on 25 August 2014
Bought three of these for a camping trip that we have just returned from where we used them for 8 nights.
Overall very pleased with how they performed. No leaks or problems.

I measured the size as 196.5 x 63.5 x 5.6 cm. This is ignoring the seams which might account for the difference to the quoted specs.
Still a nice improvement over other beds, especially the extra thickness when taking into account the price.

As others have said takes a little while to fully inflate/relax but no more than 30 mins or so.
Personally I prefer not to blow extra air in although opinions varied in my group.
With no extra air added it will bottom out when being sat on however when you lie down it won't bottom out and is a bit softer.

I read some comments about getting these back in to the bag after use and thought it worth repeating someone else's advice on one of the reviews.

Open the valve.
Fold the bed in half and then half again.
Sit on the bed until the air stops escaping.
Close the valve.
Open out the bed and start rolling it up. I roll tightly and kneel on the rolled up bit between rolls.
When half way rolled, open the valve and continue to roll.
Close the valve when finished.

Job done! Goes in the bag with loads of space to spare.
on 30 April 2013
Bought this for scout trip. Initially it didn't self inflate but having watched a YouTube video, this is quite common. Self- inflating mattresses should be stored flat not rolled (according to the clip) to optimise self inflation so we left it flat for a couple of days and now it is self inflating very well.
on 8 November 2015
Is it more comfortable than the floor?

Does it fit in the boot of your car so when you go to a mates who lives in house share and sofa sucks arse you don't get back pain?
Yes, yes it does.

Can it fit taller people?
I am 6'3 and I fit on it completely fine.

I would point out like a lot of camping utilities fitting it back into it's bag can be difficult without the right technique.
1. Fold in half and sit on it
2. Fold again and sit on it
3. Fold again and sit on it
4. Lay flat and quickly roll bottom end tightly 2 to 3 times
5. Kneel on folded area.
6. Repeat 4 - 5 until air free
on 14 September 2013
We have been using sleep mats but wanted to upgrade for a bit more comfort. I originally purchased the 6cm version for myself but got the 10cm version for my wife. On reflection I should have go this one for myself as well.
Downside: it is heavy and quite a struggle to role up. Also, when you roll it out it does self inflate but needs topping up which, because of the volume takes a lot of puff. It is expensive but it is very good quality.
Upside: it is a really good piece of kit, plenty long enough for my 6' 1'' frame and I expect it to last for years. It is good enough for house guests as an additional sleeping pad.

Conclusion; if you are a car camper and want the comfort then this is worth a look. I would certainly buy it again.
on 20 June 2013
The 'self-inflating' part does require some slight assistance, a few extra puffs gives it a little more 'body' and improves the effect.
Saying that, it is very comfortable and makes a big difference compared to sleeping straight on the ground.
It's not an easy job getting it back into the carry bag, it needs to be rolled up VERY tightly to fit and requires strong hands to do it.
Glad I bought it.
on 16 June 2013
The 10 cm version scores highly on the most important attribute, comfort, being comparable to a regular but quite firm mattress. I slept soundly on this mat, which I don't do on a foam mat or an inflatable mattress. The non-slip finish makes it a bit more stable than a cheap inflatable, so if you don't move around too much you won't slide off. It looks reasonably robust, it's very light, and it self-inflates in seconds. The valve doesn't leak at all during a night's sleep. When folded, it's not much bigger than a foam mat, which is surprising given its generous dimensions.

The only drawback, and I guess it's the same with all self-inflatables, is that it's hard work to deflate. This is the only reason for withholding one rating star. If you have hands like bunches of bananas you should be fine, but having small hands I struggle to roll it tightly enough to expel all the air. I found that the best technique is to deflate it in stages. First roll as tightly as you can without exhausting yourself, then close the valve, unroll and roll again. The second time will be easier because the mat is now thinner. When you get near the end of the second rolling, the end of the mat will start to bulge with the last bit of trapped air, so open the valve to let the air out. Repeat until the mat is thin enough for your liking. On a good day I can get it back into the stuff sack, but sometimes I have to give up and rely on just the elastic straps that are supplied.
on 3 August 2013
I need a comfortable, supportive surface to lie on when I go camping. A roll mat simply won't suffice. I've generally used airbeds in the past, but these have the disadvantages of being somewhat bulky and having a tendency to deflate. This self-inflating mat (the 6cm depth version) was rather bulkier than I anticipated so it didn't really improve on an airbed in that respect (it rolls up like a roll mat, but is rather large and solid) but it does do away with the need to take a pump. I found it self-inflated quite well and just needed a couple of added breaths to make it comfortably inflated. It also stayed inflated throughout a ten day camping trip.

