1,023 Reviews

Published 8 months ago by A. Taylor

5.0 out of 5 stars This Phone made me feel a little sad ;, 9 Feb 2013
StephJ (England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
I didn't buy this phone from Amazon as intended, as there was a rush on stock following many positive newspaper articles, and I didn't want to wait. My wife and I were fed up with the increasing volume of nuisance calls selling everything from PPI and Accident claims to annoying "surveys". Then there are the "silent" calls, where no-one answers (I'm told that these are automated calls that add your number to a list when the phone is answered. Your number is then sold on as a "live" number to marketing companies.) Very annoying. Accordingly I popped down the local shops and got one this weekend. It was a little more expensive than the Amazon one but we were desperate!

I only now realise how many nuisance calls we received, as the house is strangely silent. We can eat our meals in peace, without having to tell yet another teleseller that that is NOT how to pronounce our name, and NO, we don't buy anything or take surveys by phone. How many times have I told you - I HAVEN'T had an accident, Go Away! I've suddenly realised, all those phone calls were not from friends and relatives wanting to chat - they were mainly people after our money! Now hardly anyone rings - I feel bereft, somewhat unpopular and unneeded.
But I'll survive.

Opening the box,I was surprised to see there is no manual in there, nor even a "Quick Start" sheet. No paperwork at all. *(see comments for more info - there is a quick start guide hidden in there!) Oh well, the blurb says that its easy to use, so lets see. I carefully unpacked the contents, and saw that little tags were attached to the handsets through the battery cover. They advised that the phone sets need charging for 24 hours. I couldn't wait 24 hours, so I simply removed the AAA batteries from my existing phones (which were fully charged) and placed them in the new sets - Voila - all ready to work. (Two AAAs for each handset are needed)

I plugged the phones in and proceeded to set them up. Yes, there is a "Wizard" that helps you through set up, but soon I was interrupted and had to quit this task for a while. Going back to the phone some time later, I couldn't see the set up wizard again, so just explored the options on the easily readable screen.

It is fairly intuitive to set up, even, I suspect, for the average technophobe. One of the first things I did after getting all my phone contacts entered was to set up the call barring. (I entered the details by hand, rather than inserting the sim from my mobile into the sim card reader** on the phone, as I have different numbers on there from what I want on my home phone. This was easy enough, and the entries were immediately and automatically copied to the second remote handset without any problem.)

Setting up the call blocking is easy. Press Menu and select "Call Control" (You'll need to set up a simple four digit code sometime during the process) In the "Incoming Calls" section,under "Call Type" you can block (and unblock) all International calls,(the source of many nuisance calls) withheld numbers, no caller id numbers, etc. Under "By number" you can block any number by entering that number (you can have up to ten or so numbers blocked in this way) Its also very easy to add numbers automatically to this list after receiving a phone call, by following the easy to use menus.

Should you block a specific number, and then decide to unblock it you need to go to "Call Control" - "Incoming Calls" menu and simply remove the number from the list. If you elect to block withheld or International numbers, the caller can still leave a message, so if it's not a nuisance call and someone genuinely needs to speak to you, they can still leave a message,(I did check this)so you don't need to worry about them no being able to contact you, and very few canvassers/sellers will waste their time leaving messages.

Parental control is easy to set up too, for example you can easily block all outgoing premium rate calls, plus other options.

As I said earlier, the screen is clear and the type font is easily readable, and the menu fairly intuitive. If you do need help, don't bother with BT's helpline number (automatically added to the phone) which is always busy. If you have internet access, a pdf manual can be found by searching "BT 6500 manual" quite easily. It is NOT the exact same model, but most of the instructions do apply this model.
The exact manual is on the BT website.

Oh, and its easy to use the phone as an internal system - call any handset from any other - very handy!

The sound quality is not the best, but I won't be listening to any classical concerts on it, and most of the ring tones are a bit naff, but we found two that we can live with.

All in all a great phone - but don't get one if you're feeling lonely; You'll miss all those nice strangers calling you at all times of the day!

*Don't forget, you'll need to subscribe to a "caller ID" service from your phone provider to make use of these services, which will cost maybe a couple of pounds per month. Without this, of course, you'll not be able to see who's calling anyway.

I see from another review that if you intend to use an existing phone on your phone line together with this phone, the existing phone (If its NOT a BT 6500) will still ring, even if calls are screened on the BT 6500. That doesn't surprise me, but some people may need to be aware of this too if they plan to "mix and match".

** Thanks to J Shepherd for pointing out that there is no mention of a simcard reader mentioned in the manual. Having checked my phone for the slot a little belatedly, I have to say that there isn't one! When I purchased the phone, having not found the manual in the box, I downloaded one from the Internet. Unfortunately I downloaded the manual for the BT Synergy 6500 which is a slightly different version of this phone which apparently does have a simcard reader. Sorry if I have misled anyone by mentioning the card reader.

