5.0 out of 5 stars Good quality and performance
Published 19 months ago by bookwormsu

3.0 out of 5 stars Disregard Instructions
On my first use of the slow cooker and having followed the instructions to the letter to heat on setting 2 for 20 mins & then add ingredients, I subsequently found that the ceramic bowl was cracked around the entire base. Clearly the fluids I had earlier warmed up were cooler than the bowl and had caused a thermal shock to the extremely hot bowl.

The Customer...
Published 8 months ago by m a richmond

5.0 out of 5 stars Good quality and performance, 20 Mar 2013
bookwormsu "thrifty" (Somerset UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Russell Hobbs 19780 Compact Slow Cooker (Kitchen & Home)
Russell Hobbs 19780 Compact Slow Cooker I bought this somewhere else but the Amazon price is better and I would have purchased it from Amazon if there had been any good reviews, so I am going to do everyone a favour and say this is a super little cooker. It has good build quality. The instruction book is written in excellent English and has well thought out advice. There are quite a lot of recipes.

The big white bowl inside appears to be designed to hold in heat. I have cooked on High and there is a very faint dimpled simmer, hardly noticeable but a lot different from some other cookers which almost boil on the High heat, and simmer on the low. It is clear that anything cooked on the Low heat setting would really be slow, which is what it is bought for.

This size is an excellent compromise for a single person, or a couple, as it will take those cheap joints like bacon hock which do require long slow cooking. It will serve a meal for 3 easily I think, maybe 4 if not too hungry.I have had a 3.5 litre and it was too big and too difficult to clean (frail OAP). I intend also to get a little 1.5 litre for day-to-day but think this is an excellent investment for the future. A really nice item.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, 15 April 2013
This review is from: Russell Hobbs 19780 Compact Slow Cooker (Kitchen & Home)
Ordered this for my elderly Mum. Very easy for her to understand and use. She is over the moon!! Superfast delivery coupled with and outstanding price - how can you go wrong?

5.0 out of 5 stars Cooking made easy, 10 Nov 2013
This review is from: Russell Hobbs 19780 Compact Slow Cooker (Kitchen & Home)
I bought this slow cooker because, with the hike in gas and electricity prices, slow cookers are being recommended as energy savers and also because I just love delicious stews in the winter months. It sat on my kitchen table for a week or so before I had the courage to use it but after trying boeuf bourguignon (recipe included in the instruction manual), I haven't looked back. I've cooked lentil and vegetable curry, chicken casserole and many more. I have even put a stew on in the morning and come home later in the day to a delicious smell and an instant meal. I would never go out and leave an ordinary oven on. This slow cooker is easy to use (minimal instructions, which I like), looks good, and was not expensive. I thoroughly recommend it to anyone who appreciates a really hearty meal and who is trying to keep household costs down.

4.0 out of 5 stars slow cooker for caravan use, 5 Oct 2013
This review is from: Russell Hobbs 19780 Compact Slow Cooker (Kitchen & Home)
Great slow cooker, used it a few times in the caravan.
Good size for 2 adults and 2 children.
Easy to clean too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Use common sense, 11 July 2014
This review is from: Russell Hobbs 19780 Compact Slow Cooker (Kitchen & Home)
This is a very good little slow cooker. However, one must use common sense when dealing with a ceramic bowl:

- if you are going to put hot pre-cooked ingredients into the bowl, then you should follow the instructions and pre-heat on 2 for 20minutes.

- if you are going to put cold ingredients into the bowl, then you should of course NOT pre-heat it, but start heating on 2 until bubbling, to get everything kick-started and into the safety zone.

I think that most of any problems mentioned here stem from this.

Also, don't plunge a hot bowl into cold water, or put it down on a cold or wet surface, or let it soak and then start using it before it has dried out.
Treat it as a ceramic bowl and it will survive.
(I have a large earthenware oven dish, Portuguese, which is still in perfect good order after more than 30 years of use.)

The lower setting (1) has a very low simmer and just barely bubbles. If you want even lower, then there is always the possibility of the 'keep warm' setting, which is the one I would switch to for a cheese fondue were it to become too lively on 1.

I also have a smaller slow cooker, same design, and am very pleased with it. I have even used it on low to macerate plantain leaves in coconut oil when making an ointment for cuts and scratches.. And for cheese fondues.. And the bowl is still perfect.

5.0 out of 5 stars So Easy, 31 Dec 2013
This review is from: Russell Hobbs 19780 Compact Slow Cooker (Kitchen & Home)
Yep highly recommended, so simple a kiddy could use and turn out a meal. I have turned out excellent curries and stews using it. The thing I really like is that you can forget it once on and not come back to food burnt to the bottom of the pan, unlike conventional cooker where you must stir all the time to prevent it sticking. When using, I use hot water, not boiling from the kettle, I turn the cooker on to number 2 and prepare my food, by the time I have done this it has got quite warm so I try to get the water I need to a similar temperature, put in the food and just cover it with water or other liquid I am using, switch it to 1 and forget about it until I want to eat in the evening. could not be more simple and worry free. Being by myself it is an ideal size but I will double up and freeze a portion, to my mind for curries and things like them it will cook enough for 3 people, you would be pushing it a bit to try and cook a stew for three though.

4.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for one person I definitely recommend this product., 2 May 2013
This review is from: Russell Hobbs 19780 Compact Slow Cooker (Kitchen & Home)
I have found this small sized cooker perfect for my requirements. The only drawback I have found, is that, when you wish to cook on the low setting1 you have to turn the cooker on setting 2 for 20mins,with no food in, and then add hot food before turning to the low setting. Which I think, is a bit of a pain if you have to rush to work. However, I just put all the food etc in cold and turn it to setting 2 for about 30mins then turn it down to setting 1. Everything turns out beautifully.

4.0 out of 5 stars Useful size, 8 April 2013
L. Bull - See all my reviews
This review is from: Russell Hobbs 19780 Compact Slow Cooker (Kitchen & Home)
I have a very large slow cooker which I use regularly & bought this for when making smaller quantity meals.Had considered getting the 2 litre version,pleased I went with 2.5 litre.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product, 8 July 2013
This review is from: Russell Hobbs 19780 Compact Slow Cooker (Kitchen & Home)
It looks great and works great! Slightly bigger than I have expected it but not a problem. Will be great if it can be put on the fire for further cooking but the instruction doesn't allow to do that. I normally just pour the content to the other pans after I come back home if I want to reduce the amount of gravy in the cooker.

But it's very convenient if you have children as it saves the hassle to have to rush to cook after coming back home from work.

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to use, easy to clean, 10 April 2014
This review is from: Russell Hobbs 19780 Compact Slow Cooker (Kitchen & Home)
This is big enough to cook main dishes for 3 people. High is the same as a slow simmer, great for soups and sauces or to save time, slow is just that, you can leave items in for 8 to 10 hours as no liquid evaporates, but recondenses on the very handy see through lid. Preheating is easy and can be done while you're preparing the recipe. The sides do get hot, but the stay cool handles and lid knob do stay cool. Once cool the interior crock is easy to clean,

Russell Hobbs 19780 Compact Slow Cooker