However, sleeping sideways on to a slight slope I found I was constantly having to pull myself back onto the mat throughout the night, as the surface is quite shiny. Perhaps my sleeping bag was also on the slippy side, but compared to my friend's self-inflating mat, the surface material on this offers no grip. It is a more generous size than my friend's mat, which I need at 1.78m (5' 10") tall and was available in various thicknesses - I opted for the 6cm version as I felt 3cm (like my friend's mat) wouldn't be supportive enough but 10cm might be very bulky. I couldn't feel the ground through this mat and I had none of the back discomfort I would have experienced with a roll mat.

It is quite hard work to deflate and get back into its bag, although it does also come with a couple of elastic 'bands' to keep it rolled up, which you could opt to use instead of fighting with the bag. To deflate it, I rolled the mat once and then closed the valve. I then rolled it again and opened the vlave towards the end to let the air out. I repeated this second roll (valve closed) once more and was able to get it into its bands and back into the bag.

The valve is easy to open and close (you turn it, by hand) and the mat also comes with a small piece of replacement fabric and tube of glue for repairs, should you manage to puncture your mat

Overall ratings

Comfort: 5/5
Self-inflating: 4/5
Packing/transporting: 3/5
Surface covering: 2/5

Overall, that works out at 3.5/5 which I've rounded up to 4, as it was very comfortable, inflated easily, and I will definitely be using it again.
on 5 July 2014
I ordered two mats and on first look they are large when rolled up. One self inflated but the other needed to be blown up completely, After using a blow up flocked bed for camping in the past I must admit they are nowhere near as comfy. I have boney hips found lying on my side uncomfortable on these mats. Overall, I'm not that happy with them but at the price point, couldn't see anything superior...
on 29 March 2015
Overall this mat is pretty good, for the price anyway. It seems well made and having used it for a few months now it's comfy too. I'm away from home for just over a week each month and use it regularly, sleeping well on it every time. For the price paid I'm happy. I've had other self inflating mats in the past that were MUCH more expensive and this one competes well against those from more well known names in this category. The self inflating valve seems good and strong, others I've had in the past have failed. The only reason I'm knocking it down a star is that it is fairly tedious to roll it back up again, it seems quite hard work just to get this back in the bag, you do need fairly strong hands or a good technique to get it rolled up. Overall though this last point is no reason not to buy this mat as it definitely gives a good nights sleep at a good price!!
on 27 October 2014
I bought the 10cm version of this back when it was a bargain price, and was initially very pleased with it - so pleased that I later bought one for hubby as well, and also recommended these to friends of ours who bought them...

Only, hubby's one has has some form of slow leak from brand spanking new - whilst it hasn't gone down in the night in use, when packed it inflates itself in its bag and so squishes outwards and becomes incredibly hard to remove the next time you want to use it. Not terribly impressed with that, but thought maybe that was a 1-off.... until my mat started to lose air in the night in use!

2 out of 2 with failures - not impressed tbh, with a 100% failure rate in ours.
And we're not at all heavy-handed with our equipment and treat all our kit with care.
Just watching and waiting for if/when friends' mats now also fail... (cry)

So, 2 stars only - for the bargain price from way back, and the 4 or 5 uses I've had from mine before it too has now failed. It's not fun finding yourself in huge amounts of pain, hardly able to move, because you're literally lying on the ground and your back is threatening to pop out again...
Noting now that other reviewers have been discovering some issues similar to these, and that it is difficult to a/ find the leak and b/ fix the leak cos the repair items supplied do not work on the mat material. Sigh. Will not be looking at Ultrasport for buying any replacements.

Edit: I've taken the numerical scoring down to the lowest you can do here - 1 star only.
Any friends or acquaintances of mine to whom I have mentioned Ultrasport in a good light previously, please kindly notice that I now revoke any recommendation I have ever made about Ultrasport.
The only recommendation I can now make is to avoid them.
This is because Ultrasport appear to be very good at ignoring all contact attempts, so any offers made on this site about replacing faulty items "at once" are moot in my direct experience.

If I get no response again from emails sent to an alternative email address I found myself for Ultrasport, as the one they supply in their 'ever so sorry' comment on my review here gains zero reply other than auto system acknowledgement, I'll be asking Amazon to intervene if they can and also looking to Trading Standards and Court action against the UK supplier if advised.
Enough is enough.
44 comments|6 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse