5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, easy to read treatise on bipolar
Published 14 months ago by Porlock

1.0 out of 5 stars Not very good
I can't remember much about this but far too many people are jumping on the bi-polar band-wagon. Not very well written.
Published 8 months ago by Jane Cooper

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, easy to read treatise on bipolar, 2 May 2013
This review is from: Strictly Bipolar (Paperback)
This is a great book. Bipolar is the great unthought about illness of the twenty first century. Treatment for psychosis and trauma is much better than it used to be, but people just obsess about genes and medication with bipolar. That's not to say meds can't be really useful, but there must be more going on than that. And also bipolar has the lowest compliance rates with medication around, and the compliance groups aren't increibly effective, so we need to think as a society what's going on here! Leader argues that we are in an 'age of bipolar' now. There is a beautifully argued first section basically saying that the category of bipolar is getting expanded more and more tosuch an extent that the most acute horrible mad suicidal experiences aren't taken as seriously because they are put in a catch all with people who have mood variability much like we all have. Leader then goes on to talk about some famous people who have published biographies of their experience to say they provide the real evidence. He suggests that loss and transgenerational experience need to be incorporated into a history and that this can allow us to think of what's going on a bit more. I think its a treatise about humanising and personalising bipolar experiences, and reallyl listening to a patients story. Its brilliant and like reading a novel in places.

I am a great fan of Darian Leader's writing, though sometimes the Lacanian bits can be a bit heavy on the brain. Perhaps because it's so short, this is really easy to read. I devoured it in one sitting! And it's super cheap. I recommend this heartedly!

5.0 out of 5 stars The book I have been waiting for...., 13 Aug 2013
Gill "Gill" (Southend-on-sea, Essex) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Strictly Bipolar (Paperback)
I recommend this book to anyone who suffers from bipolar, or has a friend or family member who does. It is the first book I have read when I could truly say that the writer has hit the nail on the head with what I have lived with for the past 35 years. I have bought two copies and lent it to all those near to me....even my boss has now read it and said it was fascinating,

I will leave it to you to decide..but thanks to this book my family has finally opened up and talked with my about what has happened in our lives.

4.0 out of 5 stars interesting, 25 Aug 2013
Susan O'connor "book lover" (Lancashire, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Strictly Bipolar (Paperback)
I chose this book to help me understand this condition as my daughter has it. It opened my eyes to the fact that lots of things can trigger it, not neccessarily a trauma and its things you wouldnt connect it to. I found his terminology a bit baffling at times, but the comparisons in the book was very helpful. The main thing the book taught me was to understand why my daughter acts the way she does at times and by talking about the book with her she has opened up about her bipolar a lot more to me, so for that reason alone it has been very helpful.

4.0 out of 5 stars Refreshingly concise, 21 Jun 2013
This review is from: Strictly Bipolar (Paperback)
A weighty subject treated in precis, and with a highly readable style. Nobody could get bogged down with this.
My guess is that readers looking for this subject might want something more meaty, but you could read this at a single sitting, and know whether it's worth you making a bigger investment.

5.0 out of 5 stars An insightful read!, 9 Jan 2014
This review is from: Strictly Bipolar (Paperback)
Thank you for this book. It is a well written little book full of insight. I read it in one sitting as I just could not put it down!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Bipolar insight, 8 Jan 2014
This review is from: Strictly Bipolar (Paperback)
Darian Leader's 'Strictly Bipolar' is an excellent book.

It unravels the myths surrounding manic depression and its over-diagnosis in modern psychiatry . But is also sensitive in outlook and Leader, a distinguised London based pscyhoanalyst,fully understands the horrible 'highs' and 'lows' of the illness and how it makes sufferers' lifes extremely challenging for most of the time.

It is written in a light, often humourous style and is relatively short. Whilst very well informed he does not get bogged down with too much medical/technical detail that could only be understood by a psychiatrist.

Thoroughly recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars GREAT!, 13 Aug 2013
This review is from: Strictly Bipolar (Paperback)
This is a really great read, interesting and insightful. The writing style is also really easy to follow a GREAT read for anyone interested in mental health and understanding Bipolar or mania. A really interesting book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Elegant and brilliant, 30 July 2013
Victoria Field "fal" (Canterbury, Kent, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Strictly Bipolar (Paperback)
This is a masterpiece of brevity but is a powerful argument for the way human beings are story-making creatures and that our mental and bodily states reflect those stories. Darian Leader makes sense of the roller-coaster behaviour of bipolar as having logic, meaning and idiosyncratic aspects. As well as personal history, he also argues for cultural factors - that we live in a bipolar age where a common sense of historical patterns is lost. The swift move to diagnosis, medication and standardized forms of treatment means the subtle and meaningful aspects of the condition are lost.

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential Reading!, 12 Jun 2013
jan s (Norfolk, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Strictly Bipolar (Paperback)
I cannot praise this book too highly. I consider it essential reading for all those with Bipolar illness, their families and friends. It is very enlightening. I noticed that it was called a Penguin "special" and was inexpensive to buy - that is because it is very brief. Which although quite "academic" in content ,makes it very readable.

I have read many books on this subject - this is one of the best.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very enjoyable read., 5 Jun 2013
M. Driver "Matt Driver" (Truro, Cornwall) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Strictly Bipolar (Kindle Edition)
This is a great book which offers many different arguments and is constantly challenging your viewpoint. I would recommend this to anyone interested in mental health.

Strictly Bipolar