on 23 May 2013
This monitor is amazing. I wanted a big high resolution monitor to go along with my computer upgrades this year and originally went with a Dell U2713hm but was very disappointed with it. Bad backlight bleed and obvious cross hatching pattern on bottom half of the screen.
Then I heard about the 120Hz monitors so I went and got a couple of BenQ 2411Ts. However the picture quality was so bad, even after calibration that I refused to keep them. I returned them and got a U2913wm instead, and am I glad I did!
The picture quality is stunning. The slim bezel is fantastic, makes the monitor look so premium. No backlight bleed. No stupid cross hatching. The ultra wide aspect ratio may take a little getting used to but you will learn to love it.
If I could change anything about the monitor, it would probably be adding just a little extra vertical pixels. Increase the resolution to 2560*1200 and perhaps increase the refresh rate to 120Hz. That would make it absolutely perfect, but in its current form it is as near perfect as any monitor I have seen.
55 comments|12 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 19 March 2013
It was time to replace my faithful Silicon Graphics flat panel after many years of service. Special realised that I was getting sore eyes due to the slight flicker that was only noticeable on black.
Did my research and eventually went for Dell.
Quality of the image is outstanding. Can spend longer working now.
Only issue I would say is with the connectors being very close to casing at the back. So it was fiddly getting the HDMI connector in, at one point was for giving in and sending the monitor back. As where the casing ends is directly in line with connector.Setting the connector further back would make it less of a squeeze.
on 18 February 2014
As a gamer
I was really concerned when moving to this 21:9 size.
Many people complained about the loss of height and only a slight gain in width its also a drop from 120hz with 3D to 60hz

When I took it out of the box I felt disappointing. Its definitely considerably narrower how will it even compare?
The colours on these IPS panels are supposed to be much better so lets get going and see how it is!

3 weeks in and I can say this.
Side by side the colours are obviously superior and far richer.
But playing on one and then playing on the other the difference is forgettable.

The loss of height and gain of width?
Its very marmite, It makes browsing and desktop use far better and with gaming you get that extra wide field of view.
FPS's/MMO's well really all types of games it opens up so much more usable space!

I would say if your on a 27' 16:9 and were thinking about swapping. Think about it long and hard.
If you have cash to burn sure go ahead, but given the choice again I'd stay with my 27'' 16:9

The 34'' 21:9's are out in the next few months...
They have the height of a 27'' with huge width.

Now they are something to consider.
on 17 September 2013
Unlike a few of the other reviewers, I didn't notice any quality control issues. My sample was well put together, at least as good as my previous monitor (a Samsung 24" LCD). The stand is simple but effective. Most importantly, the image quality is excellent. Text is sharp, and I have not noticed any ghosting when gaming. The width of the monitor means that one can easily have two windows open side by side, which is very useful. A few years back I used to use 2 monitors side by side but I switched back to a single monitor in order to free up space on my desk. I've always missed that dual monitor functionality and this Dell does the job with just one monitor.

The monitor comes with a factory calibrated sRGB preset, which looks very natural. A calibration report is enclosed with the monitor, which is a nice touch.

The only negative that I can think of is that 2560x1080 support in games is far from universal. Several recent games that I have tried do not support this resolution, even with the latest patches, which is disappointing. But those that do look amazing!

If you do decide to buy this, be warned that when you first unbox it, it is startlingly wide! It does take a while to get used to the size and shape, but once you do there's no going back to 16:9 or 16:10.

UPDATE: I've had this monitor for over 2 years now and it's still going strong. No issues whatsoever. Games support has improved and all the games I've tried in the last year have worked at 2560x1080, although a few have needed some tweaking to get them there. I'm now thinking of upgrading to the new 34" version of this monitor!
review image
on 9 April 2014
I record and mix music, screen real estate is important to me, this delivers perfectly, the IPS panel provides a lovely pictorial experience.
I did a lot of research before purchasing this because I needed the height adjustment and a screen that wouldn't give you eye fatigue, this seemed to be the best in its class.
on 22 November 2014
The only company at present making 21:9 panels is LG. So the LG 25UM65-P, Asus PB298Q, Asus MX299Q, AOC Q2963PM, and any 21:9 panel made prior to 2015 will use the exact same panel in each of them. The only difference will be the ergonomics, the case, the OSD and any OEM features added.

I would like to point out that I have had three of these monitors from dell, and unfortunately I've had to send all three back due to QA issues, possibly effected the whole batch. The first two had really bad clouding on the left hand side of the panel and light bleed in the top left corner and bottom left corner. The third one had no light bleed, but this one did have very bad IPS glow (considerably more than the first two), and was unable to display text as good as either of the first two panels.

I would like to add that if the first panel had the same amount of light bleed as my last panel, then I would have kept it. Unfortunately I purchased this panel to watch 21:9 movies, and the amount of light bleed made them unacceptable. I would have probably kept the third if it wasn't for the really poor text rendering.

Earlier on I said they use the same panels. Well, I purchased an Asus MX299Q, and I had that panel sat right next to this Dell Panel. And picture wise (apart from the flaws), there was no difference. I did checkerboard tests, colour tests, the lot.

