5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful surprise..............
In this novel we see Clara begining her first season as a debutante in New York in the 1890's. Within a short time her world is changing, gone her governess who she feel's is a friend. Clara's aunt come's to stay and take's over her tuition into society.
Published on 7 Mar. 2011 by lonegunwoman

3.0 out of 5 stars Disturbing
I was a bit bored at the beginning with all the detail but realized at the end why they had been included. I found it especially disturbing when I read at the end how factual it was
Published 11 months ago by Jane C

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful surprise.............., 7 Mar. 2011
lonegunwoman (London UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Clara had wanted to go to college, her aunt and father plan a wealthy marriage, to the heir of a wealthy family who have two son's returning from a European tour to join the season.

Lizzie. Clara's friend is also coming out, with the wealthy young men's return.

As women were sheltered and not alway's aware of the unpleasant side of life in the circle's Clara's life took her, she is dismayed when she find's her father's dealing's
are not quite as she would have hoped.

She find's he is buying her way in to society and a husband.

Clara find's herself falling in love with Harry the second son, she feel's she has to be a dutiful daughter and forget her own happiness.

Thing's never go to plan, Clara find's more question's than answer's. I found She walk's in Beauty entertaining and a pleasant few hour's.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, light historical romance, 15 Mar. 2011
Downloaded it as it was free. Took at look at the beginning to see if it was worthwhile and didn't put it down til I had finished it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful, 23 Mar. 2011
I opened this book not having any expectations. I was captivated by the historical aspect of the Victorian age within. The story is interesting, hopeful, and entertaining. There are twists and turns throughout that made the story quite unpredictable for me. It is evident the author is knowledgeable about the history of the Victorian Age in America. It is an enjoyable read and I highly recommend it!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great historical novel, but could do without the feminist tone, 17 April 2011
I picked this novel up because I love historical romance stories, stories about the days when men were men, women were women and courtship was a well understood dance.

I certainly wasn't disappointed in the historical detail, the author was brilliantly descriptive in describing the characters' clothing, the homes and venues and the various balls that the main characters attend. The characters are mostly well developed, but I did feel at times that the main character could have been a bit more smoothed out, there are points where she acts completely out of character but the author doesn't tell the reader why.

However, I do have to agree with some of the other reviewers - there is a continuing feminist tone throughout the book, leaving the reader well aware that the author wholly disapproves with society's views at this time in history...the preachiness of it got to be a bit much at times and dampened the story. I wasn't able to fully immerse myself in this time period or the story because I was constantly being jerked back to 2011, reminded that things are different now.

We all know that women were mistreated back then, to some extent...but I'm not sure society today is any better, just problematic in different ways. If the author had simply allowed her reader to enjoy the romance and the plot of this book, I'd have given 5 stars...but this is a romance novel that seems to want to be a feminist documentary.

Overall, I really enjoyed the story though!

4.0 out of 5 stars thoroughly enjoyable!!, 4 May 2011
I downloaded this book when it was free and i was extremely happy that i did!!

I enjoy period drama so this book was perfect for me the characters were intriging, and i found it interesting to see how different society is today especially for women.

A excellent book i would reccommend to all.

5.0 out of 5 stars Interesting and entertaining, 30 April 2011
Really enjoyed this. Romance story but with an interesting insight on history, conditions at the time. Well written and with a hint of suspense at times. Downloaded it free for Kindle but would definitely consider purchasing another novel by this author in future.

4.0 out of 5 stars She walks in beauty, 30 Mar. 2011
I loved this book. Got it as it was free but loved it from first page.
Definitely worth a try if you like a diversion from real life which is realistic and believable but not depressing in any way.

4.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly good, 28 Mar. 2011
I downloaded this as it was free and didn't have particularly high expectations. I found myself reading a well written captivating historical romance which I really enjoyed.

4.0 out of 5 stars A delightful suprise, 4 Jun. 2011
This is really not the type of book I would normally choose but I am so glad that I did now! Its not an overally heavy story but it does has enough little twists and suprises to entertain along with a lovely love story and the added informaton that the author added at the end about the period of time the book was set in was an added bonus. I would definately recommend and look for other books by the author.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great book and it s free!, 26 Mar. 2011
Not my usual style of book but I downloaded it as it was free. I could not put it down! simply a great book!