4.0 out of 5 stars Bonkers
Published 21 months ago by Cheese Steak Jimmy

2.0 out of 5 stars A MAN WITH A VISION
In the opening scene John (Scott Adkins) sets the screen scene record for a non-cyborg to get hit by a crowbar and survive. As he wanders off into a coma as he watches Luc Deveraux (Jean-Claude Van Damme) who is wearing gloves, murder his family. The FBI knows it is Luc, because he "left his prints all over the place." Now is this a clue, or just a screw up...
Published 18 months ago by The Movie Guy

4.0 out of 5 stars Bonkers, 3 Feb 2013
This movie is truly bonkers. I don't really know how Hyams sold the concept of this to the studio execbots: "yeah, Universal Soldier 4 is going to be a pastiche of loads of common sci-fi tropes -- like clones, body regeneration, implanted memories -- that I'm going to mix in with Kubrickian slomo camera shots, Lynchian psychodrama, and loads of Apocalypse Now. We'll have Van Damme ape Brando's Kurtz and have him walk around a lot mumbling and looking miserable, and not fighting, and Scott Adkins driving around a lot looking miserable, and not fighting, and some random big dude with a beard who fights everything. But when it gets violent I'm going to push the violence as far as I can, and try and offend everyone with my opening sequence. It'll be great, I'm telling ya."

In all seriousness, this is not a movie for everyone, but I quite frankly loved it. Hyams really does let his imagination run wild on this one, and cheerfully cribs from loads of other directors and movies, but he never seemed to get the memo that this is the fourth in a series of increasingly minor action roles that no one -- save for the odd action junkie fondly remembering movies from his or her childhood/youth -- cares about any more, and tries hard to make this movie anything but your conventional DTV B-movie with ageing action stars.

Day of reckoning is crass, extremely violent, uneven, and low budget, but it should also be commended for being ambitious, and shot through with passion and creative vision. It is absolutely not a movie for everyone -- if you want a safer trip up action-memory-lane stick with The Expendables 2 -- but if you fancy a detour of the beaten path, and are willing to forgive the flaws the flaws that are a consequence of the directorial ambition, then by all means give this a shot.

Just remember that the film is absolutely bonkers.

2.0 out of 5 stars A MAN WITH A VISION, 5 May 2013
The Movie Guy "Movies from A to Z" (United States) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
In the opening scene John (Scott Adkins) sets the screen scene record for a non-cyborg to get hit by a crowbar and survive. As he wanders off into a coma as he watches Luc Deveraux (Jean-Claude Van Damme) who is wearing gloves, murder his family. The FBI knows it is Luc, because he "left his prints all over the place." Now is this a clue, or just a screw up?

John awakes from his coma and doesn't remember much of his life as he looks for Luc and tries to put things together. He discovers he was not a nice person and that entering a strip joint causes instant healing as he no longer has to use his cane to get around. He teams up with a dancer (Mariah Bonner) who knows the bad him and they go on an adventure having to fight off a "Manchurian" plumber who drives a truck with a self repairing hood.

In order to keep things level, people who could act better than Jean-Claude Van Damme and Dolph Lundgren were not considered for roles. All around a fairly sorry film for the franchise. Oh, not "Halloween 3" bad, but close.

Parental Guide: F-bomb, sex, full frontal nudity (male and female), plenty of blood and exploding heads.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not the typical action movie you expect. But a GREAT movie., 14 Dec 2012
This review is from: Universal Soldier Day Of Reckoning [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
I've never been a fan of the Universal Soldier Franchise. I saw the first one when I was young, and the only reason I came back to it was because I was expecting a huge turn in Van Damme's career after "JCVD". So I watched "Universal Soldier: Regeneration", and honestly I was kinda disappointed by the actor who seemed not to care anymore about his acting. But the one thing that surprised me was the director John Hyams (son of director Peter Hyams), who did a great job on the movie. It was raw, violent and not dumb (I wouldn't say smart) like the first entry of the series.
So when I heard that he was back for "Day of reckoning", and that the main character would be played by Scott Adkins - a man who's actually interested in building a name for himself - I was quite interested. From the trailers, interviews and early reviews, you could actually see that the movie was gonna be very different from the last ones. But just to make sure I prepare myself for the worst - cause it was still gonna be a B-movie after all !