Several weeks (19th March now)from my initial review, and I have to say that this phone is doing a great job of keeping those pesky, annoying sales people away. It was well worth the money I paid, even though the price on Amazon is now considerably less than what it was.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great phones!, 8 Jun 2013
We recently upgraded from Panasonic DECT phones. Things I love about this phone: 1. The nuisance call blocking; 2. the 'do not disturb' feature - where you can set prescribed times for the phone not to ring, or you can switch this on and off when needed; 3. the clear display that tells you when you have missed calls.

I find the sound quality fine - which seems to be the subject of criticism in other reviews.

Overall no complaints

5.0 out of 5 stars Bit spooky but really does the job!, 26 April 2013
We were receiving a large number of nuisance calls each day and some in the middle of the night so decided to invest in a phone system that filters what we receive. Purchased this system and set the filter to remove the calls we didn't want. It works really well but, any of our friends that "withhold" their numbers are also filtered out so a slight downer but it's better than getting bombarded with rubish. The spooky bit is that when it receives a call that is filtered, the screen of the hand sets goes blue and if its in eyesight you notice the blue glare specially if the room is dark!
Since we set it up we have not had to answer an "Out of area", "International", or "withheld" nuisance call but we have had a lot!

3.0 out of 5 stars OK UP TO A POINT, 12 Nov 2013
A. Taylor (Surrey England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Let me start by saying that the answer phone side of the product is first rate. Answers quickly and the reproduced sound is first rate, clear and just how you would want it. The system is easy to programme, and programme one handset and you have programmed them all. In other words every menu item can be accessed and programmed from one phone and that programmes them all and this includes the answer phone part of the system. Has all that one would expect, text messages, different sound tones, ability to chose between 2 and a max of 9 rings before answer and so on. Also has caller display and the ability to stop nuisance calls.

Seems to be fairly well made and the handsets have a very good range before the call starts to break up i.e. if you take one out into the garden. Numbers on the buttons are a good size, though the alphabet that also appears on each key (i.e. numeric 2 also has ABC on the same key) are fairly small. Display is good, clear and readable and walks you through any menu changes as you go.

So, why only three stars? Three reasons, one even after altering the number of rings before answering from 2 to 9 I still only seem to get 4 rings. And that after spending an age finding out just how to alter the number of rings! Two, the call quality, which is normally good, become awful if anything other than a straightforward conversation is taking place. i.e. whenever I ring a call centre, which seems to happen about 4 times a week or more, and one gets that canned music rather than a person the sound quality falls apart. Either one gets bits of the music with lots of crackles in between or the volume drops to nothing and all one gets is the occasional out of tune whistle. Three put the phone on loudspeaking and the other person sounds as if their voice is being bounced in via Voyager 1 somewhere outside the solar system.

5.0 out of 5 stars Say goodbye to sales calls, 24 April 2013
I bought these mainly because I was fed up with the nasty Binatone bargain bin phones the 6500 replaced . Very simple and straight forward to set up , nice quality and clarity of calls is amazing compared to inferior quality I am used to! The best thing is the barring facility. I have tried the preferential user service for some time and frankly it does not work. First thing I did was bar international calls-- that worked (upset my son in Madrid though) literally overnight the nuisance calls have stopped. There are plenty of other methods to "control" who phones you a little less dramatic than my method and that's the beauty of these phones. I am still "playing" with the features (there are many to play with!) and have quickly picked up pretty much everything without resorting to the instruction manual (always a good thing).
The menus are simple to navigate the screen is crystal clear and the numbers are a decent size and spacing. This is a nice feature if- like me you have sausage fingers, so far I haven't dialled any wrong numbers in error. If you are looking to buy these you will not be disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just what I needed, 6 Dec 2013
The old cordless phone we had was getting crackly, so time for a new one. Having looked around the shops and the net, and seeing this phone with no doubt the feature that will attract most people to it "Nuisance call blocking"

I however did not really want a phone with an answering machine, but the call blocking was pulling me more and more, so rather than pay full price I opted for a refurbished one from one of the sellers on Amazon, for about half price I was quite impressed how well it looked when it arrived (still can't see any signs of it being used before)

Arrived and was easy to setup, the answer machine is easy enough to switch off if you are like myself and have the BT answering service anyway

You need to input the names and numbers yourself, that itself is very easy to do and you assign each name a 3 different numbers "Home" "Mobile" "Work" then you can assign a ring tone for the person. Unfortunately it will be the same tone for each contacts number, if you wanted a different tone for that particular person's different numbers you would need to then save each individual number as a separate contact (something I did) there is 15 tones for handset (with 5 tones for base)
..some are ok and some rather annoying, but I found the simple ring ring fine and loud, as are most of the ring tones (you can adjust the volume of not just the handset but the base itself) Rest of the set up is quite easy, even without the one time setup that comes up when you first start the phone up

Calls are nice and crisp (no crackle) and also not like on last one where by you could hardly hear the person calling, you can also turn the volume up or down for that. Display is easy to read and lights up a nice blue colour, only the speaker on mine seems to be a bit distorted (could be why it was a refurbished item) but do not really use that so not that concerned.

