5.0 out of 5 stars Great picture
It was time to replace my faithful Silicon Graphics flat panel after many years of service. Special realised that I was getting sore eyes due to the slight flicker that was only noticeable on black.
Did my research and eventually went for Dell.
Quality of the image is outstanding. Can spend longer working now.
Only issue I would say is with the connectors...
Published 17 months ago by S. P. Kindlen

2.0 out of 5 stars Poor quality with other issues
I looked long and hard at getting one of these, I had seen a lot of good reviews and a few bad but decided to take a chance. Here are my thoughts on this monitor

Build
Published 3 days ago by A. Tomkins

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Great picture, 19 Mar 2013
S. P. Kindlen (Scotland, Alva) - See all my reviews
Did my research and eventually went for Dell.
Quality of the image is outstanding. Can spend longer working now.
Only issue I would say is with the connectors being very close to casing at the back. So it was fiddly getting the HDMI connector in, at one point was for giving in and sending the monitor back. As where the casing ends is directly in line with connector.Setting the connector further back would make it less of a squeeze.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic monitor!, 17 Sep 2013
This review is from: Dell U2913WM 29 inch Widescreen LED Monitor (2560x1080, HDMI, DVI-D, DisplayPort 1.2, Mini DisplayPort, VGA, 4x USB 3.0) (Personal Computers)
Unlike a few of the other reviewers, I didn't notice any quality control issues. My sample was well put together, at least as good as my previous monitor (a Samsung 24" LCD). The stand is simple but effective. Most importantly, the image quality is excellent. Text is sharp, and I have not noticed any ghosting when gaming. The width of the monitor means that one can easily have two windows open side by side, which is very useful. A few years back I used to use 2 monitors side by side but I switched back to a single monitor in order to free up space on my desk. I've always missed that dual monitor functionality and this Dell does the job with just one monitor.

The monitor comes with a factory calibrated sRGB preset, which looks very natural. A calibration report is enclosed with the monitor, which is a nice touch.

The only negative that I can think of is that 2560x1080 support in games is far from universal. Several recent games that I have tried do not support this resolution, even with the latest patches, which is disappointing. But those that do look amazing!

If you do decide to buy this, be warned that when you first unbox it, it is startlingly wide! It does take a while to get used to the size and shape, but once you do there's no going back to 16:9 or 16:10.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best monitor I have ever had!, 23 May 2013
This monitor is amazing. I wanted a big high resolution monitor to go along with my computer upgrades this year and originally went with a Dell U2713hm but was very disappointed with it. Bad backlight bleed and obvious cross hatching pattern on bottom half of the screen.
Then I heard about the 120Hz monitors so I went and got a couple of BenQ 2411Ts. However the picture quality was so bad, even after calibration that I refused to keep them. I returned them and got a U2913wm instead, and am I glad I did!
The picture quality is stunning. The slim bezel is fantastic, makes the monitor look so premium. No backlight bleed. No stupid cross hatching. The ultra wide aspect ratio may take a little getting used to but you will learn to love it.
If I could change anything about the monitor, it would probably be adding just a little extra vertical pixels. Increase the resolution to 2560*1200 and perhaps increase the refresh rate to 120Hz. That would make it absolutely perfect, but in its current form it is as near perfect as any monitor I have seen.

4.0 out of 5 stars Moved from a 27'' 16:9 to this, 18 Feb 2014
As a gamer
I was really concerned when moving to this 21:9 size.
Many people complained about the loss of height and only a slight gain in width its also a drop from 120hz with 3D to 60hz

When I took it out of the box I felt disappointing. Its definitely considerably narrower how will it even compare?
The colours on these IPS panels are supposed to be much better so lets get going and see how it is!

3 weeks in and I can say this.
Side by side the colours are obviously superior and far richer.
But playing on one and then playing on the other the difference is forgettable.

The loss of height and gain of width?
Its very marmite, It makes browsing and desktop use far better and with gaming you get that extra wide field of view.
FPS's/MMO's well really all types of games it opens up so much more usable space!

I would say if your on a 27' 16:9 and were thinking about swapping. Think about it long and hard.
If you have cash to burn sure go ahead, but given the choice again I'd stay with my 27'' 16:9

The 34'' 21:9's are out in the next few months...
They have the height of a 27'' with huge width.

Now they are something to consider.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just what I needed, 27 Oct 2013
P. Fludder (West Sussex, UK) - See all my reviews
Arrived as Scheduled. Excellent wide viewing angles. Even brighter than i need, so I usually run it on 60% brightness - easy to use menus. A bonus feature is the 'Easy Arrange' function that splits the screen into as amny smaller sub-screens as you like and windows automatically fit into the sub-screens. So easy to use.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic screen, 9 April 2014
I record and mix music, screen real estate is important to me, this delivers perfectly, the IPS panel provides a lovely pictorial experience.
I did a lot of research before purchasing this because I needed the height adjustment and a screen that wouldn't give you eye fatigue, this seemed to be the best in its class.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent value, 5 Sep 2013
Very pleased with the display.
True plug and play with a crisp clear screen.
Works great set up as a split screen duo.

