5.0 out of 5 stars Plug and Play - Easily handles MULTIPLE Blu-Ray HD streams
First off, this is an awesome product, totally plug and play with absolutely no configuration required whatsoever. Simply plug in your cables and off you go - it automatically detects whichever port has the connection from the router and the which one is connected to your computer or other devices, you don't have to do anything.

I use mine to connect an AV...
Published 13 months ago by The Archer

1.0 out of 5 stars Kept giving problems so had to replace it
I have only given this 1 star because after 3 months it kept giving me obscure faults on my home network when accessing the internet. I blamed my ISP (talktalk) for the problems when it was this switch that was the problem. Eventually I replaced it with a Netgear GS108 8-port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Switch, and this has worked perfectly ever since.
Published 13 months ago by GunRunner

5.0 out of 5 stars Plug and Play - Easily handles MULTIPLE Blu-Ray HD streams, 4 Feb. 2014
This review is from: NETGEAR GS208-100UKS 8 Port Gigabit Ethernet 10/100/1000 Mbps Switch (Accessory)

I use mine to connect an AV receiver, Smart TV, Sky HD box and HTPC to my home network. I simply plug in the various devices to this switch and then run cable between it and my main router. Everything connected and configured automatically as soon as it was plugged in.

For a stress test I streamed HD content to the Sky box over the internet, over the Smart TV and over the HTPC. I also sent two Blu-Ray rips from my NAS to the HTPC, each one averaging roughly 25 mbps. All the streams worked perfectly and the switch only got very slightly warm to the touch.

A final good point - the power cable and the ethernet ports are on the SAME side of the device. Many switches have these on opposite sides with is a pain for cable management.

One ANNOYING point -

The older version of this switch would adjust the colour of the LED lights on the front to indicate the speed of the connection over that port. That is, if you had a 100mbps device it would turn orange whilst a 1000mbps device would turn the indicator green. This is quite handy for quickly checking the network is operating as fast as it should.

This particular switch seems to simply stay green, despite the speed of the connection. I've tested it with several confirmed 100mbps devices and a green light is all you get.

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy Gigabit Upgrade - Plug It and Forget It!, 26 Mar. 2014
Number13 (England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This has to be the easiest, best value upgrade ever for a home network. No configuration, no `correct' broadband port, no setup. I just plugged my networked devices into any of the 8 ports and they communicated instantly. That includes desktops, laptop, a hardware firewall and a broadband modem beyond it. Each PC immediately `found' each other AND the broadband through the firewall with no IP address changes required.

Obviously the switch is much faster than any broadband you can get, so the network speed really shows for file transfers within your own network. Across a 30m long Cat 5e cable I got 350-400 Mbps and that's with an old PC at one end. I'd expect still better speeds with Cat 6 cables and the latest hardware connected.

The switch is very compact and neat, all the Ethernet sockets and power socket at the rear as they should be with green power and connection LEDs along the front. The LEDs flicker to show data transfer but they DON'T indicate the speed of each connection (100/1000 Mbps) by a colour change, so you may need to check your other hardware and cables to make sure you're getting gigabit speed where you should. I found a network surge protector that was dropping a connection to 100 Mbps level, but I had to look at the PC to find this. And check you don't still have any old Cat 5 (pre - 5e) cables in your network or you won't get high speeds.

The unit only gets slightly warm when busy, it says 3.64W is the maximum power and it meets the IEEE standard for energy efficiency. This cool running means there's no need for vent slots which is good if you want to put it in the sort of dusty places routers and switches often end up in - but it's small and neat enough to stay out on the desk or among your AV boxes.

UPDATE: 8 months later, still working perfectly.

5.0 out of 5 stars Netgear Switches Just Work!, 21 May 2013
I've had two 8 port Netgear 10/100/1000 switches running 24hrs a day for the last 8 years. Had to replace a PSU about two years ago, otherwise quietly faultless and fast.
This latest incarnation does what it says on the tin for about £20 less. Doesn't have as many lights, doesn't run as hot... It just works! :-)

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 22 May 2014
I am a network engineer and have always been impressed by the netgear products and these gigabit switches are a favourite of mine, I carry several about when working and they always come in handy when needing to put something temporary together or bypass some other units. The performance is excellent and I cant honestly find any fault with them.

5.0 out of 5 stars The perfect unmanaged desktop switch, 12 May 2014
+ Really solid construction - all metal enclosure
+ Supports 802.3ab (gigabit ethernet) and 802.3az (energy efficient ethernet)
+ Runs really cool and is silent (no fans)
+ 12V 1A DC Power Supply
+ Very small and looks smart
+ Plug-and-play (unmanaged switches don't require any setup)
+ Reliable (it's been running for 11 months without a restart)

I've been using this switch for about 11 months for my PC, laptop, WiFi access point, Raspberry Pi and Beaglebone Black, and I've never noticed any problems whatsoever. I chose it over similar products from D-Link and TP-Link because its metal enclosure ensures good heat dissipation. Considering getting another to hook up my AV system to my home network.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good bit of kit, does what it should, and under load doesn't appear to have any issues., 22 Dec. 2013
Simple to plug and play bit of kit. Don't forget the cables though. Cat 5e or 6 is needed for Gigabit ethernet.

Don't use with lower spec cables or you are just asking for trouble.

1.0 out of 5 stars Kept giving problems so had to replace it, 15 Jan. 2014

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice kit, 25 Feb. 2013
Tiny, discrete, low energy use, no ping / latency issues. This switch turned out to be an ideal choice for linking the 4 AV boxes in our lounge to the router upstairs. A Cat 5 copper wire link has proved to be much more reliable than WiFi or powerline when stressed by data loading. Such is life in a modern home!

5.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't have been easier, 19 Dec. 2013
J. Holden "John Holden" (Hindhead, UK) - See all my reviews
Bought the GS208 to replace an 8-port 100 Mbit hub. Very tidy unit, with a small power supply that gives off very little heat, and works perfectly. Also bought a handful of Cat6 cables for the devices that can connect at 1 GBit rates, including BT Home Hub 4. The simplest technology upgrade of the year!

5.0 out of 5 stars Brill. Not issue. Like the styling. Looks far more professional than plastic., 4 Jan. 2015
J. Ledger "Jake" (Sheffield, England) - See all my reviews
Does what it says on the tin really. Works great. Low Latency, Low power, Tested the Gigabit through put and I got over 900Mbps so that will do for me.

I like the shell colour and the fact it's metal. It seems a little petty I know but it looks far more professional in a work environment that some white plastic thing that looks cheap and nasty.

I also like the fact it has a kensington lock point. These things have a habit of disappearing so being able to lock it down comes in very handy.

Great little product from Netgear.