on 22 October 2013
If I had bought this for someone mine or my mams age it would have been five out of five but I bought it for my great auntie (late 70s) and normal USBs will only go in one way and this will go in both ways but only one way is correct and the other could break it. She finds it much easier to use and has now learnt to push out the right side to light her cigarette. She has arthritis in her hands and is able to use it so that's a plus to this product!!!

I also got her a USB wall socket to use and after telling her the 'Daffodil' symbol needs to face the wall I think she manages to charge it alright. There was a week between this arriving and the USB socket arriving and it lasted the week and she uses it about 4 times a day, she told me how she waits until the light is beginning to dim before charging it as she knows it is running out then which she is correct with.

Its wind proof which is really good as if my auntie used to fail with her lighter she would light her cigarette on the gas stove, which trailed smoke through the house (not nice for non smoking occupants) and also is dangerous as her hand was close to a large gas flame.

She also says all her friends at bingo love it and she likes to show it off.

A must buy for older smoking relatives, especially if they like to trail smoke through the house... and also if you want to show off a new gadget to friends :)
on 15 April 2013
Bought this on a whim as I tend to collect lighters (I have a zippo as a main and then a multitude of novelty ones). The fact that it is rechargeable is amazing and it can certainly last as long if not longer than what Daffodil have quoted. Lasted for 5 hours of various use with enough charge to be used the morning after. Top product for a top price.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 6 August 2013
This lighter has just arrived, and it works perfectly. I have tested it, and now it is currently being given a full charge. My initial impression however is that it is made of very flimsy plastic. The sliding switch mechanism does not fill me with confidence but only time will tell if it holds up or not. It does not feel like it would survive long in a pocket with a bunch of keys.

Update: I have now been using this lighter for twenty something days and there have been no issues with the flimsyness or the sliding mechanism. I have got a couple of other observations. Because you have to place the cigarette in contact with the heated coil to light it, inevitably bit of cigarette and ash start to build up in the coil, and tar around the sliding part. I suspect that ash is also getting into the lighter, everytime it is slid closed. This means that the lighte is starting to smell like an old dirty ashtray, and I dont see how to clean it out without damaging the delicate coil. It also takes longer to light a cigarette with this than it does with a flame, especially as the coil only heats for a few seconds. Sometimes it is necessary to close and open the lighter a second time to get it going (along with lots of puffing to prevent that little glowing spot from going out.

2nd update: Two months on from the last update, the lighter has stopped working. The LED lights up at all the right times when charging, or in use, suggesting that it is working, but the coil no longer heats up and it cannot light cigarettes anymore. I have reduced my rating to 2 stars - it may be cheap for an interesting bit of technology, but it is overpriced for the disposable lighter it has turned out to be.
I bought this as a novelty extra for my friend's 40th. He loved it and spent more time playing with it than any other present. Result! This is the second time I've bought one of this kind of lighter as I think they are a great invention. The first one broke after a few months (the USB moved and got stuck inside). This one has a flimsier case but there is not so much room for the USB to get stuck so, unless he stands on it, it should last. If I were buying another one as a gift I think I'd get one with a metal casing to stop me worrying about it getting stood on and breaking.
on 29 March 2014
Not a bad lighter at all, but only for bought cigarettes, its absolutely useless for lighting roll-your-own cigarettes, it just sets the thing on fire. Beware!
on 16 December 2013
As far as the concept goes, it's a great idea

The "Claim" of "Internal battery lasts for 60 lights between charges" should be reported to trading standards under the Trade Discriptions Act.

I bought 3, 1 for myself & 2 as gifts. (I won't be giving this to anyone now, too embarassing!)

NONE of the 3 could light more than 7 (SEVEN) times between charges.

The other "Claim" of "Easily charged at your desk, in your car or from any powered USB port" AGAIN should be reported as the lighter's internal USB does NOT lock out into position so you have to hold the lever down otherwise it just goes back into the lighter. "Easy?" NO! Too fiddly? YES.

This product is crying out for a high capacity battery, sure, it would add a little bit of weight but it would STILL be twice as light as a Zippo & marginally heavier than a full size Clipper for example.

The build quality is of a cheap & nasty ABS plastic

It's a shame, this could have been an epic market leader
on 5 February 2014
had this for 1 day before it stopped charging properly, it would only light 6 times from a full charge and it didnt light up enough to light a cigarette
on 20 September 2013
I bought this for a smoker friend for his birthday. He loves it so much and thinks it looks so cool he uses it all the time!

What's more several of his friends have asked where he got it from so I had to admit I got it on Amazon (do I get any commission lol?)!

The item arrived promptly, is simple to use and - to all intents and purposes - if used correctly and is not sat on, it should last indefinitely.

A practical gadget. Excellent!
on 17 February 2014
i do alot of camping and i was looking for a rechargeable lighter or at least something that could be used a few times , this can be used 1000 times! ive used it to light my camp fires in the best part of the scottish winters, i had no dry wood but a little tinder i had packed. minutes later i had dried out the wood and all thanks to this tiny little lighter .

thanks guys
on 1 February 2014
Great lightweight lighter!
Push side button up to expose the lighter filament, or down for usb charger.
It does fit in usb both ways but printed side lights up if in the right way!
If u are a heavy smoker it will need charging daily!
My 1st 1 stopped working after 2 months but seller sent me a new 1!!