I can only assume the differences you read on the review sites such as TFT central are purely down to the panel lottery dependant on the batch. Something to bear in mind, as you're probably better off going with the AOC version of this panel, as it's around £50 cheaper. I'm happy with my Asus Panel now, and I can't be bothered to send it back to try and save £50, when I could be back in the panel lottery again! No thanks.

Ergonomics : 5/5
Dell produce a wonderful stand, that allows you to raise the height of the display, and lower it so it's almost touching the desk. It swivels about 130 degrees left and right. It also has a USB3 hub, two around the back, and two on the side. The Dell stand is the main reason I chose this in the first place.

Build Quality: 4/5
I would have given 5 out of 5, but if not for the poor QA on my panels. Other the flaws previously mentioned (which may not bother you), the Dell is certainly built better than my Asus, it's a solid bit of kit, that can be used in an office, and could take a few knocks or rough handling.

Picture Quality: 4/5
The colours are accurate, there is very little banding. There is no black crush, meaning you can tell the difference between 1% grey, right down to absolute black. This was the same as the Asus panel, which is why I'd advise going for the AOC if money is tight. (It's the same panel). Homogeneity of 100% white wasn't as good as the Asus Panel, but that will purely be down manufacturing tolerances.

This panel does not use PWM (which my previous dell did, hence why I had to get rid), so you can turn the brightness up to 100 and down to 0, and you will not see any flickering at all. All the LG panels use no PWM. Thankfully. The screen coating is lovely, it's not harsh like on my previous dell, giving a matte effect. (Same as on the Asus)

The colours pop, and the contrast is great. Gaming is fantastic on this panel, no motion blur in the games I played.

If you can get a good panel, I recommend this one, due to the stand, the USB hub and the build quality. I would have kept mine if not for the issues I had.

Overall, it's a great monitor.

I simply cannot go back to a "normal" monitor after using 21:9.
Although I imagine I will be buying one of the 34" 1440p monitors once they come down in price.
Probably next year.

I hope you get a good panel if you like watching horror films or playing horror games.
These are great monitors.
Just a shame mine all had issues.
on 27 October 2013
Arrived as Scheduled. Excellent wide viewing angles. Even brighter than i need, so I usually run it on 60% brightness - easy to use menus. A bonus feature is the 'Easy Arrange' function that splits the screen into as amny smaller sub-screens as you like and windows automatically fit into the sub-screens. So easy to use.
on 30 August 2014
I bought this as I was tired of using a TV as a monitor.

At first I was umming and aaa-ing as I didn't think I'd need the extra horizontal screen real-estate for anything meaningful. I was also thinking that my Acer Aspire S7 didn't have the necessary HDMI version to display at the screen's native resolution - apparently HDMI 2.0 is required to view at this resolution.

I ordered the product when I was on holiday and got the product in two days - 1 Star.

The product was in tip-top condition (as expected) and the initial setup was a breeze - 1 Star.

After hooking up laptop via HDMI and crossing my fingers, I was happy that my laptop was able to support the native resolution. I was also surprised that I didn't need to adjust my eyes for the different aspect ratio and infact I prefer this aspect ratio to the standard 16:9 (although this is subjective). . The height adjustable stand is a big bonus. There are plenty of other 21:9 screens out there but for the sake of ~£30 I think I made the right choice. The colours are very vibrant and I have no dead pixels. Now I just need to worry about where to put the 32" LG. Excellent buy. - 3 Stars.

Once I've experience the 21:9 aspect ratio, I'm going to have trouble adjusting to 16:9.
on 16 March 2014
I went for one of these after 2 faulty AOC 29" UWHD monitors. So far it's looking good, at least once I worked out that the idiotic "Smart Video Enhance" mode was messing with the colour setup and turned it off. It doesn't suffer quite so much from falloff at the screen edges as the AOC either. It does have one dead green subpixel, and the adjacent red subpixel is not entirely dead but not working correctly. So there is a very tiny dark blemish when displaying some colours, but I really don't notice it. The reason it's getting 4 stars and not 5 is the colour balance is not even - when you display a white screen, there are distinct alternating vertical bands of very slight pink and green tinges towards the bottom of the screen. Enabling the "Uniformity Compensation" feature gets rid of them, but bizarrely turns the rest of the screen, which was formerly quite uniform, into a psychedelic swirl of (again very slight) pink and green tinges. So thanks for this feature, but no thanks.
on 16 April 2015
For personal use I use a high spec laptop in two different locations and in each routinely connect it to an external mouse, keyboard and monitor. I have always wanted two monitors as I do at work, but have never found a satisfactory way of running two from the single hdmi output on the Vaio laptop. These new 29:9 format screens solve the problem. This 29" beauty is very good value. The 34" ones remain rather costly. I had some initial difficulty in getting the right image. This turned out to be down to using a hdmi/dv-i cable. A hdmi/hdmi produced an immediate and perfect result. When I first read of these I thought it was a fad, but the experience is entirely different. All the benefits of two screens driven as one, via one lead and one graphic card. The quality of this Dell is very high and the design is excellent, and with a smooth, weighted hight adjustment. What a great discovery.