5.0 out of 5 stars Bliss!
My last cheap-o steam gen iron broke after 20 months, so I hot footed it to Asda to get one in the same price range (70) and it was just terrible, no more steam than a normal iron, no pressure, and the steam poured out of it for 30 seconds after pressing the steam button. I had visions of my three year old getting scolded. Back it went.

I really didn't want to...
Published 11 months ago by ws

1.0 out of 5 stars Spits
For a brand new steam iron, this one spits water horribly. Instead of a steady flow of steam available after only a brief warm up, this one takes an age to get going and then I find water marks all over what I am ironing. Going to send it back.
Published 9 months ago by Tilly

5.0 out of 5 stars Bliss!, 18 Sep 2013
This review is from: Morphy Richards Power Steam Elite 42223 Pressurised Steam Generator Ceramic Soleplate - Plum/Black (Kitchen & Home)

I really didn't want to spend so much on a new iron but the reviews for this one attracted me and in the end I hit buy. It's been the best thing I ever did.

For starters it has a TWO year guarantee. You just need to register your purchase at Morphy Richards to get two years (otherwise its 12 months).

It looks the bees knees, it really does. But the looks refect equally impressive functions and performance.

The tank holds a huge amount of water which is brilliant. Okay, this does add to the weight of the tank part so you do need a decent ironing board or a table to put the tank on. Establised steam gen iron owners will already know about the tank/base's weight anyway.

The iron itself is very light with a fabric setting dial that isn't easily knocked, and a ceramic plate (much better than a metal one). It glides over fabric.

You don't need to buy those ridiculously expensive cartridges for softening the water. I think I must have spent 50 on those in 18 months with my last steam gen. I could have bought a decent steam gen in the first place for what it cost me! This steam gen iron has self cleaning functionality, an indicator to tell you it needs descaling, and a very easy action to manually rinse out the boiler when descaling is necessary.

The steam control panel is so easy. A central on/off button and to the left the indicator that it's switched on, an indicator that the water tank needs refilling, and an indicator to tell you that it needs descaling. On the right are three buttons for the three steam levels. Press the appropriate one and wait for the light to stop flashing and you're good to go!

Heat-up time is very fast, within a couple of minutes I'd say. Much faster than my last steam gen.

As for ironing time, what can I say? It wipes the floor with my last steam gen. I got through five seven kilo loads of ironing yesterday with no effort and every garment was a pleasure to iron. I zipped through it. I've never ironed anything so quickly!

I won't look back to the cheaper irons now, this is worth every penny I spent and at the current price it's an absolute bargain.

I love my new iron :)

5.0 out of 5 stars A lot quicker than traditional ironing, 30 July 2014
SBno1 - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
As I do all the ironing for the week in one hit I can spend a few hours at the ironing board. Over the years I have become quite critical of irons and how they perform. This is my first venture into the steam generator market and I chose this as it had one of the best overall reviewer ratings for the price I was willing to pay. I have now done about 20 hours in total and I think it is far better than a traditional iron.

It is a bit daunting to look at and a bit on the cumbersome side, but it is easy enough to get up and running and there are no parts to assemble. Simply slide out the water tank from the font. Fill to the max line, slide back in and power up. There are only three buttons to use and that is the steam settings. The dial on the iron controls the plate temperature as with any other.

The iron itself is a lot lighter than a traditional iron as most of the steam mechanics and water etc are not needed. This lighter iron helps a lot when ironing for a few hours. The steam use takes a bit of getting used to as you have to keep a trigger button depressed all the time you want steam and release it a second before lifting the iron, but within a few shirts you will be used to it. It can also be alarming to hear the pump working as it is a bit loud and sounds like something is broken. The noise is normal and stops after a s few seconds and only reoccurs occasionally (depending on steam use). The steam can be generated when the iron is vertical or horizontal, but obviously the tank needs to be kept flat on its feet.

I found the lowest steam setting was as good as I needed it, only putting it up for particularly stubborn creases. You will need to keep a window open otherwise you are going to have a humid room with condensation build up on colder walls.

The whole block will fit on an ironing board if it has an area for steam generators. There is a good length of pipe and lead, but you may find it too short if you don't place the tank on the ironing board. The hot iron can then be safely placed on top of the water tank as it has silicone blocks to protect it. The silicone can easily take the temperature of the iron with no danger of melting. The wires and pipe can wrap around the tank for storage, but be careful they don't start twisting around and kinking as it may cause premature failure of the iron..

Storage is a bit of a problem as the whole thing has a bigger footprint and head room than a traditional iron. There is a descale light that come on after the end of 2 sessions. I thought my water was soft, but not according to the iron. Descaling is just a matter of letting the unit cool down, remove the tank and turn upside down. There is a large screw / nut under a rubber plate which can be removed using a metal plate that is hooked in underneath. Undo this and empty the boiler out, fill, rinse and repeat until no bits come out. The descale light may not go out straight away when next used, so give it a little time.

Bottom line: A bulky unit, but a lighter easier to use iron with plenty of steam. There is good control over the steam and the flow is even and steady with no spitting of muddy water as can happen with traditional irons. Not as good as a traditional iron when you just want to whip it out and iron one garment, but comes into its own when you have a load to do as it makes for a faster ironing session. Very happy with this purchase.

5.0 out of 5 stars Try it you wont regret it, 15 Aug 2013
Has sailed through everything so far and I have ironed laundry, bedding, curtains and lately steamed the school blazers. Can iron so many garments before needing to refill the water and ironing is so much quicker as only need to iron one side. Wish I had got one years ago and not sure I will ever go back to a traditional iron.

5.0 out of 5 stars Elaine Brown, 10 Aug 2013
The iron is very stylish , very light and very easy to use with a good sized water tank. The various steam settings are very useful from fairly mild to being very powerful which is great for getting the tough creases out in jeans etc. i would definitely recommend this product.

1.0 out of 5 stars Spits, 27 Nov 2013

1.0 out of 5 stars Dreadful Iron !!!, 11 April 2014
K. L. Collett "Karen" (UK) - See all my reviews
Was brilliant to start off with but after 6 months it deposited a load of gunk on my husbands shirt, ruining it and the ironing board cover and I couldn't clean the sole plate. The gunk has stuck completely stuck to it

4.0 out of 5 stars Great steam iron, 14 Aug 2013
The only downside is the size for storage but other than that makes ironing effortless with its three steam settings and huge reservoir (hence the size). Makes ironing easy and quick. Also love the sole plate, glides.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not operational after 6 months......, 20 May 2014
Loved this purchase when I first bought it in from Currys December 2013, however now totally useless as it will not descale and as I cannot locate the receipt unfortunately it will be in the bin next week.

3.0 out of 5 stars Initially amazed, 28 Nov 2013
It is an undoubtable improvement on my old iron. However, the iron started spouting liquid out when pressing the steam button after approx 3rd ironing session.

So pretty disappointed.. What was initially a five star is ultimately a three.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great quality, 12 Aug 2013
This iron is fantastic. Easy and quick to use, with clear instructions. The iron glides effortlessly over clothes and the steam function is great. Looks absolutely gorgeous too. This iron gives great results and I'm really pleased with it. Would definitely recommend.