5.0 out of 5 stars FULL OF INFORMATION, ADVICE AND CARE
This is an excellent book, by a most knowledgeable author who has much experience in dealing with autistic children and who also runs a website on the topic. I am sure it will be of great value to any parent with an autistic child.

Published 20 months ago by michaelmac43

3.0 out of 5 stars Extra tips on dealing with Autistic Children
My son is current,y going through the process of tests for ASD, so I thought I'd do a bit of reading to see what I could do at home to help. After reading this book, I have come to the conclusion that my son may only be affected very very mildly as none of the descriptions in the book were relevant to anything he does. However it would have been useful if he was strongly...
Published 15 months ago by Emclare78

5.0 out of 5 stars FULL OF INFORMATION, ADVICE AND CARE, 24 Dec 2012
This review is from: Autism - A Practical Guide for Parents (Kindle Edition)

What impressed me most was that a massive amount of information is conveyed but the writing style never patronises those whose level of knowledge on the subject is limited. (As mine was before starting the book)

I liked also the practical advice about how to create activities; how to create simple resources to engage the child in those activities; and, best of all, ways to hold their attention and motivate the child to want to repeat the activities.

The writing style is good too, making this an easy read despite the mass of information contained in the book.

There is an extensive resources section, to which the text contains frequent links. Other expert authors on the subject are referred to and recommended.

As well as the undoubted expertise, what comes through too is the caring attitude of Mr Yau; he is not just an academic.

Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Informative, 25 Mar 2013
This review is from: Autism - A Practical Guide for Parents (Kindle Edition)
My daughter is currently under assesment for Autism so I wanted to know a little more about it and how I can help and encourage her development and to deal with situation she struggles with. I realy enjoyed the way that Alan Yau wrote this book and the experiences he has had made me feel he was not just talking about Autism from a textbook but from the situations he has been in with the children he worked with. Really enjoyed this book and feel I have been given a number of ideas for ways in which I can deal with certain situations and also new games to play :).

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent!!, 11 Jun 2013
This review is from: Autism - A Practical Guide for Parents (Kindle Edition)
What an excellent read!! This has helped me out with so much information on autism, I'm yet waiting on a diagnosis from paediatric for my 3 yr old son , he does have the symptoms of autism he is also non verbal . I wanted to gather so much information and I got just that!! Thank you so much.

5.0 out of 5 stars Short and too the point, 5 Jan 2013
This review is from: Autism - A Practical Guide for Parents (Kindle Edition)
I found this book very useful.
My son is three years old and has just had his formal diagnosis of ASD a few weeks ago.
He is non verbal, has sensory processing disorder and other disabilities.
We found the bubbles to be of amazing therapeutic value and a lot of fun.
Will try implementing many more of the authors strategies in to our daily lives.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely brilliant resource & introduction to Autism, 28 Dec 2012
This review is from: Autism - A Practical Guide for Parents (Kindle Edition)
The title of this book says it's for Parents but, in reality, anyone who has any contact with someone, especially a child, on the Autistic Disorder spectrum. My wife & I have the privilege and pleasure of knowing, as friends and working in partnership with, people with Autism. This book would have been a great help for us when we started. I have suggested to Alan Yau (the author) that he write another book aimed at a more general audience - his understanding and practical suggestions are so useful and helpful!

I highly recommend this book not only to parents, just starting on this exciting journey with their children, but also to anyone who might know someone with autism.

4.0 out of 5 stars not being a parent but...., 27 Dec 2012
This review is from: Autism - A Practical Guide for Parents (Kindle Edition)
Not being a parent, but wanting to understand more, to better understand and hopefully be more patient and understanding with friends who do, I found this book very helpful. It is very practical and do able, and a great tool

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb resource!, 8 Dec 2012
This review is from: Autism - A Practical Guide for Parents (Kindle Edition)
Not only is this a great book for parents with children on the spectrum, but it's accessibility makes it an excellent book to give to (often bewildered) grandparents, friends and everyone else who comes into your child's orbit, and who wants to understand them better. Our 8-year-old son Sam has autism, and we have constantly benefited from Alan's teaching, huge experience, knowledge and wisdom, both through his books and his brilliant Autism Sparks website. An absolute must.

5.0 out of 5 stars As described, 13 July 2014
Book is as description

5.0 out of 5 stars lovely book, 6 May 2014
This book was easy to read and had some real life experiences with autism. I would recomend this book if you have just found out about your childs autism

5.0 out of 5 stars Reccommended, 5 May 2014
After finding out that our Grand son had Autism, decided to purchase this book so that I could hopefully help him as much as I can. Really good book which is helping me understand his world. Can really recommend anyone buying this book. I hope it helps you like it is helping us.