5.0 out of 5 stars Comfortable mat.
The 'self-inflating' part does require some slight assistance, a few extra puffs gives it a little more 'body' and improves the effect.
Saying that, it is very comfortable and makes a big difference compared to sleeping straight on the ground.
Published 14 months ago by SonicScot

2.0 out of 5 stars Leaks air
The mattress itself is not bad, but I had to patch it right out of the box because was leaking air. After using it one day in my room there was another leak and had to patch it again, and after storing it for a few days and using it again... Guess what: third patching.
Published 2 months ago by David Menendez

5.0 out of 5 stars Comfortable mat., 20 Jun 2013
It's not an easy job getting it back into the carry bag, it needs to be rolled up VERY tightly to fit and requires strong hands to do it.
Glad I bought it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Self inflating mattress, 30 April 2013
Herts_Mum "SG" (Hertfordshire, UK) - See all my reviews
Bought this for scout trip. Initially it didn't self inflate but having watched a YouTube video, this is quite common. Self- inflating mattresses should be stored flat not rolled (according to the clip) to optimise self inflation so we left it flat for a couple of days and now it is self inflating very well.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow!, 23 April 2014
D Bradshaw (Flintshire) - See all my reviews
I didn't want to believe it until I received it but this has to be the bargain of the year so far! I've spent so many hours, even days looking for a self inflating mat with decent thickness, length and good quality to it for a reasonable price and this has to win all the prizes for speed of delivery, quality of item and amazing price!! It arrived earlier today so I have it in the bedroom at present all inflated and it will stay like that for 24 hours so I can hopefully get the best out of it when inflating it in future. I let it inflate on its own for 15 minutes which it did to quite a good thickness, but topped it up with 5 puffs. So far I have spent a little time lying on it but obviously not yet put it to use in the tent. I can tell though that I'm going to have a great sleep on it as it really is 6cm thick (I measured it) so when turning over your elbows, shoulders etc shouldn't thud on the ground. It will be great for insulation from the cold also. The only thing I can find the remotest little gripe about (not a gripe really) is the surface is quite slippy so the sleeping bag may slide around a bit but nothing major. I recently bought an Outwell mat with almost the same dimensions as this one but for a lot more and the only bit about it that is better than this mat is that the Outwell one has a better non slip surface. Otherwise, this mat is just amazing for the price so I had to get this too! I may even buy another as you can never get enough bargains! To pack away simply open the valve, let as much air out as possible and then with the valve still open start folding the mat towards the valve end in small sections. When you reach the valve end close it and unfold the mat to its full length again. This time, roll the mat rather than fold towards the valve end and when around halfway there open the valve and keep rolling until you reach the end. Kneel on the rolled mat to get the excess air out then close the valve. The mat should now be nicely rolled up and once the elastic straps are on should fit perfectly in the bag. Other SIM's I've had in the past, especially the thicker ones, always pack away fine if you use this method. Thanks Ultrasport, I'm a very happy bunny!!

5th August 2014
This is an add on to my review above as since buying the mats in April I've had to return both due to them becoming defective. They had only been used half a dozen times max in the last couple of months but I noticed one of the mats losing air after only an hour of being fully inflated. Even if you topped it up it lost air again within the hour. The valve also wouldn't close off so it kept self inflating to a point after rolling it up to pack away. The second mat lost air overnight but as both mats were the 6cm ones and mainly being used as a 'topper' for a folding campbed I was still able to get some comfort from them even when deflated. However as they were not performing in the way they should I contacted Ultrasport. Initially they said they'd replace them but then I received an email saying Amazon had all their mats and no new stock was due to be delivered until October so they told me to contact Amazon instead which I did. Thankfully Amazon were great and replacement mats were delivered within 2 days of my request to them at no cost to myself. I'm hoping the new ones last longer than the previous ones as I'm quite annoyed they only got used for a very short time before developing faults. I will see how things go and report back in a few months as have quite a few camping trips ahead!

5.0 out of 5 stars Grey Camper finds comfort., 14 Sep 2013
We have been using sleep mats but wanted to upgrade for a bit more comfort. I originally purchased the 6cm version for myself but got the 10cm version for my wife. On reflection I should have go this one for myself as well.
Downside: it is heavy and quite a struggle to role up. Also, when you roll it out it does self inflate but needs topping up which, because of the volume takes a lot of puff. It is expensive but it is very good quality.
Upside: it is a really good piece of kit, plenty long enough for my 6' 1'' frame and I expect it to last for years. It is good enough for house guests as an additional sleeping pad.

Conclusion; if you are a car camper and want the comfort then this is worth a look. I would certainly buy it again.

4.0 out of 5 stars Quick to inflate, a devil to deflate, 16 Jun 2013
The 10 cm version scores highly on the most important attribute, comfort, being comparable to a regular but quite firm mattress. I slept soundly on this mat, which I don't do on a foam mat or an inflatable mattress. The non-slip finish makes it a bit more stable than a cheap inflatable, so if you don't move around too much you won't slide off. It looks reasonably robust, it's very light, and it self-inflates in seconds. The valve doesn't leak at all during a night's sleep. When folded, it's not much bigger than a foam mat, which is surprising given its generous dimensions.

