5.0 out of 5 stars A high definition 3D cinema in your own home
Published 19 months ago by Jimbo P

2.0 out of 5 stars Could have been brilliant but....
I waited in anticipation for this projector and purchased it upon release with high hopes, on paper it ticked all the boxes however it hasn't lived up to my expectations.

Published 22 months ago by Mr. M. O'Sullivan

5.0 out of 5 stars A high definition 3D cinema in your own home, 9 Feb 2013
A little background on my home entertainment past - I started with one of the original Pioneer 42" 1080i plasma screens and thought it was wonderful. Last Christmas i replaced the Pioneer with a 42" 1080p 3D Panasonic TX-P42GT30B, which blew me away. However, I had been secretly craving a home projector for years. Until now I didn't think that the quality/price calculation made sense for me and when 3D TVs started to get popular I thought I would wait because 3D projectors couldn't be too far away. A year ticked by and I started to see 1080p 3D projectors with a lot of brightness getting to a price that was within reach. I almost went for the Optoma HD33 but then Epson released the EH-TW6100W and I realised that I could save a lot of time and money by not having to route HDMI cables to it, and that made the additional cost seem worth it. OK, enough with the background.

The unit is pretty chunky but beautifully and solidly made. I find the design attractive and the white colour will go nicely with my ceiling when I have it mounted (tomorrow morning). With the WiHD wireless transmitter the only cable I needed to worry about was power, so it will be a neat installation. I have temporarily installed it on a shelf and it requires a small amount of vertical keystone correction. I understand this is digital and whilst it works well, if you are very fussy then you'll probably want to avoid keystone correction because you can faintly see the true edge of the image vs the keystone corrected edge of the image. This is very minor, barely noticeable and very faint, so if you need to use keystone then I doubt it will bother you. I have it setup to project an image onto a wall with an image diagonal of 180" and my sofa is about 3m from that wall. The image size gives a truly cinematic and very immersive experience. My living room has a south facing bay window overlooking the wall I'm projecting onto, I have roller blinds designed to let a lot of light in but give some privacy and cut out direct sunlight, so they are pretty useless for making a nice dark room. In the middle of the day with the low winter sun filling my living room the image is watchable but not vivid and glorious. On a day with rain and clouds the image is much better. At twilight and beyond the image is eye poppingly bright, crisp, vivid and beautiful. To combat the light I ordered some custom blackout roller blinds, which came to £250 for a set of four and they will no doubt make a sufficient impact on the light level to make the image superb regardless of lighting conditions outside.

The WiHD connection automatically set itself up immediately and I also tested the HDMI pass through and found my TV worked fine through the WiHD box. My first test was Top Gun with my Mission MX3s turned up quite loud. I was gobsmacked. In retrospect the quality of image offered by the Top Gun BluRay is actually very poor, so it isn't a great demonstration of the incredible resolution and sharpness that this projector is capable of. Despite that I soon realised that this machine actually gave me my own cinema at home and all my worries and doubts about home projectors instantly disintegrated. Next up was Drive and I got the full impact; the cinema is such a different experience from watching a film on a TV - the image size sucks you into the film, immerses you and prevents you from distraction, so the effect is much more powerful. Later in the weekend I put on Avatar 3D and that is simply stunning. The clarity, sharpness, brightness and depth of the 3D image is out of this world (sorry!). All my friends who have spent a few minutes in front of Avatar on this projector have been immediately trying to figure out how to rearrange their living room to accommodate a projector.

Downsides: digital keystone correction isn't perfect but it's very good. To me this doesn't matter because I'm ceiling mounting it but to some it may. Don't expect the image to be as vivid on a sunny day if you have a south facing living room with blinds that cut out almost no brightness but remember that this is easily correctable for a couple of hundred pounds with blackout blinds or linings for your curtains. The cooling fan sound level is pretty much negligible, it's not that it's silent but I haven't noticed it once when watching something, I only notice it before or after watching something. Don't try and watch the DVD (as opposed to BluRay) of Blackhawk Down...the 1080p upscaling combined with a 180" screen does not make for good results. In fact most SD content looks a bit miserable - solution - don't watch standard def content on a giant screen!!

Upsides: I'm projecting onto a wall that was painted with normal white matte emulsion several years ago the result is a beautiful, vivid, sharp, rich, glorious image. 3D is superb. The wireless HD is a brilliant feature and this sold me on the Epson. Everyone who has experienced my projector has been shocked and changed their opinions of home cinema projectors. My TV has been relegated to a corner and is now rarely watched.

Overall - everyone considers me to be a harsh critic and an obsessive perfectionist, so the 5 stars I am awarding are hard won by this incredible machine.

