5.0 out of 5 stars Fresh, vital and captivating
Hard to believe how fresh these guys are able to sound 38 years after their first album.
I had not great expectations about this one. Based on the two previous studio albums, I just awaited another "Rush by numbers" work. I mean: powerful, hard hitting and masterfully executed, but not especially inspired.. I liked Snakes and Arrows a bit more than Vapor Trails, but...
Published on 21 Jun. 2012 by Adrian Gonbar

3.0 out of 5 stars not sure.....
a bit full in the face for me, not the variation of their old stuff but will keep trying
Published 10 days ago by Martin V. Ford

‹ Previous | 1 2 319 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent new album by one of the best rock bands ever, 21 Mar. 2013
This review is from: Clockwork Angels (Audio CD)
this is an excellent new album by one of the best rock bands ever. Finally Rush will be inducted into the Rock'n'Roll Hall of Fame and about time too. They are far and away the best Canadian band ever and in terms of longevity and quality of output there are not many bands in the world who can compete. This new album has some cracking tracks and the musicianship is superb as ever. Get it, enjoy it and rock on Tommy!

5.0 out of 5 stars Grower, 13 Feb. 2013
This review is from: Clockwork Angels (Audio CD)
First listen was better then expected.
Second / third listen - pretty average
fourth / fifth listen - the music starts to get a hold of you...and it releases it's treasures... these guys are the real deal - we are honoured to have them making music - going to see them for first time in May - can't wait...
Song 'The Wreckers' must be the best chorus / melody since Time Stand Still... for me at least - watch the video on youtube... really unusual and works a treat!
Col

5.0 out of 5 stars Clockwork Angels, 20 Nov. 2012
This review is from: Clockwork Angels (Audio CD)
With this album Rush have managed to re-visit their older styles and sounds without sounding "old and dated". There are some great songs and as expected some great playing.

Geddy Lee's bass sound is awesome, the last few of their more recent albums I found his sound was getting very toppy, but the sound of his bass on some of the tracks on Clockwork Angels really take me back to the early Rush sound, but it still sounds new at the same time!

Longtime Rush fans will love this album I'm sure, I have been into Rush since 1981, and this is my favourite of their albums of the 00's.

5.0 out of 5 stars Clockwork Angels? Nothing mechanical about this release!, 8 Nov. 2012
Michael Smith ""SAY HELLO TO GOOD TIMES"" (Norfolk, UK, in a little village named Crimplesham...) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Clockwork Angels (Audio CD)
Ok...I'm quite young to be a "die hard" Rush fan. I'm 22 and only discovered them after buying Moving Pictures on a whim last year, but I can safely say in the year since then they have become one of my very favourite bands!

I now own nine of their albums, most of them being their 70's output, and I love that side of their career! I haven't heard much else outside of those releases, but I loved what I knew enough for me to buy the Classic Rock fan pack the day of it's release!

The moment I played this album I fell in love! The whole album is simply gorgeous...it has this wonderful sense of fun and the musicianship is second to none! I haven't been playing these albums of Rush for decades, so I am not as familiar with them as much as a fan from the seventies would be! But to my ears, Clockwork Angels sounds like a classic along the lines of 2112, Fly By Night or Moving Pictures.

Every song on this disc is a winner, but for me, Caravan, BU2B, Clockwork Angels, Seven Cities of Gold, The Wreckers, Headlong Flight and the sumptuous lyrical masterpiece The Garden stand out as definitive highlights!

For me, as a new fan, this is up there with their best stuff. I think it builds onto the work of Snakes and Arrows wonderfully, and to think this album was made by a group of men old enough to be my father, well I'm captivated and delighted! To my ears, this album has the energy of a debut album. The only thing that betrays that is the quality of musicianship and the strength of the songwriting.

I won't touch upon the concept behind the albums theme, or pick out the finest moments of each individual player (whoda thunk Rush was a trio? This sounds like an orchestra of rock musicians!), as for me Clockwork Angels is more than a story, and more than the mere sum of its parts. It's the best elements of a classic summer blockbuster gathered together into audio form. It's without a doubt the most exciting album of 2012, and I cannot see how anybody could be disappointed!

Album of the year, and one of the best albums I've ever heard in my life!

5.0 out of 5 stars super fantastic, 27 Oct. 2012
This review is from: Clockwork Angels (Audio CD)
Seen every tour since 1978. Got the vinyls, cds, programmes, autographs, and the the T SHIRT!! This is their best EVER. I stayed through the synth years and pretentious lyrics. Forgave much. Now they play their instruments!! Tighter and better than ever. 6 stars..

5.0 out of 5 stars Pleasant surprise!, 28 Sept. 2012
This review is from: Clockwork Angels (Audio CD)
Grew up with prog rock and am huge Yes and Pink Floyd fan. Rush never quite did it for me as, between moments of brilliance, they can be quite ordinary and wayward. But make no mistake, this is a superb album from start to finish. It's full of pace, passion and excitement and has some of the most pulsating bass riffs I've ever heard on a rock album.

