4.0 out of 5 stars London horror
This was an enjoyable read. What begins as a story of undercover policing among London's organised criminals (tensions in the team, possible betrayal, budget pressures) suddenly takes another - and darker twist - as the chief suspect is killed in a particularly gruesome way (not a spoiler - this is all over the book's blurb). The key officers from Operation Goodfellow...
Published 22 months ago by D. Harris

3.0 out of 5 stars THE SWEENEY take on hell
DI Quill arrests Rob Toshack (the head of a crime organisation with an uncanny ability to stay ahead of the police and absorb its competitors without turf wars) on the same night when Toshack's been behaving strangely - taking his crew on a house to house search for someone unknown. With the help of Sefton and Costain - two undercover officers who've infiltrated...
Published 21 months ago by I Read, Therefore I Blog

‹ Previous | 1 2 314 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Read, 22 Feb 2014
Baldpagan "Baldpagan" (Cambridgeshire, England) - See all my reviews
Brilliantly written, The prose & style had me riveted from page one. I can't wait for the next one, may it be soon.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 1 Feb 2014
Whittso (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: London Falling (James Quill 1) (Kindle Edition)
I must admit, I was struggling to get a handle on this for the first few pages, but at a certain point it just clicked and then it was just as addictive as some of the reviews suggest.

I really loved it. Like Neverwhere, but grittier and rawer.

4.0 out of 5 stars Police procedural with supernatural elements, the start of what promises to be a great series. Recommended., 16 Jan 2014
Rob Toshack is a crime lord that has somehow come to run pretty much all the crime in London. DI Quill heads the operation to bring Toshack to justice & there are two undercover cops in the organisation helping to do so. When Toshack is caught however things take a strange turn and Quill, the two undercover cops and an analyst are drawn into a supernatural world. Originally a TV script (and now optioned for TV) there are a few issues with the book that may put off other readers. The characters are a bit stock at the beginning for example and would be better differentiated on screen I guess, with visual clues. There is also some exposition provided in flashback that could be seen as being a bit clumsy. The writing, the story and the second half of the book are more than good enough for me to forgive this. The hints and glimpses of the world underneath (or above?) London are great and the plot, once it kicks in, cracks along at a good pace with our four protagonists growing as we understand more as we flit from one to another POV. There were points where the book gave me a visceral emotional reaction including a shiver up the spine and a solid "woah" from one reveal. To me that's a sign of a good book. There is some clever stuff in here and it gets the balance right between revealing enough to get a handle on what's going on whilst concealing enough to keep you intrigued and wanting to follow on. Good job really as there is a sequel due in May this year. I for one am eagerly awaiting it.

5.0 out of 5 stars much better than expected!, 22 Dec 2013
I bought this as an extra alongside Rivers of London 4 and the latest Alex Verus novel, (both of which where very enjoyable and familiar)
It didn't start well for me, (I did not like the names of the first characters!) I was preparing myself for disappointment when I found myself turning the page, then the next page, then the next......
Its not the best first book ever (joe Abercrombie's "the blade itself", that is a best first book ever) but it is more than good enough. Maybe like Harry Dresden, started good enough and just got better and better.
I am expecting and hoping the same of Paul Cornell
Congratulations Paul, I'm excited for the next!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 19 Dec 2013
This review is from: London Falling (James Quill 1) (Kindle Edition)
Great story. Think it's the beginning of a series. The underground London police force. Xfiles meets Dickson of Dock Green.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 13 Dec 2013
This review is from: London Falling (James Quill 1) (Kindle Edition)
I happened upon this by chance and when I saw it was so cheap I thought I would give it a go. I am soooo glad I did. What starts out as a common or garden crime novel suddenly becomes so much else. Exciting, fast paced and just really really good. I honestly found myself willing my daily commute to last a bit longer just so I could see what happened next (tried reading as I walked home from the station. Didn't work. Tripped twice. Gave up).
To those who like a good crime thriller, get this, read it, and join me in waiting for the next one to be released.

4.0 out of 5 stars Ben Aaronovitch with more police procedure, 6 Dec 2013
Relatively similar to the Rivers of London series and then again not. I found it a bit confusing at times but it could be due to the use of "slang" and british english, which threw me a couple of times.
This is more of a detective novel - with a fantastic/magical background set, than an actual fantasy novel.
Do you enjoy a police novel with a couple of fantastic and historical twists, then I would recommend this book and I will be buying the next book in the series.

5.0 out of 5 stars London Underground, 14 Oct 2013
This review is from: London Falling (James Quill 1) (Kindle Edition)
Paul Cornell's London Fallings is a excellent combination of police man hunt and gothic horror. Looking forward to a second book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Promising start to a new series, 14 Aug 2013
PJ Rankine (Wallington, Surrey United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: London Falling (James Quill 1) (Kindle Edition)
It is hard not to compare this book to Ben Aaronovich's 'Rivers of London' series as they are both essentially police procedurals with a supernatural bent set in London. Where Aaronovich's books contain humour and are enjoyably tongue in cheek at times this book aims for a more serious note. Most of the time it successfully hits that note and it is to be commended for the overall accuracy of the police aspects and the plausability of the magical sections which are generally original and fresh. Where it loses a star though is in the mystical sections where I just lost interest and ploughed through to get back to the story.
The initial chapters introducing the three nale characters are a little confusing and take time to figure out and then the reader is into the main story with the horrific murder of a gangster in police custody. DI Jimmy Quill forms a little team consisting of two black undercover detectives and an intelligence analyst who literally get a unique view of an alternative London where the supernatural exists unseen by the general public and they have to track down and face a serial killer the like of which the world has never known.
Alternative London stories to seem to be a trend at the moment but Cornell doesn't dwell on this world in the way that a book like 'Neverwhere' does for example but dips into it as part of the plot whilst his team investigate in the real world.
The small plot twist at the end is telegraphed far too far in advance but it does lead this reader at least to hope that there will be more books featuring the team from Operation Toto.
Overall this was a very good read and if I could have given it four and a half stars I would have done.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great read, 8 Jun 2013
N. Macdougall - See all my reviews
I know Paul Cornell as a comic book writer but I had never read any of his novels. This is a fun read, an occult police procedural novel set in modern London. Great holiday book.

‹ Previous | 1 2 314 | Next ›

London Falling (James Quill 1)