The only drawback, and I guess it's the same with all self-inflatables, is that it's hard work to deflate. This is the only reason for withholding one rating star. If you have hands like bunches of bananas you should be fine, but having small hands I struggle to roll it tightly enough to expel all the air. I found that the best technique is to deflate it in stages. First roll as tightly as you can without exhausting yourself, then close the valve, unroll and roll again. The second time will be easier because the mat is now thinner. When you get near the end of the second rolling, the end of the mat will start to bulge with the last bit of trapped air, so open the valve to let the air out. Repeat until the mat is thin enough for your liking. On a good day I can get it back into the stuff sack, but sometimes I have to give up and rely on just the elastic straps that are supplied.

4.0 out of 5 stars Comfortable but a bit slippy, 3 Aug 2013
I need a comfortable, supportive surface to lie on when I go camping. A roll mat simply won't suffice. I've generally used airbeds in the past, but these have the disadvantages of being somewhat bulky and having a tendency to deflate. This self-inflating mat (the 6cm depth version) was rather bulkier than I anticipated so it didn't really improve on an airbed in that respect (it rolls up like a roll mat, but is rather large and solid) but it does do away with the need to take a pump. I found it self-inflated quite well and just needed a couple of added breaths to make it comfortably inflated. It also stayed inflated throughout a ten day camping trip.

However, sleeping sideways on to a slight slope I found I was constantly having to pull myself back onto the mat throughout the night, as the surface is quite shiny. Perhaps my sleeping bag was also on the slippy side, but compared to my friend's self-inflating mat, the surface material on this offers no grip. It is a more generous size than my friend's mat, which I need at 1.78m (5' 10") tall and was available in various thicknesses - I opted for the 6cm version as I felt 3cm (like my friend's mat) wouldn't be supportive enough but 10cm might be very bulky. I couldn't feel the ground through this mat and I had none of the back discomfort I would have experienced with a roll mat.

It is quite hard work to deflate and get back into its bag, although it does also come with a couple of elastic 'bands' to keep it rolled up, which you could opt to use instead of fighting with the bag. To deflate it, I rolled the mat once and then closed the valve. I then rolled it again and opened the vlave towards the end to let the air out. I repeated this second roll (valve closed) once more and was able to get it into its bands and back into the bag.

The valve is easy to open and close (you turn it, by hand) and the mat also comes with a small piece of replacement fabric and tube of glue for repairs, should you manage to puncture your mat

Overall ratings

Comfort: 5/5
Self-inflating: 4/5
Packing/transporting: 3/5
Surface covering: 2/5

Overall, that works out at 3.5/5 which I've rounded up to 4, as it was very comfortable, inflated easily, and I will definitely be using it again.

2.0 out of 5 stars Leaks air, 20 Jun 2014
I have to say that when it works and retains the air is pretty comfortable for this kind of mattress.

1.0 out of 5 stars No customer service!, 15 July 2014
G. Adarve "G Adarve" (UK) - See all my reviews
The mattress is ok and comfortable. The problem I had was with the valve, it inflates fine and once you lie down or put pressure the valve slowly let's the air out. You can tighten it but it's never enough to stop the air escaping.

I also had to patch it after the first use, it wasn't punctured, the material seemed to be worn out.

I tried to contact Ultrasport many times by emailing them directly and by using the contact form in their website and have had no response and it's been four months now.

So if you are lucky you'll get a mattress with no issues, but if you need to contact Ultrasport, it's highly unlikely you'll get any help from them.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for camping., 12 May 2014
We have always used blow up beds in the past when we have been camping, and have always found them to be uncomfortable, needing a couple of nights to get used to. This mat is something completely different. It feels like you are lying on a proper mattress, amazing since it is nowhere near as thick as a normal mattress. You get the support you need, together with the insulation from the cold ground, without the"Rock and Roll" of the blow up beds.

5.0 out of 5 stars Far more comfortable than you'd expect, 23 Jun 2013
Leigh (London, UK) - See all my reviews
I opted to buy one of these as opposed to an airbed due to the extra insulation. I was initially somewhat skeptical that a 10cm inflated mat would be comfortable, and yet it was extraordinarily comfy (and warm!) for three nights of camping, although it's probably worth mentioning that I prefer a firm mattress, generally. It inflates itself very quickly (less than ten minutes), and unlike some other reviewers, I had no issues inflating it for the first time. Every morning I re-inflated it a little, as it did lose a bit of air overnight, but nothing significant. Deflating it was simple too, although, like others, I've not been able to return it to its carry bag, as I can quite roll it up tight enough. However, it comes with two broad elastic bands which keep it rolled up so the bag isn't really necessary. I was expecting to have a stiff back for my entire trip and yet I woke up every morning feeling great. This mat would also be just fine as a guest mattress at home.