5.0 out of 5 stars For the perfect crew cut
Published 17 months ago by Get Real

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, but I've used better...
These clippers work just fine. They charge quickly and the battery lasts well, but they are light weight and plastic'y and don't have a great `quality' feel to them, even though Philips items generally are very good and last well.

Published 15 months ago by Mike J

5.0 out of 5 stars For the perfect crew cut, 28 Mar 2013
Get Real "Butterfly_Brand" (Cambridge) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Philips QC5390/15 Hair Clipper (discontinued by manufacturer) (Personal Care)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have little hair left these days. But the hair I do have left seems to grow twice as fast as it did. This can result in a rather unpleasant Phil Collins doppelganger situation which is not a good look. Even though my hair is so thin the hairdresser doesn't give a discount vs someone with a full head of hair which I've always thought to be very unfair. So now I have this. I can give myself a number 1 cut in less than 2 minutes. It is lightweight and rechargeable & cuts like a dream. I use it monthly to stay looking slick and with each cut I save myself 12 so this pays for itself in just a few months. Delighted with it. Hate hairdressers. Hate waiting reading 2 year old magazines. Hate talking about my holidays. Hate listening to their inane chatter. Get yourself one of these you won't look back.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 8 Mar 2013
Paul Hodgson "www.bof.uk.com" (West Yorkshire, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
If I could get away with a one word review then I've used it in the title; but I can't.

My wife runs a hair salon business and in fact this item was requested for her to try within the salon but also for her mobile business. In her words...

for many years I have and will continue to use the Wahl range of professional haircare products. For salon use they're robust, well engineered and last for years and so it was with great interest that I have been able to try this Philips product.

Overall the product is a good tool from anything from tending to your beard, moustache, eyebrows and of course the hair on your head. The feel in the hand, otherwise known as ergonomics, were good. I can happily hold the trimmer for some length of time. What concerns me most though and this is from a professional user of these tools is that for sustained use in a salon I'm not convinced that it will stand the test of time. For occasional use, say one or twice per month, I am certain that this product will last you many years. The construction of the add-on items like cutting height and trimming tools are adequate but in a busy salon I wouldn't expect these items to last too long.

From the perspective of a consumer, this is a superb product and could heartily recommend it for home use...would have been nice to have had a carry bag included.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, but I've used better..., 15 May 2013
Mike J (London) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)

They adjust in 40x1mm steps from 0.5mm to 41mm (nothing to about 1.5 inches) and the adjustment mechanism looks good and works well, better than many I've seen.

My biggest complaint was they felt a little `sharp' on the skin when used without any of the attachments. This is due to the cutting head not having a continuous sole plate as many trimmers do.

I would say, if your primary use for these clippers is to shave hair to a length, I'd give 4 stars and advise you to buy. If your primary use is as a trimmer to leave stubble, I'd look elsewhere.

4.0 out of 5 stars A cut above the rest, 25 Feb 2013
Quiverbow (Kent, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
In the past I've nipped down Toni's for a quick `number 4' (I hesitated at putting `number 2' in case it was misconstrued) every six weeks or so, not so much to have my hair cut but to get rid of the grey bits. With this, I no longer have to pay him a visit.

Though you can use it on yourself, this might be easier if someone cut your hair as, unlike other trimmers, the head doesn't swivel. This comes with two attachments, one from 3mm to 22mm and the other 23mm to 42mm (without either attachment, this cuts at 0.5mm, which is fine for men to trim their stubble and women to trim...well, you get the idea), a small double ended brush, and a mains adaptor, which takes about an hour to fully charge and lasts about the same length of time when in use but mine worked straight from the box.

Ergonomically, this is easy on the hand with the on/off button right in the middle. Below that is a wheel that is used to change the length settings, which is on a digital scale beneath. With a pleasant blue light, it has an arrow either side of the scale making it look like one of those close ups in a film where the temperature gauge rises to near critical point, and you don't need to switch it on to see it light up, as turning the wheel will do this. Change the head and the next half of the scale lights up. (No light is on when neither attachment is, er, attached.) A red light shows when it needs charging. It's also light to hold, weighing in at 6oz (200gm).

