5.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining, apposite, and extremely useful
Told with the aid of a highly entertaining tale about the fictional Chocolate Teapot Company, the Psychology of Price explains the key effects of pricing on retail, service and tender-based commerce.

Most people are aware of the 99p effect, but it turns out that the psychology of price goes much deeper, with techniques such as anchoring, bundles and decoys able...
Published 20 months ago by Martin Turner

3.0 out of 5 stars Price
This is a book aimed at small companies and self employed persons, rather than the the general person. It is based around various different scenarios and psychology pieces, aiming to give you a clearer practical understanding of how to use price to sell products.

Published 15 months ago by Funk

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely brilliant and really interesting, 20 May 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This was a cracking read and I'm delighted that I ordered it. In fact, when I saw the blurb, I was really surprised that there weren't more books already out there on this crucial topic.

Another reviewer quite rightly comments that this is "more opinion than fact". I would actually agree, but personally I didn't feel this made it a less valuable book. It's very readable and gives a really helpful introduction to thinking about pricing - not something that people in most roles or organisations get to do at all, even when working with price models that are already employed in their business. This book helps to start the thought process about why a price may be set at a certain level, the factors that may affect it, and new ways of thinking through the psychology of price.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very interesting, 16 May 2013
Michael Scott "www.nowillpowerrequired.co.uk" (Norfolk, UK) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Firstly this book is not a guide to exact pricing or a book that says go with 9.99 over 10 because people will fall for the trick of it being cheap. It basically talks about generally how price, brand and value all link together. It talks around how pricing a product doesn't just give it a monetary value, it is also gives the purchased an opinion of how good the product is and whether at that price it fits in with the persons values and beliefs. This is perfect for a web E-Commerce expert like myself as it allows me to think about my pricing from the perspective of the customer and not what I think it should sell for, Strongly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars an interesting book, 16 May 2013
Jessie (Leeds, UK) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This makes interesting reading for anyone in retail or anyone interested in retail. It discusses how the price points of items can increase your chances of a sale. A great read in the psychology of pricing and how you can use it in your business.

4.0 out of 5 stars The Price is Right, 16 May 2013
Mr. William Oxley "oxenblocks" (England) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a well laid out book that investigates the buyers mindset when purchasing and the conditions that affect a buy or a not buying.

There is a working example that runs through the book looking at a fictional chocolate tea pot and how strategic pricing might be used to optimise sales.

Really interesting and worth a read.

4.0 out of 5 stars Really liked the content, thought less of the style, 16 May 2013
NeilC (Windsor, UK) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Having worked setting the pricing strategies for selling products online I was drawn to this book to try and get the academic background and some new insights to back up my personal experiences.

At first, as I read through the opening chapters, I feared that the book would be basic and uninspiring. It uses a fictitious chocolate teapot company as the framework for its content and I found the style of these examples to patronising and completely unbelievable. However, as I persisted with the book, I did find the non-example content in the later chapters much better. The book is broken down into short stand-alone sections that take different aspects of pricing strategies (bundling, upselling, anchoring, publishing prices etc.) and each is engaging with nuggets of insight.

My enjoyment of the book was spoiled by the chocolate teapot examples and the use of vague other examples (at one stage they give the example of a magazine subscription with digital, paper and paper + digital subscriptions, that is so clearly the Economist as made famous by Dan Ariely in Predictably Irrational: The Hidden Forces that Shape Our Decisions, why not just state this?), however if you're looking for a great overview into all the elements of pricing and the different strategies to consider then the book is comprehensive.

3.0 out of 5 stars Price, 16 May 2013
Funk (UK) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)

There are better books about the psychology of price, and better books about how to do sales. This does combine both, although it felt slightly patronising to me (but then again having studied sales psychology extensively, i'm probably not the target audience), but there is plenty to learn.

3.0 out of 5 stars the psychology of price, 15 May 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a topic I am interested in and there is a lot of relevant and

helpful information and examples in the book. I think if we truly knew

why 100% of buy things 100% of the time we would be on to a winner but

the answer isn't that simple, however there is a lot of food for

thought in this book especially in the "why people buy" area as well as

the tricky question of how much to charge for a product. I haven't

finished reading this book because it's a non-fiction book and I tend

to not read those cover to cover from page 1 as I would a novel. I

tend to jump around to relevant chapters and sections I'm interested in

so this review will be updated when I have finished completely. So far

3/5

4.0 out of 5 stars More useful than a chocolate teapot, 7 May 2013
Sue Bentley (Cheshire) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This book is actually a good guide to anyone who needs to think about the price they charge for things. The case study used throughout the book is a company that makes little plastic teapots full of instant chocolate. Instead of starting at the point so many people do - how much did they cost to make, the advice instead is to look at a whole range of different things before deciding. One of those is - what else could people buy instead of this? Coffee? Designer water? If so in what kinds of packages? What is the perceived value of the product (ie the price the market will pay).

Some of the case study stuff struck me as a bit implausable, I have run my own business for 15 years and there were points I just did not believe would work quite that well. However the book does give some good advice, and a lot of food for thought. It is well written in plain, friendly english and the structure is nice. You can dip in and out or read the whole thing. There is a very good checklist of things to think about that I found useful and which did make me think.

It is not a business studies sort of book, it is a book for somebody who wants to improve their profitability by striking the right balance on their price list, and doesn't want to wade through a stack of learned treatise or waffle to find some help to do it. I like the way it uses how people think as a way to price products, rather than treating pricing as a mathematical exercise.

4.0 out of 5 stars Enlightening and instructive, 1 May 2013
S. Thomas - See all my reviews
(No. 1 Hall OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
A very engaging discourse on consumer perception of price and how this can inform pricing strategy. This is more a 'thought provoker' than a primer on the subject and I felt that some of the applied examples were rather lightweight. However, as a catalyst for challenging my attitudes and as a prompt for internal discussion on how we approach the subject I found it very useful.

It is very easy in business to see cost from the perspective of the seller and Caldwell encourages one to work back from the angle of the buyer. The concepts he expounds are not profound or novel but did enlighten in the way that something only seems obvious once it is expressed. Very worthwhile to stimulate strategic thinking and with a helpful bibliography for anyone who needs to read to a greater depth on the subject.

Caldwell's training was as a mathematical economist and he runs a business advising on price modelling. He therefore knows how to apply the concept and my sense that the examples were lightweight is probably the product of his efforts to communicate what are abstract concepts. Overall, he achieves this effectively. Recommended for anyone who runs a business or who works for a business at the interface between marketing and finance.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect balance, 18 April 2013
This review is from: The Psychology of Price: How to use price to increase demand, profit and customer satisfaction (Kindle Edition)
I find the trouble with most books on the subject is that either they are academic to the point of obtuse, or dumbed down to the point where I feel I'm being patronised.
This book walks that line brilliantly, explaining academic notions in an entertaining way: a difficult skill.

Highly recommended for anyone selling anything, and also for anyone interested in understanding how they are being sold TO.