4.0 out of 5 stars Chicklit for gays?
Published 21 months ago by P. Lee

3.0 out of 5 stars Stillettos and Stubble
Really great story it keeps your interest right from the start.
Different take on the usual boy meets girl storys.
Published 10 months ago by Maureen Nevitt

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Chicklit for gays?, 1 Dec 2012
P. Lee (CARDIFF, CARDIFF United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Stilettos & Stubble (Kindle Edition)
I must say as a gay man I have never read a 'chicklit' book, a genre clearly intended for women. I was drawn to this because of the setting, a drag nightclub in London, and its cast of outrageous gay men. As far as I know this hasn't really been attempted before, a sort of 'chicklit for gays'; the only one I can think of being Jonathan Harvey's successful 2012 novel 'All She Wants', and perhaps the novels of Julian Clary. This book won't win any literary awards, but then that is hardly the point. It is warm-hearted and funny, and I raced through it.
I note from the writer's blog that her inspiration was a scene from the sitcom 'Miranda' (presumably the scene where she is mistaken for a man in a tranny shop), and actually I was picturing Miranda Hart even before I knew the connection, and I was also reminded of Patricia Hodge's character when reading the scenes with the evil mother. Even the choice of the heroine's name mirrors Miranda's (which, while being Latin and created by Shakespeare, has the ring of mythology about it, which is where 'Persephone' is taken from).
I did enjoy it, but I do wonder whether chicklit as a genre is really for me; while this had elements of the 'gay scene', it was really just another heterosexual romance, and the gay theme was just a conceit to hang a plot on. The gays' love lives are either non-existent or barely touched upon, which is reflected by the character Luke's articulated disgust at the idea of 'gay sex'.
However, its heart is in the right place, and the theme of the book, that we all have something more to offer than surface gloss and not to judge from first impressions, is one which I wish ALL of society held.

5.0 out of 5 stars Stilettos and Stubble, 18 Jan 2014
This review is from: Stilettos & Stubble (Kindle Edition)
Fantastic book written to make you laugh out loud. Great storyline brilliantly told. Can't wait for more stories like this.

5.0 out of 5 stars Drag Me To The Gossamer Glove, 28 Dec 2013
This review is from: Stilettos & Stubble (Kindle Edition)
Another smash! A book filled with memorable characters you'll be delighted to meet and you'll miss the minute you finish the last chapter. A wonderfully warm hearted read that can't fail to appeal to fans of Miranda Hart. I've said it before and I'll say it again: Amanda Egan is a firm favourite.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply marvelous, 1 Dec 2012
This review is from: Stilettos & Stubble (Kindle Edition)
Amanda has a knack of drawing you in. You fall in love with the characters and you can picture the scenes in your mind and this one was no exception. This is her fourth book and I loved it as much as the other three. I laughed and cried (need to redo my makeup now, thanks Amanda) and loved every page.

Once again, you've nailed it Amanda. Thank you and keep em coming

5.0 out of 5 stars Funny read, couldn't put it down, 9 Jun 2014
This review is from: Stilettos & Stubble (Kindle Edition)
Really enjoyed this book. Completely understood the main character, and loved the witty writing. The "Queen's" were written in such a brilliant fashion, and utter believable. I used to work for BBC near the wardrobe department, and it was honestly like eavesdropping into one of those conversation - love it! Very much looking forward to reading more by Amanda Egan

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant read, 18 May 2014
This review is from: Stilettos & Stubble (Kindle Edition)
LOVED this book ,so easy to read could not put it down,read it in 2 days. The characters were so easy to fall in love with and just couldn't wait to turn each page.

5.0 out of 5 stars Clever author., 12 May 2014
This review is from: Stilettos & Stubble (Kindle Edition)
I always enjoy Amanda Egan's work and this book certainly didn't disappoint.
It's full of sensitive and insightful emotions as well as being very funny in places, and takes you to places you've probably never visited before!
Great fun, well written and I enjoyed every part of it. I'm looking forward to her next book which I hope won't be too far away.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good reading, 2 May 2014
This review is from: Stilettos & Stubble (Kindle Edition)
Enjoyed easy reading after a hard days work, did not want to put down. Now looking for more books from this author

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant Read, 29 April 2014
This review is from: Stilettos & Stubble (Kindle Edition)
Absolutely loved this book. Could not put it down, had me laughing and crying.Well worth a read. I look forward to the second one coming into the free books

5.0 out of 5 stars loved it, 27 April 2014
This review is from: Stilettos & Stubble (Kindle Edition)
i found this a really good read it is funny and zooms along and I felt an affinity with the heroine

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›