2.0 out of 5 stars Poor quality with other issues, 29 Aug 2014
A. Tomkins "Risktaker" (Northamptonshire, UK) - See all my reviews

Build
I found the build quality to be variable across the monitor The stand which just clips into the rear of the monitor is solid and heavy, it also has a good foot print so doesn't take up too much desk. however one the monitor is mounted on the stand it is nearly impossible to get the monitor to sit level, I levelled my desk using a spirit level but could not get the monitor to sit level unless I packed the base up on one edge. By contrast my 24" viewsonic monitor has a stiff enough mount that you can adjust the monitor with your hand to a level position.
The actual screen is not as well build with a lot of flex in the body and loose plastic panels on the rear of the unit. My unit also had
a sever back light bleed in the bottom left of the screen. There is also a huge amount of IPS glow and I could find no sweet spot to reduce this to an acceptable level, I appreciate that this is a wide screen and IPS technology has this issue but is much worse than my current monitor which is the same vertical height as this monitor.
The anti glare coating I did like as it was a minimal level of grain which did not grain the displayed image as much as some monitors I have seen (including my current monitor)

Interface.
I found the menus to be reasonably intuitive and easy to use. There is a lot of options which could be confusing but there is plenty of web resource to help with this although out of the box set up is ok if a touch on the bright side.

Picture.
I purchase this primarily to watch movies on and for the extra productivity real estate. For movies it is excellent for anything shot in 21:9 format (or there abouts) and makes for a real cinema feeling. I found the IPS glow to be very distracting though and could not find an angle which minimised this, and that included moving to a good distance away. otherwise great colours and extremely bright when turned all the way up.

Overall.
Mine was returned due to the back light bleed which effected about 20% in the bottom left of the panel and is something I could not put up. I think I would have returned anyway due to the horrible IPS glow which is worse than I have seen on any other monitor and the never level stand which in tandem would have driven my OCD neatness tendencies up the wall. Not the quality I expected for a 300+ monitor, my 200 Viewsonic knocked it into a cocked hat in all departments except anti glare coating which I liked on the Dell. I think I will wait for either 4k to be more affordable or a 2nd or 3rd gen of these monitor (or one with a non LG panel in).

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this monitor., 30 Aug 2014
I bought this as I was tired of using a TV as a monitor.

At first I was umming and aaa-ing as I didn't think I'd need the extra horizontal screen real-estate for anything meaningful. I was also thinking that my Acer Aspire S7 didn't have the necessary HDMI version to display at the screen's native resolution - apparently HDMI 2.0 is required to view at this resolution.

I ordered the product when I was on holiday and got the product in two days - 1 Star.

The product was in tip-top condition (as expected) and the initial setup was a breeze - 1 Star.

After hooking up laptop via HDMI and crossing my fingers, I was happy that my laptop was able to support the native resolution. I was also surprised that I didn't need to adjust my eyes for the different aspect ratio and infact I prefer this aspect ratio to the standard 16:9 (although this is subjective). . The height adjustable stand is a big bonus. There are plenty of other 21:9 screens out there but for the sake of ~30 I think I made the right choice. The colours are very vibrant and I have no dead pixels. Now I just need to worry about where to put the 32" LG. Excellent buy. - 3 Stars.

Once I've experience the 21:9 aspect ratio, I'm going to have trouble adjusting to 16:9.

4.0 out of 5 stars Worthy niche product deserving success but with quality control issues., 14 July 2013
Mr. S. Penman "MedicineMan" (Falkirk) - See all my reviews
Unfortunately, alongside a recent purchaser and reviewer, I too am having to send back this product due to backlighting bleed issues- most severe in bottom left corner but also moderately in upper left too. I would have liked a replacement but Amazon will only refund, which means I am going to have to reorder and be out of pocket during the overlap period as I am trying again. If the next one is not up to reasonable standard it will not be tried for further. This product has received praise in a specialist monitor review website and certainly has potential, but must be of better standard to justify the asking price, expensive for the pixel count. Ignore the RRP, this is giving the impression of a bargain. This has the potential to be a very good product, it certainly has good connectivity, adjustability and design. I will have to wait and see what comes next.

Edit- having received the second monitor I am now satisfied with the product quality, hence from two stars to four. This item comes highly recommended for pc gaming, there are many titles which will support this resolution and some suprising popular ones which will not. Please not that you will be most unlikely to get full screen Blu-Ray playback with an attached dedicated player via HDMI- this caught me out and was the secondary reason for buying this monitor. You will get scaled full screen displayed from a pc Blu- Ray connection but requiring specific ridiculously priced software. This isn't the monitors fault, though. Still loses one star for price,(probably due to it being a novel display type with low current demand) and the lack of automatic input switching. Hope to see this become a mainstream display- supported games will give excellent colours and crisp displays.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›