Format: Audio CD|Change

on 24 January 2013
I have to say, I did not think Voivod had an album like this left in them. Listening to it, I felt almost as excited as I have in past having just bought Dimension Hatross or Nothingface. After two very mediocre albums -Katorz and Infini (and I completely respect the band's reasoning behind releasing them and utilizing late guitarist's Denis D'Amour's pre-recorded riffs as a homage to him), the band seems to be enjoying a renaissance with the addition of the new guitarist Daniel Mongrain.
His playing is truly exceptional, honouring Denis in inventiveness and the unorthodox approach to playing, he is in a league of his own and the band may yet come to reach new heights with him as they sound on this record as if they've been injected with a dose of adrenaline. The sound is very progressive and at times even revoking Killing Technology days, perhaps because of the return of the former bass player Jean-Yves Thierault and his distorted lines. This is probably band's best outing since Outer Limits.

If there is a complaint, it would have to be the juvenile theme and the execution of the artwork, especially considering Away's artistic abilities in this regard.

March on, Voivod! I look forward to future releases from the band I was about to write off...
on 28 January 2013
I had strong doubts about a Voivod album without founder member and songwriter Piggy ( Denis D'Amour, who sadly died of colon cancer in 2005 ). But after a couple of years of gigging with former bass player Blacky and fantastic new guitar player Chewy they've not only returned but knocked the ball out of the park with this one.

This is easily their best album since 1993s The Outer Limits and sounds far more like the Voivod of 1987-1990 than the stuff they've been releasing over the last decade. I really am floored as to how good this is, progressive, intricate thrash by a band re-energised. Welcome back and long may they continue.
on 24 March 2013
I'd started to doubt whether Voivod could still deliver an album that I could get into, but I was ecstatic to find that my doubts were completely unwarranted.
This album ranks right up there with the best from Voivod's progressive period. It's technical, it's progressive, it's quirky, it's catchy - everything I loved about Dimension Hatröss, Nothingface, The Outer Limits can be found in this album.
on 1 February 2013
I purchased this Deluxe mediabook version from here on amazon uk and had it shipped to the US because the price was the best at the time, and it was well worth it. This is Voivod's first really new material in 4 years (several live or demo material albums released though) and it was well worth the wait. This features the new gutiarist "Chewy" who replaced the late "Piggy" and the return of Blacky. From top to bottom, this album is way more energetic and mixed significantly better with better production than Infini and Katorzs. Those albums were good in their own right, and a great way to use Piggy's last work up as a tribute. This album is fast, and very reminiscent of Angel Rat and Outer Limits guitar work and song structure. This has the thrash elements, and the long technical Prog elements that both those albums had. I really enjoy the tracks Mechanical Mind, Kaleidos, and Kalskap O'kom, but in general all the tracks are very good.

For collectors like me there is the standard version with 10 tracks, this version with Deluxe mediabook, 2 stickers, and 2 bonus live at Roadburn 2012 tracks (Target Earth and Man in The Trees), The Box set version that includes a poster, belt, this Mediabook version, and the rare previously vinyl only "Live at Roadburn 2011" set (which I have also purchased). Finally, there is a difference between the European Mediabook and Japanese deluxe jewel case is the last 2 tracks being Tibal convictions (live at 2012 roadburn) and Nothingface (live at 2012 roadburn). I actaully own european mediapack, box set, and japanese versions. Hope this his helpful for those looking for the difference between versions.

Great album, long time fans will love this, new fans will see a good product also.
on 8 March 2013
In the aftermath of Piggy's Death, a lot of Fans were wondering whether Voivod could ever come back.

Well, the moment this CD Starts, all doubts go out the Window, this is a brilliant return to the slightly more abrasive King Crimson of Thrash Sound with a bit of every Era in the Songs.

30 Years and still going strong.
on 29 December 2014
This is a review for the vinyl version of Target Earth - the Vinyl arrived flat and played perfect without cleaning - the version I got is a Purple pressing which looks cool. The sound is clear and well defined I don't know if they did a different master for Vinyl but it sounds good. The album itself reminds me quite a lot of Nothingface so if you like that era of Voivod you should like this :)
on 2 February 2015
Bought this as a gift for a friend who has been a life long fan of this band, he was extatic to say the least, I asked him what he thought of it and he said they had not lost any of there flare and still rule, well that was not exactly what he said, there were some other words involved but I cannot put them on here lolol hahahahha To say the least anyone who is a fan of these guys buy this!!!
on 1 November 2015
Great album especially for newer voivod
on 25 October 2015
great album but i expect nothing less!