4.0 out of 5 stars Oh those Canadians!
"Raisins come from grapes
People come from apes
I come from Canada"

(lyrics from "Raisins")

Published on 20 May 2008 by Amanda Richards

2.0 out of 5 stars Unlike BNL other albums
This isn't good at all. You need to know before buying this that, with the exception of two tracks, these are all novelty songs. What drives me mad about people with kids is that they become blinkered and don't see that people without offspring just aren't interested. This is mostly nursery rhyme rubbish and as a single person that likes BNL for their well crafted and...
Published on 16 Aug 2009 by Mr. Nathan Pritchard

4.0 out of 5 stars Oh those Canadians!, 20 May 2008
Amanda Richards "Hotpurplekoolaid" (ECD, Guyana) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
"Raisins come from grapes
People come from apes
I come from Canada"

(lyrics from "Raisins")

This Canadian alt-rock band scores big with my family with this album of 24 original and hilarious songs for kids. For a taste of the album make sure you watch the video on the Amazon.com product page for the first track "7,8,9", based on the old pun about a very hungry number seven.

Whether they're singing about ninjas or pollywogs, allergies or the alphabet, BNL never fail to bring a smile to your face with the clever lyrics and catchy tunes.

The ones we really like are "The Ninjas"; "Pollywog in a Bog"; "Raisins"; "The Canadian Snacktime Trilogy ii - Popcorn"; "Allergies"; and "I Don't Like". The one that made me smile is "Crazy ABC's", and I'll list a few letters so you can see why.

A is for Aisle

H is for Hour
J is for Jalapeno
M is for Mnemonic
T is for Tsunami

The one small problem is that there are a few too many slower tracks that are pretty good as folk ballads, but not so good at holding the attention of younger kids. Some of these are "Louis Loon", "The Canadian Snacktime Trilogy i - Snacktime"; "The Canadian Snacktime Trilogy iii - Vegetables"; "My Big Sister" and "Bad Day". The melodies are nice, but will be more to the liking of slightly older folk. (Think Gordon Lightfoot)

One fun bit of trivia is that at the end of "The Canadian Snacktime Trilogy i - Snacktime" various people tell you their favorite snacks, and these people include Gordon Lightfoot, Geddy Lee, Lyle Lovett, Sarah MacLachlan, Jason Priestley, Janeane Garofalo and Weird Al Yankovic.

Light-hearted, punny, clever and very, very entertaining - this is an album the whole family can enjoy and sing along to between giggles.

Amanda Richards

4.0 out of 5 stars This is not your usual children's CD...., 28 Jun 2008
K. Lowe (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Snacktime! (Audio CD)
....this is much, much better! For parents who have to listen to the same CD over and over in the car this is a delight. Definitely one that everyone can enjoy without going mad singing the words to Mary, Mary for the 50th time!

Fabulous tunes with witty and intelligent lyrics. The only issue, as previously mentioned, is the couple of slower tracks that are still good but don't appeal to my three year old. However she enjoys singing 789, Eraser and Popcorn (among others) at full volume so easily overlooks those.

My only concern is how the teachers will deal with her 'A is for aisle, K is for knick-knack and P is for pneumonia alphabet' when she starts school in September!!!

Definitely one that you can listen to when the children aren't in the car and catch something different each time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Seven-ate-Nine, 6 July 2008
This review is from: Snacktime! (Audio CD)
This CD has been part of the family for a month now ... and it comes everywhere with us! Our Roald Dahl Talking Books have been sidelined at bedtime, and our five year old now listens to Barenaked Ladies every night as he's going to sleep (or not, as the case may be!)

7-8-9 is by far the favourite (sometimes in the car we have to play it five times on the trot!), and you can't beat a good song about a ninja! I must say I never thought a child of mine (let alone a five year old one) would wander into our bedroom one morning and say "what are bitter greens and radicchios". (I don't know! I'll look on the internet for you!)

I love this album, and so does my husband. But I thought I'd better ask the boy for his opinions, seeing as it supposed to be an album for children:

Q: What do you think of the CD?
A: We like them

Q: Which is your favourite song?
A: All of them

Q: And why should people buy it?
A: Cos it is very good

So there you go - you now have the opinions of a 36-year-old and her five-year-old son! Who we haven't actually told what the band are called yet - don't quite know how to broach that one with him!?!

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than all the other 'kids' cds, 30 Aug 2008
This review is from: Snacktime! (Audio CD)
This is better than They Might be Giants, For the Kids, and Colours are Brighter. Funny for kids and adults and great for singing along to on long car journeys, it bears up well to repeated playing (parents will know what I mean). My kids (5-11) have been making up their own versions of the songs too - hours of entertainment. Thank you BNL!

5.0 out of 5 stars A classic!, 29 April 2013
This review is from: Snacktime (Audio CD)
Our kids love this cd and know every song on it. Whenever we make popcorn, we have to listen to the popcorn track! A particular favourite is seven ate nine. Full of fantastic jokes that kids can relate to. Every song is in a different pop style and it's fun to work out what pop songs were inspiration for this album. We bought this as a birthday present for soon to be six year old who came over and had fun listening to it with us. She was delighted.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 7 Jan 2014
This review is from: Snacktime (Audio CD)
Great album for kids of all ages! Creative, funny, intelligent, with funtastic lyrics. All the very best you could expect from the Barenaked Ladies. If you've got kids buy it. If you haven't got kids....buy it....then have kids and play it to them!

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect, 24 July 2013
Matthew Pashby "pashbrown" (london, england) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Snacktime (Audio CD)
BNL are my favourite band and this album is so clever and the songs are light-hearted and fun but also good songs, I can't wait to have children just to play them this album

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent present for grandchildren, 6 Feb 2011
Mrs. Angela M. Patrick "Kentish maid" (kent, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Snacktime (Audio CD)
I bought this for my 3yr old grandson on the recommendation of a friend who had bought it for her 6 yr old. It was well received and is played all the time in the car and even his older sister enjoys listening to it. It is a relief from all the usual children's cd's of nursery rhymes. A definite hit!

5.0 out of 5 stars Just Brilliant !, 25 Sep 2010
S. Miller (Glasgow) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Snacktime! (Audio CD)
This is one of the best children's CDs ever made. Forget all that awful wheels on the bus nonsense - this will amuse parents and kids alike. You will find yourself singing along and laughing out loud. Long journeys are much more tolerable with this. If you have children - buy it! Also try out the Sandra Boynton CDs aswell.

5.0 out of 5 stars Smiley face, 23 July 2010
This review is from: Snacktime! (Audio CD)
Every time I hear this CD it puts a smile on my face; without patronisong the bnl boys come up with a set of songs that are genuinely for all ages. I have 5 daughters (aged 10 - 16) all of whom love it (although they fight about which song to listen to!). Any band that can come up with a song about tadpoles, vegetables and loving your big sister (but not wanting to wear her coat) must have some genius about them. There are touching moments too like 'having a bad day'. My personal favourite is the ABC song - A is for Aisle, B is for Bdellium... This one's definitely in the car for the upcoming 5 hour holiday car drive.

Snacktime!