4.5 out of 5 stars1,418

on 19 January 2016
Slower write speeds than my HDD?! Tested with Crystaldiskmark and HDTune, check out the results in images attached. Read/write speeds do not come close to the advertised 450mb/s (read never higher than 400mb/s and max write 140mb/s). To put this in perspective my ageing 3TB HDD has write speeds of around 160mb/s (see images attached).

Only after installing and testing the drives myself did I learn about Kingston and their false advertising about product specs. I have a 2 year old Samsung 840 which still gives a consistent 550mb/s read/write in all software I've used to test it. Stupidly I bought two of these Kingstons to use in raid0 but given they write slower than a traditional HDD I'll be returning them for Samsung, Sandisk, or other manufacturer I know to be trustworthy (Sandisk do the Ultra II range for the same price as these Kingstons, but those drives actually to perform as intended).

I will never buy anything from Kingston again and will implore others to do the same.
on 30 January 2014
[...]

Tests are showing the newer V300 drives are performing at less than half the speed of the earlier V300s. Kingston are using inflated results from benchmarking software which is sympathetic to the dynamic data-compression used by the SandForce controller in the V300 to claim that the new drives still meet their "on the box" performance claims. Whilst technically correct, the real-world performance of the newer drives is significantly reduced compared to the earlier versions of the drives.

The Kingston V300 in its initial form (as I purchased four months ago) was a genuine five-star product, but this new incarnation (along with the associated deception) is simply a mediocre SSD trading off the reviews of the original drive.
3636 comments|844 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 23 July 2014
Like many people posted - the new version of the drive switched to slower memory chips and is nowhere near advertised speeds. This is not an acceptable practice Kingston!
0Comment|196 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 8 August 2014
These drives were originally really good - fast, reliable, and at a good price. HOWEVER; Kingston has changed out some of the components they used in the original drive - trying to hide it by keeping the same product name and not telling anyone. The newer versions are rubbish - performance has more than halved! Avoid the V300 drives like the plague, you can't get hold of the good old versions anymore. Kingston you are risking your reputation pulling a stunt like this - how long did you think it would be before people noticed that their drives were half the speed of what you promised!?

I ordered one, and then found out from a friend; fortunately there was no problem returning it unopened. Didn't even have to pay for the return shipping! (That's why I'm giving one star rather than zero)

As an alternative, I recommend Crucial MX100 series. They are a similar price but (at least) twice the performance; and you don't feel like you've been ripped off.
0Comment|206 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 5 March 2015
You buy a new Ferrari.
The car salesman tells you it can go 250MPH.
You go home, you can't wait to try the car.
Turns out it can only actually go 80MPH, just like the ford mondeo that it replaced.
You ring up the car company and complain.
Turns out Ferrari replaced the V8 engine with the cheapest engine they could find, and didn't think they should tell anyone.
Apparently this is an okay think to do.

TL;DR: Kingston is ****

on 14 December 2014
Write speed 110 MB/s
Read speed 180 MB/s

Masured with AS SSD Benchmark and with CrystalDiskMark

Don't buy. It is slower then an new HDD. I will return it back.
review image review image
66 comments|141 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 13 July 2014
Installed this disk for my Windows 8 laptop and was disappointed with the performance improvements over my regular HDD. Did some benchmarking and found out that my sequential read performance was topping out at around 176 MB/s instead of the 470 MB/s or so it gets in benchmarks when you look at the reviews of this product. Have found out that Kingston have swapped out all of their synchronous NAND from the original product and swapped it for far cheaper slower asynchronous NAND and that I'm stuck with this poor performance. Wish I'd spent the extra £10 for a Samsung or maybe a Corsair drive.

Very dishonest by Kingston, I will no be buying any of their products again.
0Comment|153 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 22 March 2014
They say ignorance is bliss and id agree. I happened to stumble across the review on reduced performance so out of interest I downloaded the benchmark tool , checked the firmware , which is 521 and whilst I was pleased with installing my first SSD and saw an improvement over my HDD I now feel disappointed. The benchmark shows poor performance compared to posted results I've seen on the web. My setup is a couple year old Asus Mobo with an I5 and sata 2 so not sloppy but admittedly more of a good middling than high end desktop
So I have to agree with one of the techies on Overclockers.com in that the vast majority of us are not inclined to undertake specific examinations of the products we buy. We tend to trust the supplier. I had my own retail business for many years and the general view is that for every 1 displeased customer they'll go tell 13 others and that will cascade ..
I accept that the SSD performance is far better than the HDD but now its not about performance but the attitude of the company. I don't like being treated like a fool so I wont recommend this company to anyone and if asked ill point to reviews and others can make their own mind up. Its Sad really.. Kingston had a good reputation
22 comments|47 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 10 February 2014
Complete Rip Off
44 comments|229 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 1 December 2015
I've had problems with this SSD ever since I bought it, but I have only just realised it's the SSD that's been causing me so many problems. If you install Windows onto this 120GB Kinston SSD Now SSD you will experience freezing problems, because the manufacturing process is NO GOOD. Eventually the SSD will die/fail and you will be in the same situation that I am now in. Don't buy this SSD, buy a reliable one from Intel or Samsung. Let me make this extra clear, your Systems performance will not be as good as it should. Your games will not run well. Your programs will not run well. Don't buy this piece of crap.