Now that I watched it, I can easily say that "Universal Soldier: Day of Reckoning" is very easily the best, most mature, violent and disturbing movie of the franchise. The thing is, it's in fact so disturbing and unexpected that a lot of people (who are only seeking a good old pop-corn action flick) won't stand it.
"Day of Reckoning" is trying very hard to mature the series - maybe too much for its own good; but for someone who wasn't expecting much but a stupid plot and gory fight scenes, I would say that I was pleasantly surprised. For once, there's actually a commited director behind that kind of movies: someone with guts, who's thinking about what is doing, and who wants to make a film that will provoke people. And that my friends, is rare enough to be applaused.

4.0 out of 5 stars Thats the spirit soldier....(spoilers), 31 Jan 2014
This review is from: Universal Soldier Day Of Reckoning [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
ohn awakens from a coma to discover his wife and daughter were slaughtered in, and he vows to kill the man responsible, Luc Deveraux.

While John tries to piece his life back together, things get more complicated when he is pursued by a relentless UniSol named Magnus.

Deveraux and surviving UniSol Andrew Scott are preparing to build a new order ruled by Unisols without government oversight. They are weeding out the weak and constantly testing their strongest warriors in brutal, life-and-death combat.

Luc takes in wayward Unisols whom the government has been secretly operating as remote-controlled sleeper agents.

As John gets closer to Deveraux and the rogue army of genetically enhanced warriors, he discovers more about himself and begins to call into question everything he believed to be true......

If you are thinking of something along the line sod the original film, this is as farther from that film as you could expect. It's as if Herzog, Lynch, and Cronenberg have taken the franchise and mutated it.

The film begins in a very disturbing way, and sets the whole tone of the film, dark and grim and unsettling. Adkins proves himself as a bona-fide action star in this, and stands well against Van Damme and Lundgren........and this is the major problem with the film.

The stars are hardly in it. Lundgren is in a total of three scenes, lasting around eight minutes, and Van Damme is in it a little more, but has nothing to do until the last ten minutes of the film, so if you are after them in a film, this is very deceptive.

Another problem I had with the film was the strobe lights in a couple of scenes, I literally had to come back to the film later, as it made me feel nauseous.

It takes a while to get going, and after one gruesome scene at a 'parlour' the action really gets going. We have a great car chase, and then a mental fight in a sports shop.

After the confusing plot comes to a head, we have the final third, which contains an almost one shot edit of Adkins going on a killing spree before finally meeting Van Damme.

So all in all, it's a very big risk for a Universal Soldier movie as it will divide fans. But it works, and it really gets exciting after the fifty minute mark.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best, 8 Dec 2013
Mr. Nigel Say (Cornwall Uk) - See all my reviews
I must admit if you like lots of violent action and blood and guts well look no further, this is one of the best films in 3d I have ever seen, its a must see for all die hard horror fans. Its got a good story line but you can get a bit lost at times, I didn't really get the ending, its one of these films you have to watch a few times to really get it. All in all its a fantastic movie if you like that sort of thing, I thourley enjoyed it.

5.0 out of 5 stars WORTH EVERY PENNY, 10 Aug 2013
S. Ditta (uk birmingham) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Universal Soldier Day Of Reckoning [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
SUPER MOVIE FORGET THE NEGATIVE COMMENTS THERES SOMETHING WRONG WITH THOSE GUYS.I HAD NO IDEA THERE WAS A NEW SERIES I CAME ACROSS A PIRATE COPY WICH I DAINT BUY SO I BOUGHT A BLURAY@GOT@3D COVER BLURAY COVER AND THE MOVIE WAS OUT THIS WORLD ITS LIKE THE OLD RAMBO COMPARED TO THE NEW LATEST RAMBO?OR THE OLD DREDD TO THE NEW DREDD?YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN?ITS UPGRADED LIKE MARMITE YOU EITHER LOIKE IT OR HATE IT ITS GOT ACTION BLOOD GUTS GALORE THE WORKS I DONT WANNA SPOIL IT BUT IN THESE HARD TIMES THIS IS THE MOVIE VAN DAMNE IS SUPERB REALY TALENTED GUYS ALL OF THEM REALLY THE ONLY THING I DONT LIKE IS THE HEROS ENGLISH@THE WAY HE SPEAKS/SPOKE I FIND IT ANNOYING FOR THAT IL JOIN VAN DAMNES TEAM@BLOW HIM AWAY BUT A MUST BUY FORGET THE SAD NEGATIVE COMMENTS THIS IS A UPGRADE SUPER HIGH CLASS MOVIE TIMES HAVE CHANGED ARE CHANGING HERES TO THE NEXT ONE BRING IT ON.

