on 27 October 2014
This is a fabulous book; by turns taking me back to my horse-mad childhood, then forward into feats of unthinkably crazy horsemanship this armchair rider can only marvel at. But this is no Clarkson on horseback. It's funny, engaging and at times horribly honest. The real heart of the book, though, is the sensitively evoked relationship between horse and man, ( they clearly adore each other) which is when the pace of the prose really takes off. Very unusual work from a male writer, and incredibly moving it is too. I cried, and I bet you will as well.
on 2 December 2012
Brilliant, charming, easy to read. Cantering along from chapter to chapter, Steven's story amuses, saddens and uplifts. A must for horsey and non-horsey alike. What happens next though ?
on 1 December 2012
The 1st book I have read in a day for ages. I laughed out load and produced a tear at times. Written in a manner which will appeal to everyone.
A must fall all Horsey folk.
on 7 February 2015
A thoroughly engaging and brutally honest account of the ups and downs of life with an ex-racehorse. The humans and animals alike are such characters, it was a pleasure to spend time with them all. Underpinning it all is a beautiful story of second-chances and the importance of following your passions, especially when a 'creature' (as the book's four-legged star is jokingly referred to) captures your heart.
on 13 May 2013
What a fantastic book! I felt the heartache and the joy throughout. I hear there might be a sequel and I truly hope so. What an inspirational novel which you can instantly tell was written from the heart. A brilliant first outing for this author. Would love to see this in paperback/hardback! Come on what are you waiting for, this is truly a jewel in any publishers crown!!!!
on 24 December 2012
Fantastic book, loved every minute. Could identify with it every step of the way, felt the heartache and joy with the author
on 11 January 2013
A book that could not be put down , Funny, Sad and the best humour. Just waiting for the next one!!
on 18 July 2013
I gave up on this book as it was just too steady. I had expected a greater tale of man and horse learning a new skill together culminating in them competing at somewhere prestigious such as Badminton. What I did not expect was his delight in winning 4th place in a 2ft riding club jumping competition. My 78 year old mother regularly jumps much higher than that.
It is written well, and for some will be a great read, sadly I am not one of them. Please not that I am commenting on a book that I only read the first half of and skimmed through the remainder.
on 12 February 2013
This book brought back fond memories of our experiences with our horses. Nicely written and involving, would like to see a sequel.
on 9 September 2013
Written in an easy to read format this book grabs you and makes you feel like part of the family. Retaining busy careers intermingled with the occasional domestic crisis, Steven and Jenny still find time to devote their lives to their beloved horses. I felt like part of the family at ease with the horses in the beautiful Yorkshire countryside.