Format: DVD|Change

on 13 January 2014
Like all blu-rays when compared to watching the DVD version or an old video one watching this film is a clearer, more detailed experience and in many cases it's like looking at the film for the first time as the film stock used to transfer to Blu-Ray is usually "worked on" first to get as good a copy as possible.
My taste in films may not be the same as yours so if you want to know about this film I suggest that you use the internet to find 2 or 3 reviews by experienced film reviewers and make your judgment whether to buy this film or not.
I have watched approx 600 films in my life and have a collection of over 200 Blu-Ray's and I rate this one 8/10.
on 1 February 2009
...a wonderful "hillbilly" take on Homer's Odyssey. The characters are beautifully portrayed in way that is as timeless as it is postmodern. It is, like the epic it poem it recreates, a fable -- about human perseverance and humour, about greed, disappointment and betrayal; about the ties that bind both friends and thieves. It is also about hope with a capital "H", and about those audacious enough to keep trying. And finally, the music is absolutely wonderful -- I bought the album and all four of us, from 11 to 52, put it on our iPods and love it.
on 5 March 2013
This US Import version was the best version of blu ray i have ever owned. The sound and picture was excellent. I was blown away by it. The picture was crystal clear, sharp and true likeness. Region 2 blu ray sound is quiet where as this region 1 was superb, the sound blew you away. Actually felt like you are in the cinema looking at the movie. I watched this on my pc so i can just imagine what it would be like with surround sound and a 40 in tv!
on 22 March 2001
I haven't actually seen this on DVD yet, but it is the best film I saw at the cinema in 2000 (better than American Beauty).A visually, comically and intellectually brilliant film,with innumerable deft touches.Even if you like your films simple,the humour inherent will draw you in.Some of the photography is corruscating;and the general experience harks back to the olden days of musicals with bouncing energy,as in so many Coen films.
on 24 April 2001
The Coen brothers are without doubt amongst the great movie storytellers. Following on from Fargo and The Big Lebowski comes a continuation of their slightly surreal humour, placing Homer's Odyssey in the American south during the 1930's. This film is a must see and is absolutley amazing from start to finish. "I'm a Dapper Dan man; don't care to much for Fop!"
on 29 March 2009
O Brother, Where Art Thou? (2 Disc Special Edition) [2000] [DVD]
This is one of my favourite films, everything about it is brilliant - music, story, scenery, actors. It is novel, quirky and memorable; I have watched it many times - it is always entertaining and amusing - and in between I frequently listen to the music cd! An absolute classic!
on 5 January 2004
'We thought you was a toad'
Firstly, forget everything you've heard about this film being based on Homer's Odyssey - that's one of the Coen brother's famous red herrings (like the one about Fargo being based on a true story). This movie picks up where Preston Sturges' 'Sullivan's Travels' left off; (Sullivan's Travels is about a film director who wants to make a socially responsible film called 'Oh Brother Where Art Thou', but after an episode on a chain gang decides that comedy is an equally valid art form).
We follow the exploits of three chain gang escapees of differing stupidity as they seek some buried treasure. Hot on their heels are the KKK, a one eyed bible salesman (John Goodman)and the Warden of the chain gang - the very devil incarnate.
This movie is FUN -It's Clooney's best performance to date and has Goodman and John Turturro on top form as well. A lot of people under-rate this film, but for sheer smile-on-your-face, feel-good, toe-tapping entertainment there are few better.
Buy it, watch it, then watch Sullivan's Travels and this miserable world begins to make a little sense.
on 6 February 2013
I saw this film on tv a few months back and I liked it so much that I had to go out and buy it, Clooney is at top form in this hit movie where you come across several friends, enemies and laughs along the way, if you don't see this film then I guess you will never know how good it is. Also the delivery was extremely quick considering it was a U.S import
on 20 April 2015
Despite being a Coen brothers film with George Clooney I could not get with this film. This is possibly because I am not so conversant with The Odyssey and so did not recognise the symbolism. I also found the broad Southern States accent very difficult to understand at times. I see this was labelled as Disc 1 -PLEASE DO NOT SEND DISC 2.
on 15 January 2003
If you like "old timey" music from the South of the US combined with the artistic views of life only the Coen brothers can give us, this is one classic film. All "the usual characters" from the Coen past films are here, along with this "thang" about combing hair and floating dogs. Wonderful script.