'm actually excited by the one which suggests you think of a target sum of money you want to make in a week and then suggests ways of getting there, because I can see how it can help change my mind set. I've now set my financial goals, and I'm thinking hard about the financial lessons I'm teaching my kids.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wish I'd read it years ago!, 6 April 2010
This review is from: Sheconomics (Paperback)
I loved this book. It is well written and easy to read. Obviously aimed at the female reader but I'm sure there are a few men who could use some tips from this too. I have already put many of the suggestions into practice, and it has really opened my eyes to the merits of paying off the mortgage and living as debt-free as possible. I only wish I could have read this book years ago as I might have been rich by now! A brilliant gift for a student, and should be given to every young female with their first pay cheque! The accompanying website is also worth a look. Money very well-spent as it will save me a fortune in the long-run. I feel my finances are already more organised than ever before, and they can only get better now that I know not to bury my head in the sand over debt and monthly budgeting.

5.0 out of 5 stars Not Pink And Fluffy!, 22 Oct. 2010
This review is from: Sheconomics (Paperback)
Sheconomics is a great book!

Initially I baulked at the idea of a book about finance written for women, having visions of being patronised but I need not have worried. I know men and women view life differently so why not money too! It's co written by Professor Karen Pine and Simone Gnesson, and published by Headline.

Take Control
If you ever feel your spending is not totally within your control this book will help you. If you get a huge pleasure from buying things you don't need, followed by a huge rush of guilt when the bills come in, this book is for you. And if you'd just like to take a fresh look at how you manage your money, this book is for you!

Laws of Sheconomics
The authors highlight several laws of Sheconmics. Each `law' is a chapter heading complete with examples, and exercises, and very practical advice. The `laws' are:

Take Emotional Control
Go Beyond Beliefs
Spend with Power
Have Goals
Look Debt in the Face
Share Financial Intimacies
Know Tomorrow Comes
Positive Thinking About Money
Pine and Gnesson do not advise that simply thinking about earning loads of money will make you attract it (if they did I wouldn't be reviewing them here!); however, they do encourage you to look at what your thinking is about money, and to acknowledge that you may be holding onto some very self limiting negative beliefs about money

Here's an example from the book:

Having talked about the limiting beliefs we can hold, the authors encourage their readers to adopt some positive ones. This is their Ten Top Positive Sheconomic Beliefs

Money matters as much as health or relationships in my life
I deserve to have the financial security and lifestyle I want
There's enough money to go round
I create the results in my life
I'm grateful for the money that flows into my life
I can increase my knowledge about money and finance
I'm a money magnet
It's easier to make money than to spend it
I can be well off and a good person at the same time
Now these may not be your ideal top ten, which the author's acknowledge, but reading this chapter will help you to think about the attitudes you do hold, and if changing them would be helpful to you.

Breaking a Taboo
In the UK we are generally very diffident when talking about money. In fact, we rarely do. It's refreshing to pick up a well written book that tackles this topic head on, written with a female audience in mind, and that leaves you feeling more in control! I thoroughly recommend this book.

For more book reviews of books of interest to women, go to [...]

5.0 out of 5 stars Every girl should have one!, 26 April 2013
This review is from: Sheconomics (Paperback)
I read 'Sheconomics' when both my business and personal finances couldn't get worse! I knew I had to change something but just couldn't figure out how! I didn't have very high expectations - however when the book arrived, I read it within 48 hours and immediately starting making plans to change my financial life. Easy to read, it resonated with me on a personal and financial level and made me realise that I wasn't the only woman out there making mistakes and forced me to reflect on my own emotional relationship with money. 6 months ago I was heavily in debt with my business and had numerous credit cards run to the max. Now I am completely debt free and planning to build a secure financial future and have thought about a pension for the first time in my life. The book is perfect for every type of woman and I would give it to every 18year old adult female about to start her life! in fact I have bought extra copies to give as gifts to nieces, friends and colleagues! Aged 41 I wish I had read this book 20 years ago and avoided some of the financial and emotional pitfalls. Inspired, I actually contacted the author Simonne to find out how much she would charge and to have a slightly more in-depth and intense approach. Although her fee seemed high at first, it's the best few hundred pounds I have ever spent and less than a designer handbag! I paid off huge debt and built my business and belief in myself in a very small space of time. I am now exploring ISA's my first mortgage and expanding my portfolio. Something I never thought I would even think about.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic book - everyone woman should own a copy!, 4 Jan. 2012
This review is from: Sheconomics (Paperback)
I've only had this book for about 2 weeks, but I've read it twice, and made changes to my finances already. I feel like the book was written by someone who knew me and completely understood my attitude to money. I'm looking forward to my next pay day, not because I want to buy something new, but because I can't wait to start to my new budget and pay off my credit card. Honestly considering buying a copy for all my female friends and family members! Excellent book, I would recommend it to anyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars Taking power of the pound £1, 12 Jun. 2010
This review is from: Sheconomics (Paperback)
Read Sheconomics in one sitting and was very impressed with content, tips and action plans. Since taking on a hefty mortgage back in 2008, this naturally forced me into reviewing finances and putting some strategies in place. It's nice to see that so far so good, and that the book contains some further food for thought in terms of planning for a more financially secure future. Let's hope there's a follow on book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent advice all the way through the book, 24 Jan. 2010
Sylvette (London, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sheconomics (Paperback)
Not only did I learn a lot from this book but it was a pleasure to read it. No jargon there! It helped me find my financial goals and focus on the ways to achieve them. Now I know what I want and how to attain it. All from reading this book! And I am doing pretty well! It's amazing what Sheconomics can do to you. I RECOMMEND it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for almost everyone I know, 13 Feb. 2014
Purple Sky (Yorkshire, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sheconomics (Paperback)
Having always been quite on top of my money, I wasn't really sure what this book would offer. But it intimated that there was information on investments and financial products, about which I knew very little.

So I read the book over the course of a week. And then twice more between then and now. It approached the subject of money from an angle I had not anticipated. It simply suggested that you think of money as a tool, and not a means in itself. So I now have a series of goals that are going to make it much easier to deny myself some of the fripperies that have crept in of late.

As ever in these books, there was a large section on debt. It was broken down well, dealing in a non-judgemental way with all the various forms of debt, and several solutions for getting out of debt sooner rather than later. It was pretty useless to me, because I have avoided debt apart from my mortgage and student loans. But now, I have a plan, even to pay those off ASAP.

It has also convinced me to start my pension with a neat demonstration of the value of compound interest. I was aware of the dangers in relation to debt, but I found it enlightening to see the flipside for once.

I used this in conjunction with the money advice service. It has many of the calculators mentioned in the book that take all the energy out of figuring out interest and has a nifty budget planner - the best one I've ever seen.

The best bit for me, was how down-to-earth and non-technical it was. A real pleasure to read, not something I can say for the other financial books I've ever read. The accompanying website has some good info on it too

Sheconomics