For me it's more rock than prog rock and there are none of the ethereal synths and cosmic type moods, structures and sentiments of Floyd, Yes, Marillion etc. This is full on rock and hurtles along, never running low on inspiration. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Back in the fold..., 31 July 2012
This review is from: Clockwork Angels (Audio CD)
During the years 1978 to 1983 Rush were my musical world. Liked other bands, loved Rush. Collected everything from Albums and Singles, posters, badges, patches...the whole early teens malarkey. I bought Permanent Waves, Moving Pictures, Signals and Grace.. on release day and all 4 are still firm favourites. And then Power Windows shot them down. Bought it and could not - no matter what - get into it. Sold it to a mate at college. After that, I never really went back. Bought the live DVD's, bought Lighted Stage, saw them live...but no album purchases. On the recommendation of my brother in law I picked this one up last week...and not stopped playing it since. Not going to review it, will just say ignore the doubters...this is a 10/10

5.0 out of 5 stars What do you lack?, 30 Jun. 2012
This review is from: Clockwork Angels (Audio CD)
That's a good question pedlar. It's the album that in my youth I would have liked to have followed Hemispheres, especially lyrically. But it wasn't and that was over 30 years ago; times have changed.

When I first heard Caravan and BU2B, I had no idea they would be part of a concept, the tracks (at the time) standing up as individual songs ... but now they don't. Having accepted the intro/verse - chorus - verse - chorus - solo - chorus Rush, going back to the open source concept Rush is not an easy transition for me. Although I never did get 2112, preferring Caress of Steel's diversity. Lyrically the songs sound odd taken out of the context of the album and also listened to out of sequence. But at least, unlike 2112, the main character chooses life - I like a happy ending.

Clockwork Angels is an album of vibrancy, colour, depth and variety, all songs performed with impeccable musicianship (taken for granted) and I do like the string arrangements for a change of direction. But I feel that Geddy has had a little too much influence in places, putting his foot on the break to slow tracks down rather than keeping the pace going and then sticking it to the floor for Alex to have a good old fashioned thrash at.

Is this a great Rush album? Yes. Is it a classic Rush album? No. There are moments of classic (Caravan and BU2B), moments of greatness (Carnies and Headlong Flight) and a moment of Tai Shan (The Wreckers). But it's The Garden that has taken me completely off guard and shown a side of Rush that I thought had long gone. Utterly infectious.

Looking back and with rose tinted glasses removed, if you were to truthfully rate each track from each album and then calculated the average score, you may be surprised at what you find. I only had one true classic score ... Permanent Waves, with Test for Echo superglued to the bottom for all eternity. As Rush fans we are allowed to be analytical and critical of our heroes (especially me), but even I would defend Dog Years as the greatest song of all time in the face of a non-believer.

Amazon star ratings only go as far as 5, so 5 it is. But Rush ratings go to 10 and for me this is a 7.5 ... maybe 8 in the fullness of time. So as an overall piece of work I am (after many plays) happy with the end result and happier still that Rush are still out there doing what they do better than any other band on the planet.

So what do I lack? I wish I knew. Maybe I will find out when I see them live.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good terrible mastering with horrendous compression but the actual music and album is a good one, 16 Dec. 2014
This review is from: Clockwork Angels (Audio CD)
This album is good however the one BIG let down is the horrible compression and distortion I can hear through my nice headphones it ruins the album somewhat However the actual music is brilliant with some really good bass lines and fantastic riffs and the Peartly exciting drum performance with some catchy memorable songs too just a shame about this awful Compression why are they trying to make things louder ? I can turn the volume up fine on my stereo thanks

5.0 out of 5 stars Going out for a drive., 11 July 2012
This review is from: Clockwork Angels (Audio CD)
Well it certainly makes me want to, when this new album is heard and then compared to Rush's largely good track record over the last 20 years. Not since Counterparts in 1993 have I been so encapsulated in such a new set of varied and rockin' songs. For me; Snakes & Arrows was a superb successor from Vapor Trails- but Clockwork angels raises the bar to even greater dizzying heights in a incredibly focused sound and by diversifying the scope & reach of the songs a little more, as Snakes & Arrows was undeniably a great hard rock album, it did however feel like a little bit of a departure from much of their previous works. Clockwork angels then, has a little sprinkling of everything, which spans across many areas of their material in their admittedly huge 19 album discography. Rather fittingly, a nicely suited artwork and expansive booklet is supplied for us in this new Digipak package to look through while we are listening.

The album fires into action with the long released "Caravan" and is most effective in this position as it sets the album into a memorable flow with it's highly addictive guitar rhythm and chorus. "BU2B" continues this trend as the next track passes us by, whilst the title track "Clockwork Angels" offers a more "Test for echo" sounding anthem. "The Anarchrist" is one of my favourites of the album. "Carnies" is a more hard rocking monolith, where-as the acoustic number of the "Halo effect" is no less welcome. "Seven cities of gold" for some reason reminds me of Counterparts with it's rather raw rock edge. While "The Wreckers" is the great Snakes and arrows song there never was. "Headlong flight, BU2B2 & Wish them well" are all outstanding songs to almost round off this musical enterprise in their own right; and indeed, as quite rightly so: "The Garden" is positioned to close the album with grace and it does not fail us, as it is possibly the best song of the album and one of the best they have written for many years.

Rush have produced an outstanding album here and it was indeed worth the wait. This is probably their best set of songs since the mid 80's with ease and it is obvious the band are reaching a new peak of popularity and musical success that they had originally set themselves with their widely regarded magnum opus "Moving Pictures" back in 1981. Considering their age now, and how long these guys have been involved in music, this surely has to be regarded as the rock triumph and highlight of the year?!. I overall was thoroughly impressed with this CD from the moment I heard it; and it does continue to get even better with the more listens you get with it. I am going for a long drive now out in the country through the peak of summer and little sunshine- with this CD on replay; to get to further grips with this excellent new album from my long-time favorite band. Top draw..,

‹ Previous | 1 2 319 | Next ›

Clockwork Angels (Dlp) [VINYL]
Clockwork Angels (Dlp) [VINYL] by Rush (Vinyl - 2013)