on 16 October 2013
Every cyclists mission at one point is to do LEJOG and I was quite looking forward to this book to see how he coped on his own. Starts very well, amazed that with the lack of cycling fitness he manages to ride quite a lot of miles everyday but once he starts talking to his teddy and himself. Well at that point I though "this ain't all that". I found it silly that he was having a discussion and at points banter/argument with the teddy and I just thought it silly. I didn't finish the book but I'm glad that buying this book has helped him buy a pint at the pub.
on 1 November 2015
I have had this book for quite a while, and as normal I buy books and they get left on the shelf, but decided today would be the day when I start to read more and to learn more about adventures and have to say am so glad I did, 7 hours later and have just finished it, it has to be the first book ever that I have read non stop from cover to cover, that's not to say it is a short book I just didn't want to put it down. As someone who cycles and has been put off for a while by the negative stories of some cyclists and not knowing where I fit into the cycling world, it is so refreshing to read such a down to earth book from a down to earth guy/cyclist, who just cycled to achieved a dream of cycling from one end of the country to the other. It is an engaging read and I really liked the random thinking when cycling and am so glad I am not the only one who does this. It has given me a renewed outlook on my own cycling journeys and has washed away all the negative conversations I have had with others who would rather just tell you the bad side so you don't see it as an easy thing to do, (like they are doing you some kind of favour by being so negative). I love how this book was written, it has made me realise that my future cycling/adventure journeys are not anyone else's journey but they are/will be my own and and no cyclist has the same journey, so what if i can't cycle well, so what if I have to walk up the hills to start with (I always felt like such a failure when I couldn't get up a hill). This book has given me such a down to earth outlook on cycling that it has inspired me to get my bike out of the shed and get back on it again and get out there and make my own adventures. Thank you Sean Conway for such a brilliant book which has inspired someone in later life to begin her journeys again, am planning my first 1000 mile cycle across country (UK) next year (2016) just as a starter. Will also be finding myself a little mascot to keep me amused as loved the Little flying cow, think mine will have to be a monkey.
on 9 June 2015
I am not a long distance, nor even short distance cyclist. I bought this book because I had previously read Hell and High Water which I thoroughly enjoyed and as I find Sean's blogs and tweets very entertaining, I thought I would see what this book was like and I wasn't disappointed.

This was a definite feel good book from start to finish. It regularly had me laughing out loud, especially the conversations he had with LFC, they were hilarious. (I am really going to be careful reading any of Sean's books on the bus as I am starting to get some funny looks laughing at 7:30 in a morning on a work day)

I really like Sean's writing style, he could almost be sitting in the pub talking about his adventures over a pint. I particularly liked Sean's approach to the adventure in that it wasn't his intention to break any records, it was more about learning about the British countryside and having a good time and meeting people. As with his other book it was really lovely to read about the people he met who made things easier for him and were supportive, whether it was free food, donations to his charity or being smuggled into somewhere to sleep.

Sean's observations and descriptions of the people he met were really entertaining as were his running battle with the elements and the "fun" he had camping with his tiny tent ! He certainly is a hardy, determined soul and having read this book I can understand why it was such a life changing journey for him.

I can't wait to read Sean's book about his run from JOG to LE, I am sure that it will be another excellent read.
on 16 February 2013
I read 80% of the book but finally could not bring myself to complete it. The first chapters were great but I felt the author became bored or lazy in the latter chapters; so they became dull to read.
on 12 September 2013
This book wasn't for me. That says as much about me as it does the book though. I didn't like the cow monologue... it wasn't funny. The tone of writing was very young and the commentary on what the writer was experiencing seemed insubstantial. I didn't really relate to the view point of the writer. It felt a bit like listening to a teenager talking on their mobile. Good on the chap for getting it together and writing a book and it seems many people enjoy it. Just not me.
on 5 September 2013
Sean uses the word actually rather a lot and manages to make his 'epic adventure' seem very mundane. There are far better Lejog books out there.
on 9 May 2015
I throughly enjoyed Sean's honest writing style of this his account of cycling from Lands End to John O'Groats. It's refreshing to read of someone taking a 'see where it takes me' approach rather than every aspect clinically researched and prepared. It's a free flowing style of writing, uncomplicated and in keeping with his approach to the adventure and reflected in his personality. If you are looking for an indepth, mile by mile account of nutritional intake, bike management and cycling technique then this might not be for you but if you like your adventures to be ad-hoc then give it a whirl.
on 16 February 2013
Land's End to John O'Groats: The ride that started it all
what a lovely story to read, you take the journey with the author.
a very hard to put down book, and well worth the money.
You share his thoughts and feelings as he rides, on the high roads and byeways, what the places are like and nearly getting blown off the road by gusts from passing lorries.
Fantastic price and lots of pages to read.
only one tiny gripe` I did get a little `cheesed off` with his conversing with `little cow`.....
But overall very happy with book.
on 28 May 2014
As an Avid cycle nut and adventure seeker I really enjoyed this book, his outlook and spontaneity of the the ride make it all the more interesting than someone who had planned it for years! It's not for everyone as you can see in the comments, but you can't please them all. I look forward to reading the next round the world adventure, actually I off to buy it now :-)
on 28 April 2013
Not a bad read, but not an outstanding one either. I understand his next book is much better in writing style. Its a nice story that I could relate too (as a cyclist who camps) but there were a few typo's and the conversations with a stuffed cow wore a bit thin for me personally. Is it worth reading, yes, I think it is. It just could of been so much better though.