I had two AAA batteries all ready fully charged so could use it right away. Not sure if the batteries should come fully charged but from what I read it will take a while to fully charge them out the box. The standby time is good and seems last days

The phone itself is a nice to hold in the hand and the buttons are a nice feel, you can set it up so you have a tone on any button press as well, and the layout is very easy to work with the calls on the down bit of the centre buttons and volume on the up. Phone book is just right above the call button which is well placed for one hand operation

So far only been a very short distance so can not say how far the range is or what like it will be when outside

I will run through the setup of the phone as I think it is perhaps the best way to explain how some of the features work and some little quirks that perhaps people have done incorrectly and this is why they had problems with all calls being blocked

The menu button has 7 menus

Answer Phone: 4 Sub Menus to set that up (never used it but obvious to set up)

Settings: 9 Sub Menus for things like the ring tones, screen contrast, auto answer on/off, base ringer on/off ..very obvious how to do what you need to do

BT Call features: 5 Sub Menus for things like call diversion, call waiting, Reminder call, and anonymous call reject ...NOTE: you will have to pay to have most of these to be setup or use them ( I am not on BT but have some shown when you check status)

Speed Dial: as it say ...to set up a number as a speed dial

Text message: 6 Sub Menus to write message, inbox, sent, drafts, templates and settings ...never actually used this, so can not comment, but numbers are already set up for it to send and receive so I presume it is a BT service

Clock/ Alarm: Kind of gives it away what you can do in there, date and time setting, alarm and time format 12 or 24 hour

Call Control: 4 Sub Menus Incoming Calls, Parental Control, VIP List, and change pin

First time you are asked to set up a pin so in future you will not get in to the sub menus unless you have the pin (and also used in other features, like to call a mobile or number you have blocked)

There are a few settings in this section, but it is here you will be able to block those nuisance calls, and that is in the "incoming calls" section. In there you have the "block calls" and the "Do not disturb"
Now in the block calls you can block by call type or by number. Call type is for all nuisance call types, International, withheld, No caller ID and there is also one for payphones, easy to setup as you just select allowed or block for each one, then save

By number is where you can see what numbers you have blocked if it is none of the above, easy to do that from the call list, you have an option to block any number that has calledb you

The "Do not Disturb" is perhaps where people have got the settings wrong, here you can set the phone up so it will not ring after a set time and then ring at another set time, or on all the time or off . so just to clarify and make things simple

If you set the "Do not Disturb" to "ON" then the phone will not ring EVER
If you set the "Do not Disturb" to "ON" So long as you set up the VIP list and allowed VIP calls in the setup of the "Do not Disturb" the only calls you will get is from you VIP list

However the actually phone will still light up for all calls, just wont ring unless VIP

If you set the "Do not Disturb" to "Timed" say 8pm start to 8am end, then between these 2 times So long as you set up the VIP list and allowed VIP calls in the setup of the "Do not Disturb" the only calls you will get is from you VIP list

So the VIP list is important if you wish to use that feature and still get calls from friends and family, I did notice that you can only set it so all numbers stored for that person on you VIP list will ring, that is why I on some of my contacts I stored each number as a separate contact

The other feature useful for some will be the parental control. And here you can block people (Teenagers) from using the phone to call international, mobile and premium rate numbers or even all dialled calls. However I blocked premium rate numbers and then the wife got onto me for blocking the telephone banking number (0845) and her catalogue. I also found out that if there is a mobile number saved as a VIP then this can still be called even if you have mobiles blocked, another reason to have some numbers stored as a separate contact

Overall very pleased with the phone and have now ordered another for my elderly mother to stop all these PPI etc callers

5.0 out of 5 stars It works, 12 Feb 2013
This review is from: BT 6500 Cordless DECT Phone with Answer Machine and Nuisance Call Blocking (Electronics)
We have been registered with the TPS for some 20 years. Until about 5 years ago it worked; but now we are persecuted by unwanted calls every day: mainly PPI claims and personal injury claims vultures.

I read about the BT6500 in the newspapers, and thought 'for 45 it is well worth it' - if it works.

