5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book on a complex subject
This book is tremendous and I really enjoyed reading it. In addition to covering the Great War at O-Level many years ago, I've taken a keen interest in WWI and have read several books over the years. Through it's style and approach, this book adds a new dimension but without glossing over important events, facts and campaigns. It's absolutely clear that the author is an...
Published 21 months ago by John Stinchcombe

2.0 out of 5 stars Trivialises history
When I first read the blurb about this book I thought it sounded like a great idea. And, yes, it was. The chapters are short and the reader is taken through the main episodes of the war in short, concise chapters. But in trying to write a non-academic book the author has resorted to what I presume he sees as humorous quips and asides, and in doing this, I believe, the...
Published 12 months ago by Bergmaster

1.0 out of 5 stars It would have been fine if they had been taken out, 19 Aug 2014
This review is from: World War One: A Layman's Guide (Kindle Edition)
I agree with the reviewer who said it was too flippant.
I bought this based on the overall view of all the reviewers, but wish I hadn't.
The jokey, facetious, nature of the back-hand comments doesn't suit the serious nature of the content.
It would have been fine if they had been taken out, but I had to stop after a few chapters because I felt insulted.

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 22 Aug 2014
This review is from: World War One: A Layman's Guide (Kindle Edition)
ok