on 5 February 2013
I will make an effort to review this properly in time, but I received it today and I already know that the performances are about the best you can get for post-mono renditions of Verdi's output, and that Decca (Universal) have made some loving effort to create a comprehensive product. It looks very nice as well.
I'm writing a premature review as some potential buyers are, I know, concerned about whether or not there are texts and translations included, perhaps on a CD rom or via a link to a website. Alas I have to inform you that all you get are detailed cued synopses. I don't know how easy it is to get translations of Verdi libretti on the net (it might be easier than I think) but if you are thinking of consolidating your collection you might bear this in mind and hang on to some of your booklets... Anyhow this is much better than most of the Wagner anniversary issues ( and frankly I can't think of a better comprehensive and consolidated opera issue to acquire). I'll now go listen to more and see if my judgment changes, but my feeling is that *at the price* the lack of libretti is understandable given that the recordings here are mostly pretty recent...
on 5 August 2013
This is a wonderful complete set of Verdi's works, but it could have been so much better if the libretti of the operas had been included.
on 8 December 2013
this must be one of the CD bargains of the decade. The recordings feature top artists and are mainly Gramophone Guide best recordings
on 29 November 2013
I got this box pretty much the moment it was released and am very happy with what I got.
Only recently I experienced a little bump in that happiness when I noticed that there was a full opera missing (Les Vêpres Siciliennes).
It was only when I saw it listed for delivery at London Covent Garden some time ago.
A quick wiki check learned me that there are 3/4 recordings of the opera with one as recent as 2010, so wonder why this one wasn't included (or to be precise only a very small part). I realize this is a little known opera, but people buy these boxes also for their completeness, especially when it says 'complete Verdi' and to get access to the works your hear and see less these days.
Don't get me wrong: this is still a very very good deal, but it is either complete or not at all..
on 27 May 2013
Thousands of reviewers of opera over the years, on this website, have explained at length and in brief how important it is for the customer to have the libretti - even if one has to print off a copy oneself from the company's website. Decca - who never answer email queries via their website - have missed a golden opportunity. How difficult/expensive can it be to make libretti available on a website?
on 23 May 2013
It goes without saying that this a fantastic opportunity to acquire just about everything that Verdi wrote - in terrific performances and excellent sound. So, if you fancy the ouevre, don't hesitate, just buy it.

However.....
I acquired my copy 2 years ago direct from Italy for the princely sum of 90 euros. OK it was a special offer and it cost another 30 euros shipping. Most importantly though, the Italian release included a whopping softback book containing all the libretti & song texts (although admittedly only in the original language).

Decca, could you not have included this for the pan-european release?
on 7 February 2013
I've received today this fantastic collection with the most important verdian recordings of all time but with two little problems. IT'S NOT INCLUDED THE LOST ARIAS FROM MACBETH. The only recording that includes that four arias is the fantastic recording of Muti with Cossotto, Milnes , Carreras in LP . When EMI made the CD edition, those arias where not included till today, as I remember. It is strange that the group has not selected the Macbeth with Cossotto instead the Verrett version, marvelous of course, but without that important extras.
The second problem is the quality of the box material. If we make a little more pression when we mantain the box opened it is possible that you broke the thin paper used to join the cover to the box. BUT WHO CARES AT THIS PRICE? BUY THIS COLLECTION WITHOUT DOUBTS AND... OPEN THE BOX CAREFULLY.
on 19 November 2013
This box set is a must for every Verdi and Opera Fan. It includes THE BEST recordings for each opera (even in operas which you have never heard of like Stiffellio and Un Giorno di Regno ), with artists such as Jose Carreras, Katia Ricciarelli, Samuel Ramey and Jessey Norman in Verdi's early works, and with artists such as Domingo, Cotrubas, Obraztsova, Ghiaurov, Freni, Moris, Studer, Milnes, Plowright, Verrett, Pavarotti, Cappucilli, Baltsa, Levine, Karajan, Kleiber, Tebaldi, Bergonzi and many more in the rest. Besides the operas (which even contain Don Carlos' french version from DG!) it also includes Verdi's requiem, rarites, songs and religious music performed by famous artists.

The only issue in this box set is the lack of the libretti. But guess what? It's not a big deal! If you're already an opera fan you must have some of the libretti already (ex.La Traviata, Il Trovatore etc.) and even if you haven't got any libretti this box set contains a brief synopsis of each track of every opera.

In conclusion, this box set is a great bargain and a wonderful chance to listen to Verdi's Complete Works!
on 21 December 2013
I for one can't find a fault with this set at all. For 70+ discs I believe it's a bargain. I have been criticised because I see no problem that there isn't even one libretto supplied with the set, if every Opera in this set had a libretto the price would have been more than £200. Friends of mine say the lack of a libretto put off those who have never listened to an Opera before. The answer to that is very simple and that is they should not be buying such a set if they have never listened to an opera before. You can't please everyone and please before considering replying to this with line after line just remember it's only my opinion and there are 6 Billion of us on this planet so it's not worth worrying that much is it ? Merry Christmas.
on 5 March 2013
outstanding opera - for late nights - mostly alone in a good chair ! Verdi is may be the ultimate opera composer - on the same level as Wagner - but surely different !