5.0 out of 5 stars Extraordinary!
Published 17 months ago by Helen Kelley

1.0 out of 5 stars One Star
Last DVD did not work
Published 10 days ago by Marilyn Ellen Dunkley

5.0 out of 5 stars Extraordinary!, 15 April 2013
Helen Kelley (Pleasantville, NY United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Call the Midwife Collection - Series 1-2 + Christmas Special [DVD] (DVD)
My shipment arrived a few days ago. After the activities of the week, tonight I sat down to savor this marvelous gem--this treasure. I was fortunate enough to watch Series 1 here in the States, and at the end of viewing Series 1 I was hooked. This is quality acting, writing, directing, location, stories, character development, etc, etc, etc. I started with the Christmas Special being particularly fascinated by the Chumley character. I was a child in the 50's, however, it brings back nostalgic remembrances. Pam Ferris is one of my favorite British actresses. Each actor brings such nuance that they make this series so real. It felt as if I could pick up my phone and call for a midwife. The "love" tension between the nun and the doctor brings real human grist to the story line--for we all struggle at time in our lives between what we "love" and what is right. The dynamic between each midwife--each with unique character qualities felt alive. This Anglophile joins together with all the reviewers who have been touched & entertained by Call the Midwife. I am now going to invest in the books, for this series has been a real motivator to indulge myself.

5.0 out of 5 stars Drama at its best, 9 May 2013
Beautiful period piece set during the 1950's in Poplar in the East End of London. Extremely realistic plots and sets. Great characterisation. Thoroughly enjoyable.

5.0 out of 5 stars Call the Midwife Series, 27 May 2013
Helen O'neill (Melbourne, Australia) - See all my reviews
Loved this, great entertainment and enjoyment, I then read the book and it was great to read the stories I had seen on the dvd and made them even funnier. Recommend both book and dvds.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brillj, 15 May 2013
Really enjoyed the tv series so DVD was the next step.
Great value for what you get, quick delivery, so was very happy with this

5.0 out of 5 stars I can't believe how much I enjoyed this! But that is not all!, 5 Mar 2014
I loved the book, so I wanted to see the show. So I bought it, essentially over my husband's "dead body." He watched two episodes--and was hooked. He loved it! And so did I, of course. The stories are interesting, and they didn't mess with the book TOO much. Miranda Hart is wonderful--in fact, everyone is wonderful, but this is the part Miranda Hart was born to play. The childbirth scenes are simply remarkable. It is a really satisfying adaptation--and it has a strong moral compass, which I also appreciate. Well done, everyone!

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than watching the first time!, 28 April 2013
So nice to have these all together, especially when you are confined to bed as I have been with a nasty virus - these dvds made my headache, earache and sore throat a little more bearable - thankyou for releasing them as you do miss bits when you watch on prime time tv with everything (and everyone else) all around you - to view them in serenity, soft bedsheets and honey & lemon at the ready, without interruption, was a joy for me. Well done with the release of this set. Looking forward mpew to series 3.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely love it., 16 May 2013
As I missed the first episodes of this excellent series;, I purchased the set of DVDs so that I could see the beginning. They arrived well before the expected delivery date. Set is in a presentation box.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 3 May 2013
Picture quality is perfect, I just adore the series I watch it over and over again!!! I highly recommend it

5.0 out of 5 stars great series, great price, 28 April 2013
I have really enjoyed this box set and I think the price was great. Far less than buying each dvd seperately

5.0 out of 5 stars fab series, 28 April 2013
Could watch these over and over and always spot something new! Great characters and story lines just like the book. Brilliant actors!

Call the Midwife Collection - Series 1-2 + Christmas Special [DVD]