5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful eye opener.
Alan Yau has worked as a teacher and has been involved in helping children with autism spectrum disorder for 20 years. In this book he offers advice to parents so that they can help their child.

Published 7 months ago by Stephen Clynes

3.0 out of 5 stars Extra tips on dealing with Autistic Children
My son is current,y going through the process of tests for ASD, so I thought I'd do a bit of reading to see what I could do at home to help. After reading this book, I have come to the conclusion that my son may only be affected very very mildly as none of the descriptions in the book were relevant to anything he does. However it would have been useful if he was strongly...
Published on 4 May 2013 by Emclare78

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful eye opener., 30 Nov. 2014
This review is from: Autism - A Practical Guide for Parents (Kindle Edition)

Before reading this book, I knew nothing about autism. Boys are 4 times more likely to have autism than girls. About 1 in 88 children in America are now identified as having autism. People with autism have difficulties in three areas, known as "the triad of impairments": social interaction, social communication and rigidity in thinking. There is currently no cure for autism - and many individuals would argue that they don't need to be cured.

I found this book a wonderful eye opener. It let's you into the mind of the child with autism, so that you can experience the world from their point of view. Alan has written a great book that is very easy to understand. He appears to be a great teacher and really knows how peoples' minds actually work, whether the person has autism or not. This book is a great mixture of theory, problem solving and case studies. Because each aspect of autism covered ends with a case study, you really understand how peoples' brains are wired and how they feel. I found the mindset of autism so very easy to relate to.

I am not the parent of a child with autism but my day job is a coach driver for National Express. Passengers with autism do not wear a badge to alert the driver but can have a distressing journey because of the ways our industry works and how frequently things change. Reading this book has really helped me to understand the mindset of passengers who I will unknowingly meet every working day.

I really enjoyed reading this book and Alan is clearly an expert in his field. His talents as an author are great, the structure of this guide is spot on and he explains everything really well, so it does not matter if you knew nothing about autism beforehand. I can find nothing wrong with this book and I learned a great deal. I found this guide a very good read and it get's the top score of 5 stars from me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Informative, 25 Mar. 2013
This review is from: Autism - A Practical Guide for Parents (Kindle Edition)
My daughter is currently under assesment for Autism so I wanted to know a little more about it and how I can help and encourage her development and to deal with situation she struggles with. I realy enjoyed the way that Alan Yau wrote this book and the experiences he has had made me feel he was not just talking about Autism from a textbook but from the situations he has been in with the children he worked with. Really enjoyed this book and feel I have been given a number of ideas for ways in which I can deal with certain situations and also new games to play :).

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent!!, 11 Jun. 2013
This review is from: Autism - A Practical Guide for Parents (Kindle Edition)
What an excellent read!! This has helped me out with so much information on autism, I'm yet waiting on a diagnosis from paediatric for my 3 yr old son , he does have the symptoms of autism he is also non verbal . I wanted to gather so much information and I got just that!! Thank you so much.

5.0 out of 5 stars FULL OF INFORMATION, ADVICE AND CARE, 24 Dec. 2012
This review is from: Autism - A Practical Guide for Parents (Kindle Edition)
This is an excellent book, by a most knowledgeable author who has much experience in dealing with autistic children and who also runs a website on the topic. I am sure it will be of great value to any parent with an autistic child.

What impressed me most was that a massive amount of information is conveyed but the writing style never patronises those whose level of knowledge on the subject is limited. (As mine was before starting the book)

I liked also the practical advice about how to create activities; how to create simple resources to engage the child in those activities; and, best of all, ways to hold their attention and motivate the child to want to repeat the activities.

The writing style is good too, making this an easy read despite the mass of information contained in the book.

There is an extensive resources section, to which the text contains frequent links. Other expert authors on the subject are referred to and recommended.

As well as the undoubted expertise, what comes through too is the caring attitude of Mr Yau; he is not just an academic.

Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars A short book packed with ideas & strategies to help your child right away, written in a warm, easy to read tone by someone with, 7 Jun. 2015
This review is from: Autism - A Practical Guide for Parents (Kindle Edition)
This short, simple book is quickly and easily read, yet contains the widest range of practical guidance & support I have come across. I think Alan has addressed all aspects of our child's autistic behaviours with warmth and compassion and shown good concrete examples of helping strategies. I am excited to try out these strategies and I have also found the recommended resources really helpful. I liked the advice to read wide and use our own intuition as to what works best for our own child -sensible advice to me because many autistic behaviours seem so unusual that it could be possible to blindly follow expert advice without question in much the same way that we take medicine not understanding exactly what it is but simply trusting the experts. Looking forward to some seriously fun playtime with my child! I will use these ideas, resources and my own instinct.
Thanks so much for this great book. Certainly has been inspirational for me :-)

5.0 out of 5 stars Short and too the point, 5 Jan. 2013
This review is from: Autism - A Practical Guide for Parents (Kindle Edition)
I found this book very useful.
My son is three years old and has just had his formal diagnosis of ASD a few weeks ago.
He is non verbal, has sensory processing disorder and other disabilities.
We found the bubbles to be of amazing therapeutic value and a lot of fun.
Will try implementing many more of the authors strategies in to our daily lives.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely brilliant resource & introduction to Autism, 28 Dec. 2012
This review is from: Autism - A Practical Guide for Parents (Kindle Edition)
The title of this book says it's for Parents but, in reality, anyone who has any contact with someone, especially a child, on the Autistic Disorder spectrum. My wife & I have the privilege and pleasure of knowing, as friends and working in partnership with, people with Autism. This book would have been a great help for us when we started. I have suggested to Alan Yau (the author) that he write another book aimed at a more general audience - his understanding and practical suggestions are so useful and helpful!

I highly recommend this book not only to parents, just starting on this exciting journey with their children, but also to anyone who might know someone with autism.

4.0 out of 5 stars not being a parent but...., 27 Dec. 2012
This review is from: Autism - A Practical Guide for Parents (Kindle Edition)
Not being a parent, but wanting to understand more, to better understand and hopefully be more patient and understanding with friends who do, I found this book very helpful. It is very practical and do able, and a great tool

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb resource!, 8 Dec. 2012
This review is from: Autism - A Practical Guide for Parents (Kindle Edition)
Not only is this a great book for parents with children on the spectrum, but it's accessibility makes it an excellent book to give to (often bewildered) grandparents, friends and everyone else who comes into your child's orbit, and who wants to understand them better. Our 8-year-old son Sam has autism, and we have constantly benefited from Alan's teaching, huge experience, knowledge and wisdom, both through his books and his brilliant Autism Sparks website. An absolute must.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely fabulous!, 24 April 2013
Such a brilliant book, mega enjoyed reading it and got loads of information from it. Would recommend it to anyone who has a autistic child, found it very helpful as we have only had our daughters ASD diagnosis for 4 months so we are still learning and trying to understand her. Thanks so much for writing such a fabulous book x