4.0 out of 5 stars Up and Running in Minutes, 8 Feb 2013
This projector is easy to setup and use particularly since the wireless HDMI is "plug and play". No configuration required.
The picture quality is good out of the box but with a bit of tweaking it can be improved. I like a very sharp picture and once you find the Advanced adjustments option in the menus it can be adjusted to your liking.
I am using it at approximately 15 feet from a white wall and the picture size (diagonal) is 92" approx. In subdued light ie one table lamp on in the room you really need to select the "Lounge" option which brightens up the picture but increases the noise from the projector. In "cinema" mode the projector is very quiet though.
Unfortunately the optical zoom is manual so if you want to adjust the picture size to maximum for both normal 16:9 TV broadcasts and letterbox widescreen films you need to have access to the front lens adjustment. This is Ok if you are using it mounted on a table but a bit of a problem if it is ceiling mounted.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent 3D projector, 24 July 2013
As good as 3D TV but 4-5 times larger picture! Bought it after a long research as a treat for myself (and family!). Projectors were either rubbish or very expensive, until I came across Epson wireless 3D! I'm very pleased with my shopping! No cables or wiring. My blue ray, home cinema, sky, nintendo Wii are connected by their HDMI cables to its wireless box (by the TV table out of the way). I didn't have to fix the projector on the wall or ceiling yet as it works perfectly well on the coffee table!
It comes with only one 3D glass which means you have to buy few others at a high price (£75 each!). The generic glasses apparently don't work well with it. They should reduce the price to make it more practical.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb, 17 April 2013
This review is from: Epson EH-TW6100W Full HD 1080p 3LCD 3D Wireless Projector (Electronics)
Upgraded from an old NEC projector for new set up projecting onto 200" screen. Superb! Blown away by brightness and sharpness (especially from blu-ray). Extremely quiet too. Very highly recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars Amazing 3D and great 2D, 9 May 2014
I've owned this projector for nearly a year and a half now so have had a lot of use and testing. I'll start by saying this projector does give a stunning and incredibly bright image. The advent of 4k is going to make things even better but for now this is pretty much as clear as it gets for the price.

At the moment I have it placed about 3.5m from the wall and I get an image of about 100 inches which is fine.

I chose this one over any others after extensive research for the full HD resolution and to avoid the DLP rainbow effect. The 3D was a bonus, but not my main drive for getting this one over any others.

The 2D image is excellent. As mentioned, it can be very bright on it's highest setting (and it really does allow some daytime viewing with slightly pulled curtains) but this can be toned down to taste. There's only one caveat - the black level. It is more of a dark blue/purple - it's not too bad and a lot will depend on your room set up. I'm projecting onto a white wall with all white walls around - the furthest from perfect you could get! So if it's not too bad in that environment it should be fine if you've got surrounding walls in a darker non-reflective colour. The not-so-deep blacks is a common issue with LCD - when I bought the projector (beginning of 2013) there was no way to get better unless prepared to spend double the amount. From other tests I saw it did also beat the DLPs in terms of colour vibrancy and punch. I think with some tweaking and an optimum environment you could get an overall very good mix of deeper blacks alongside the brilliant colours.

The 3D image is excellent - and any issues with the blue/purple blacks disappears. Superman Returns really blew us away on this, as did Prometheus (and many others in a long list!). Minimal crosstalk can ocassionaly rear it's ugly head for me, but I've watched a few movies with different people and asked them if they ever see it - the universal answer is no. So It might just be me - either way it doesn't effect my enjoyment at all and I would say I see it probably 1% of the time if that.

Interestingly I used the 2D to 3D conversion just for fun and actually use it more and more. As long as you don't expect major pop-out effects, it is a pleasantly involving experience. I keep the 3D depth and general settings low, just enough to give a sense of 'being-there'.

Watching a bluray vs a dvd does make quite a bit of difference in image quality, but then that's to be expected at the size. The difference simply in general terms is this - blurays can inspire a 'wow' and you see details you've never seen before. Dvd's are just fine on the whole - you can add noise reduction in the projector settings to taste if the grain bothers you.

In terms of gaming - I've played Killzone 3 online quite a bit and I have had no problems fragging other players exactly as intended! I also play Battlefield 3, Gran Turismo and various other more recent games wihout issue. There was no lag at all that I detected. I'm sure others might disagree on a technical basis and talk about milliseconds of this and that but my real-world experience has been great - I've had no issues off or online.

Overall a top projector. A very happy user.