The cutting head can be flushed under the tap, which makes for easy cleaning. If you want to cut your own hair, you won't go too wrong with this. The price may seem a bit on the high side, but it's something that will actually pay for itself within time. It's a shame a pouch wasn't included but that's a minor quibble.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not good for a really short buzz cut., 23 May 2013
I like to keep my hair really short, maybe give it a 6mm buzz cut once every 10 days. The problem with these clippers in letting me do that is the plastic guide. For one, it flexes too much; you can't apply much pressure before it flexes sideways and alters the cut length. So I ended up with stripes over my head. Secondly, it barely gets down to the length I want. I'm used clippers with fixed length changeable guides and will stick with them in future.

5.0 out of 5 stars great product, 2 Dec 2013
great clippers, super easy to use and clean after use. very light as well. I ams super happy from this purchase

2.0 out of 5 stars Not suitable for wavy or curly hair., 22 Aug 2013
After reading the previous reviews, I thought that this product would be an amazing evolution in hair clipping technology. I was wrong. This product is not suitable for people with wavy or curly hair. I still get a quicker and more accurate result with my 6 year old cordless (albeit dying) Remington.

5.0 out of 5 stars For those looking for a nice clean professional look., 6 Aug 2013
In terms of what it offers the lowest it can trim your sides and back to a number 1 which is measured 3mm on the guide. The attachment comb although is plastic and feels rather cheap. But none the less it gives you a nice clean professional look. You can use it as wireless or plugged. In terms of detail it isn't that advanced but good product altogether.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good - a cut above the others, 16 July 2013
Easy to use, convenient to have at hand in the bathroom for a quick trim. The battery seems to last for a good number of uses. A good buy.

4.0 out of 5 stars Thumbs up, mostly, from a professional, 30 Mar 2013
uncle barbar (Essex, England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
As a hairdresser, I have been using professional corded hair clippers to clipper my husband's hair. However, I was very impressed with these. The box came with just a charger lead and a foil brush, despite the instructions including pictures of scissors, comb and travel case.

The clippers are a similar size and weight to a regular hairdresser's clippers. There are just two clipper guards: large and small. Small begins at clipper size number 1 (3mm) and goes up to clipper size number 7 (22 mm). You may not actually need to use the larger size clipper guard unless you like to wear your hair longer since that starts at clipper size number 8 (25 mm), goes through to clipper size 12 (37.5 mm) and carries on to a length of 42 mm - I am not aware there is a traditional clipper size number for that long a length but, suffice to say, it is quite long for clippered hair.

The guards clip on easily enough, however they do look a little more fragile than a regular plastic clipper guard and I imagine that there might be a chance it would fracture rather than bounce if you dropped it too many times onto a stone floor. I do not know how easily or how expensive the guards are to replace. The big advantage to this clipper is that it is cordless and does recharge very quickly. This means that if you want to, you can use it in the garden (weather permitting) to avoid hair clippings in the house. The charge lasts an hour and is easily long enough to clipper a full head of hair.

The electronic setting is easy to use, which is as well because the enclosed instructions are minimal. On the clipper, there is a digital display in millimetres. It begins with traditional clipper size number 1 (3mm). Here is a conversion chart from traditional clipper size to millimetre to make sure you select the right length!

1 = 3 mm
6 = 19 mm
7 = 22 mm
8 = 25 mm
12 = 37.5 mm

Therefore, if you normally ask for a 2 at the sides and a 4 on top, you would set the clippers to number 6 setting for the sides and number 13 setting for the top.

The clippers give a good clean cut very similar to professional clippers and the head and its inner workings are washable under the tap. My two criticisms are that clipper seems almost to shred the hair making tiny bits fly about which get onto your clothes and you can end up breathing them in. Also, the clipper head quicly gets bunged up with clippings and needs cleaning off regularly. Oh, and, for my money, I would have liked a pouch, just a cheap fabric pouch to keep the clipper and guards in. As for clippering round the ear, I would suggest carefully using a pair of hairdresser's scissors for this part - not always easy if working from a mirror, however. All in all I would recommend these as all-round excellent clippers. (aunty barbar)