5.0 out of 5 stars The must read book on Running
Published on 11 May 2003

1.0 out of 5 stars Hardwork
First half very dull, second half not much better. I nearly gave up with it after a few chapters but because of the other good reviews I continued as I though I'd be missing out later in the book. I wouldn't have missed out if I'd have stopped.
Published 13 days ago by Mr J-P Labadie

5.0 out of 5 stars The must read book on Running, 11 May 2003
By A Customer
Running and Being is the most important book written on running and a pretty good introduction to complexities of Being. Sheehan is the most inspired of the sports poets crafting the central axion of man returning to his body as the antidote for the poorly lived life. Having read it four times, it continues to inspire. Running and Being reads as it is; a series of occasional magazine vignettes, and consequently can be dipped into for inspiration rather than require a serial read.
The journal format provides rich material for the philosophical athelete or anyone who has "discovered their own play".
Sheehan, first writing in the seventies, is the first of the running writers and with no legacy, pulls his thoughts from an eclectic mix of medicine, philosophy, theology and sports journalism. Running for Sheehan is both the most natural activity of the body and a mystical experience where the individual athelete has to face his/her frailties with complete candour.
The reader will likely engage with Sheenhan and want to follow up the threads he develops. To this end the republished "Running and Being" still lacks from not including directed follow up reading.

5.0 out of 5 stars The only book in my library I reread!!, 8 Feb 1999
By A Customer
For the Sheehan neophyte, let me say this, this is NOT a book to learn how run better. It IS a book to become a better person. Dr. Sheehan is simply one of us; a runner who happens to write. The beauty of this book is that Sheehan doesn't candy coat his stories. He tells running as it is, as he is. You'll read this book and continually say, "My god, that's it, that's what I feel, that's how I am too." Soon, things you'd suspected about yourself, become clearer. Questions like, "Why do you run?", begin to have meaningful answers.
I have read tons about running and if I had to rank them, all Dr. Sheehan's books would be on the top of the list (But "R&B" is the best of his stuff, so start there). If you want the definitive book on all the technical details about running, get Glover's "Competetive Runner's Handbook" (make sure "Competetive" is in the title). If you want or need helping understanding life, read all of Sheehan's stuff. Heck those two books (Sheehan & Glover) are really all you need for years of PR's and spiritual growth.

5.0 out of 5 stars The runners bible, 5 Jan 2014
This review is from: Running & Being: The Total Experience (Kindle Edition)
Great read as everyone has,said about to reread again loved it will enlighten delight inspire and drive you to experience

5.0 out of 5 stars Much more than running, 16 May 2013
S. C. Collins (Tunbridge Wells, Kent, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Running & Being: The Total Experience (Kindle Edition)
If you are looking for a book about how to train and with a program to follow this is not it.
This book is much more than, this is about the why of running, and the why of life too.

I purchased the kindle version of this book, and I have highlighted more passages and quotes in this than any other book. It is a book I will return to. Although this book is over 30 years old, it says more or less everything about the philosophy of running.

The kindle book is well formatted as well.

1.0 out of 5 stars Hardwork, 9 Sep 2014
This review is from: Running & Being (Paperback)

2.0 out of 5 stars Not what I expected..., 10 Sep 2013
Nathan Hardwick "Sci-fi Devourer" (Whitley Bay) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Running & Being: The Total Experience (Kindle Edition)
I was expecting philosophy but not religion - too many references to scripture and god for my liking. Didn't bother to finish the book and was really looking forward to reading it initially. I'm not a religious person just a runner with an interest in philosophy. Should have been called, 'Running, Being & God' - and then I would have been able to avoid it. Very disappointing.

Running & Being: The Total Experience