2.0 out of 5 stars Could have been brilliant but...., 15 Nov 2012

On the plus side the 2300 lumens is certainly good, I can watch this during the day without having to close my blinds, the brightness is very good. The image on screen for non-HD content isn't great, up close shots are good but distance shots, such as you get when watching football, aren't great, it lacks clarity and seems a bit blurry, however HD content is extremely good regardless and I'm very pleased with that. The colours are deep and bright, a bit too much at first (you can change this of course as there are other settings) until you adapt and get used to it, but a definite plus. The black levels are great for anyone but an expert with a keen eye for such a thing, no complaints here from me. When you first switch the projector on the fans tend to go into overdrive then quickly settle down, the noise level is then very low which is excellent. You will hear the familiar clicking noises projectors make on some scene changes etc but only during a quite period in whatever it is you're watching but it isn't that distracting, so I'm very pleased indeed with the noise levels. The wireless feature works very well, the manual states that the wireless box must be facing the projector, I have mine to the side of the projector and it works fine, a very good piece of kit. Connecting to a PC worked well, for games I could read small text effortlessly which can be a problem for many projectors, but not this one.

On the down side the 2D to 3D conversion is pretty poor, I'm a laymen with this so I can't make a comparison with any other 2D to 3D conversion units, but still I'm unimpressed, it's a feature I gave a good go but won't be using again. I haven't tried the natural 3D feature yet so I can't express an opinion on that. The split screen feature doesn't always work, in fact I've yet to get it to work despite trying multiple output sources, the output from one source will always show up but the output from the other source won't. I've also found that when I connect my Blu-Ray player and my Freeview box using HDMI the Freeview box stops working and the picture being sent to the projector by my Blu-Ray player keeps cutting out although the sound stays on, I thought my Blu-Ray player may be faulty but no it's a problem with the projector, so despite the projector being able to connect two wired HDMI devices, and five when using wireless, I can't connect the two aforementioned devices at the same time! I've also noticed when disconnecting from the wireless transmitter I've had problems getting the projector to recognise this, I select either the HDMI1 or HDMI2 wired options but the projector insists on staying on the WirelessHD screen even when the wireless transmitter is unplugged, a real pain.

Now despite saying so many great things about this projector and only a few poor things I still only give it two stars. Why? Simple, the screen size is disappointing, the reason for buying a home projector is to bring the home cinema feeling into your home, so that means an extra big screen. To understand this my previous projector, located in the exact same place as this new projector, gave me a wonderful 120 inch screen size! I was promised by Epson before purchasing that I would get 120 inches, unfortunately I don't, I get 90 inches, yes it's still a big screen but losing 30 inches is a big step down and it's taking some getting used to, it's very disappointing indeed. Worse still when playing Blu-Rays or DVD's the screen size drops further still to around 70 inches, just ridiculous and inexcusable! Having spoken to Epson about this they claimed that the size of the screen was limited by that sent down the HDMI cables from the output sources, when I pointed out that I use exactly the same output sources with this projector as I did with my old one where I got a 120 inch screen size they changed their tune and said that it was down to the projector throw, so basically they gave me incorrect information regarding screen size prior to purchasing and it just loses so much impact because of it, I've lost the home cinema experience I once had, I'm genuinely very disappointed by this! There is an aspect button that gives you the options of Auto, Normal, Full, Zoom, and Wide but they do not work with HDMI which is pretty much everything I connect to, and so will most everyone else today! This aspect button only works when connecting to a PC, totally pointless! Also there is no option to view in 4:3 aspect. I would urge you not to accept the size range, which is too broad to be of use anyway, from the Epson website or from their staff with any value, you have to see this projector in operation before purchasing to make sure you're getting the screen size you want and expect, I didn't do this and I really regret it.

Due to the aforementioned screen size issues, and that the picture on screen for non-HD content isn't great, I would suggest considering other HD projectors if that's specifically what you're looking for, as opposed to a HD and 3D projector. Given what you get I do believe this projector is very overpriced, a more realistic price point would be around £800 to £1000 and there are many very good HD projectors within that range and cheaper, this projector simply isn't worth the huge extra for 3D and wireless ability, again I urge that you view before buying.

4.0 out of 5 stars A must ! You wont be dissapointed, 24 April 2014
Excellent verstaile machine- why didnt it get 5 stars?.. its quite big but full of punch mind you! You wont be dissapointed and the wireless is excellent and stable!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great projector, 20 Mar 2014
I have had this projector for a few days now and I am very pleased with it. The picture is bright and the 3D is very convincing. The wireless feature makes sources simple to connect and the added bonus of optical output means I can connect to my old surround sound system.

I project straight on to a white painted wall and the picture is about 120" wide. The manual has a table showing the minimum/maximum sizes, given the screen distance.

The only problem, for me, was that the description clearly says 2 pair of glasses and only one was supplied. Amazon customer service were superb. I spoke to them and Saturday evening and a pair arrived on Monday Morning.