In short, it does work: you can block all international calls, and calls where the caller withholds its TN. If you want to permit a call from such a person, the caller just puts 1470 in front of my TN so their number is shown.

What about a telesales company which does disclose its TN? Simple: add that number to your specific list of blocked calls.

If you buy the BT6500 just watch one thing. You MUST have 'Caller ID' activated by your telephone company (BT, Virgin, Sky, or whoever). The instructions with the BT6500 make no mention of this. I was fuming and ready to take it back when I telephoned the BT help line which told me that Caller ID is essential.

In summary: if you want to beat the telesales companies, this is the answer.

2.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant idea but poor build quality, 10 April 2013
David B (South Norfolk) - See all my reviews
I bought a set for my elderly mother who receives regular nuisance calls, mainly 'international'. It serves its purpose reasonably well but does not give the option to stop messages being left for blocked withheld, international, unavailable, and payphone calls. It just stops the phone ringing. Nor can the number of rings be set to 0 for blocked calls which is daft. As blocked calls are not going to be picked up they might just as well go straight to the answerphone!
My mother is hard at hearing and naturally wants to use the phone with speakerphone set to maximum volume. We discovered that when speaker volume is set at more than two bars (maximum is five) serious distortion occurs and the caller's voice breaks up. High speaker volume also introduces distortion into the microphone so that the person at the other hears a slightly distorted voice. A replacement trio pack was ordered but came with the same handset issue which it appears to be a manufacturing design/build problem. BT could not tell me if and when the issue was going to be addressed. So I suggest you steer clear of this product for now if required to be used by someone hard at hearing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Silence has returned!, 2 Aug 2013
This phone has made my house hold so much quieter now that the multitude of phone calls has been stopped!

I used to receive between 5-9 calls a day from 8 AM to 8 PM every single day, from companies wanting my attention to buy a government boilers, loft insulation,, that my pc had a problem or that i needed to claim PPI, the list goes on and on!

This little phone has killed them, simple as that.
As i had just finished setting up the phone, it rang, well rather it lit up... the phone answered it for me, apparently it was from India, you know the type of call where they claim to be Dave or Tom, anyhow this one didn't even get through, the phone simply didn't ring, it lit up and displayed the international number and blocked it.

This happened several more times during the day (phone near the pc) so i watched in fascination as several calls were blocked :P

Ok the basics of it

It small and neat, but comfortable in my huge hands
The base does not take up that much room
Its free of those annoying tangling cords that wrap themselves around anything within grab distance (its cordless)

Easy to set up (look in the box for the instructions) not that you will need them, the phone is very intuitive to use

and IT WORKS, yes it blocks those annoying %%^&**$`s who phone you constantly, from India and elsewhere

I received a few other UK based calls, but added them into the block number list, and .... Silence!

No more nuisance calls to the house, and yes i am registered with the TPS, it seems to make things worse not better being with them, TPS- load of moo poo!

I can say after several days of NOT running to the phone to be greeted by an automated voice or a ...dead line, or some nice man from India wanting to know my personal details that it works, yes, IT WORKS!

I can really recommend this phone, it has made the constant phone calls that are a bane of everyone's lives that much better, i can watch as the phone lights up and tells you to polity go away, and think, Yea money well spent!

If you were like me, and hated the annoying calls to you private home, wanting you to buy this orthat, of inform you of holiday destinations you`d never go to, ppi claims, etc, etc, etc

what are you waiting for, JUST BUY IT, IT WORKS!

4.0 out of 5 stars BT 6500 Cordless DECT Phone with Answer Machine and Nuisance Call Blocker, 28 Feb 2013
Does exactly as the title of the product say's. Its a DECT Phone with an answering machine that blocks all nuisance calls!! Good quality as you would expect from BT, I previoulsy had a Panasonic Cordless DECT triple set and was totally happy with it, however nuisance calls became a problem. I looked around and found that Panasonic sell a DECT Cordless Triple set with Call Blocking feature but the reviews I read stated it would not block International Calls ( nice people from Nigeria etc could still hassle you) so decided not to purchase the Panasonic. The BT 6500 does block ALL calls, you can choose to Block by Call type ( ie: withheld number,International number,no caller ID etc) or by Blocking the number once you have recieved a call. All you do is look at the Received Call list, Choose the number, select BLOCK, save it and hey presto that nuisance number never gets through to your phone or answering machine ever again.When they do ring you,the handset lights up but does not ring and stores it in your received calls list ( you can see how many times they have tried to call you and have the satisfaction of knowing it has given you zero hassle). 4 stars only as the set up can take a bit of work to get everything exaclty the way you want it and the instructions are not as comprehensive as I would have liked, but honestly that is a minor detail. The call blocking feature is simple to set up it's all the other little bits that take a bit of time.