5.0 out of 5 stars Oh to live in memory lane
From the moment I bought this album, over thirty years ago,it has been one of my all time favorites,from the first note to the last.Easily the best album Grenslade put out.I even had the album cover as a huge poster on my wall,such memorys.The best of all; hidden away in the drum solo of Drum Folk is possibly a few minutes of the best music written.Prog rock at its best.
Published on 19 July 2007 by Ian Jarman

3.0 out of 5 stars Album review
Bedside manners are extra is OK but not especially fluent. The original greenslade album just called Greenslade is altogether superior
Published on 13 Aug 2010 by nimrod

5.0 out of 5 stars Oh to live in memory lane, 19 July 2007
Ian Jarman "Jarzy" (Wellington,Som,Eng) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Early 70's Prog - rock. Greenslade's best album, 28 Sep 2001
By A Customer
Greenslade were and still are one of my favourite progressive rock bands. 'Bedside Manners' is their second and in my opinion, best album.
The album starts with the title track, sung by Lawson in his one unmistakable style with the band working in harmony on this mid paced number. The vocals are intersperced with excellent keyboards and improvisations that are not too OTT.
The second track, Pilgrims Progress is probably my favourite. An instrumental that rocks along at a pace with inspired playing by Dave Greenslade and the rest of the band. Any Emerson Lake & Palmer fan would have to take their hat off to this one. Although Pilgrims Progress is not avant garde it shows just how effective a keyboard led band can be.
The album continues to impress with every track, Drum Folk contains excellent percussion work alongside rapid fire keyboards, with the drums taking over for a memorable solo mid way through.
The album has an atmosphere and character that is hard to describe. The best way is to have a listen, I'm grateful for the CD release as my vinyl has been played much more than most albums in my collection of Prog rock.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of The Best, 31 Dec 2007
I. G. Tompkins "Hagar1369" (Poole, Doset) - See all my reviews
In my mind one of the best prog rock Bands of the 70`s.Shame they were not as well known as the likes of ELP and Pink Floyd etc.But they have a large following. First heard of them by word of mouth around 1974 saw them many times live. This was their second album and probably their best.
Drum Folk(track 4)a brilliant mixture of fast keyboards and one of the best drum solo`s i`ve ever heard. No mordern bands can keep you entertained with songs more than 10 minutes long the way Greenslade do.

5.0 out of 5 stars an old friend..., 1 Mar 2003
P. Whitehead (UK) - See all my reviews
..and that's what this album is, an old friend.

I was first introduced to Greenslade by Tommy Vance on the Friday Night Rock Show in 1982 (or thereabouts). He played the title track 'Bedside Manners' and another, 'Pilgrims Progress', and I was mesmerised. I scooted off on my bike and bought the album the next day. And it remained on my record player for months, gradually getting worn out...

Now, music is a very personal thing but, to me, every track is a classic. To me, Greenslade didn't get it together with the first album (that, to me, is an unfocused mess)and became a tad too commercial by their third album, Spyglass Guest. That's a **** album, this is a *****. Every track is a classic. And in Pilgrim's Progress, well, the keyboard playing is amazing...

I was sooooooooooo glad when this album was re-issued on CD.

4.0 out of 5 stars Extra quality, 15 Dec 2010
D. J. H. Thorn "davethorn13" (Hull, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Greenslade are one of those bands that forever live in the shade of prog giants such as Yes and Genesis, having come to the party complete with their Roger Dean artwork after their better-known contemporaries. This, their second album, is probably their best, although only their first rivals it. Made in 1973, it is unusual for featuring two keyboard players in preference to a guitarist, the result being a battery of pianos, organ and mellotron over a sturdy rhythm section.

It's by no means flawless. The lyrics to 'Time To Dream' and 'Sunkissed You're Not' sound awkward at times, while the ominously-titled 'Drum Folk' largely delivers what you fear. The gentle, undulating title track is, however, a lovely song with plenty of light and shade, while 'Pilgrim's Progress' and the closer, 'Chalkhill' are cracking insrumentals. Greenslade's music isn't difficult as prog goes, but is mostly quite melodic, and this is a very good addition to the genre.

3.0 out of 5 stars Album review, 13 Aug 2010

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 2 Aug 2014
This review is from: Bedside Manners Are Extra (MP3 Download)
Its in the wax to the max

Bedside Manners Are Extra