4.0 out of 5 stars Day of Reckoning., 8 Aug 2014
Not a bad film....decent action scenes but yet again absolutely NO screen time (about 8 mins) from Dolph Lundgren and a bit more from Van Damme. Scott Adkins was wicked as the main character, the guy is really doing well for himself lately. Didn't enjoy as much as regeneration though. Absolutely nuts stuff. But you'll have to watch it to find out.

4.0 out of 5 stars RE: Theatrical or Uncut edition!, 13 Feb 2013
PHOTOSENSITIVE EPILEPSY WARNING: this film contains SEVERE strobing effects and should be viewed with extreme caution (or probably not at all) by those who have Photosensitive Epilepsy!!!

Great news for UK fans, this IS the hardcore, uncut edition and not the censored theatrical edition, which has been released in the USA (2D Version tested only).

Fantastic steelbook, with great artwork (both inner and outer) and a premium metallic paint finish! The age rating logos are NOT on the steelbook.

Both discs (2D blu-ray & 3D blu-ray) are region B locked!

Enjoy!

5.0 out of 5 stars UK Steelbook Edition: Both Versions are Fully Uncut, 15 July 2014
This is really just a bit of a belated review to clear up some misunderstanding surrounding the UK steelbook version of this film. I keep reading that the UK 2D disc is the uncut version of the film and that the 3D disc is the theatrical version. However, this isn't the case. Both 2D & 3D discs run to an identical time: 1hr 53mins and 43secs. Inevitably, this means that both versions are either theatrical or uncut. Having seen the film in 2D fully uncut, I decided to have a look at several key scenes on the 3D disc. To my surprise (I shouldn't have been surprised, considering the identical running time), it was also completely uncut.

This can be verified by going here: http://www.movie-censorship.com/report.php?ID=583749
... and making the appropriate comparisons using your 3D disc.

As a side not, I've also read some people having problems getting the 3D disc to play in 3D. I can confirm the 3D disc IS a proper 3D disc and not another 2D disc erroneously labelled. The problem is some BD players displaying the image. I popped it into my Samsung and the 3D disc played in 2D. I then popped it into my Sony BDP and PS3 and the image was a full 3D one containing nice depth of field and separation between objects. The 3D is surprisingly effective for such a minor film, and even more of a boon when you consider it's also fully uncut. Funnily enough, putting the disc back into my Samsung BDP, I was then asked if I wanted to view the film in 2D or 3D. Upon selecting 3D, it then played properly in 3D (the menu and Studiocanal intro are both in 2D btw).

So, in summation, the 3D disc is a fully functional providing your player can display it, and it's also fully unrated.

Hope this clears up some confusion.

5.0 out of 5 stars yaaaaaaa ha, 18 May 2014
a brilliant film as a man with a family ,see s them killed and seeks revenge finding out his strength and healing abilitiesare strong as he takes on over 30 men to get his revenge on the leader,A WARNING TO EPILEPTICS there are a number of WHITE FLASHES THAT CAN BE LOCKING AND MAY CAUSE SEIZURES so be careful,hope you all enjoy it too a brilliant film

Universal Soldier Day Of Reckoning [Blu-ray]
Universal Soldier Day Of Reckoning [Blu-ray] by John Hyams (Blu-ray - 2013)